Trier, or Koblenz?? (mosel area)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having limited tme, and not to get overdosed, should i eliminate koblenz, or trier from this quick trip?

I was thinking of only doing "half of the mosel" cutting off near bernkastel-kues.. so.. is the UPPER or the Lower half the one you would choose? Am then thinking of moving over to the rhein, st . goar, boppard, and perhaps mainz if i go up to koblenz, or down and over to luxembourg if i do trier.

are either of these two itineraries more impressive/logical to anyone to help me make a decision?

thanks again. trying to pin all this down. so many hotels are closed in the winter! it is taking a bundle of time which i donīt have this week!

(i have three full days in the area.)
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM

I visited Trier and Koblenz couple times last year, and stayed at Trier for 3 nights. If you are interested in architecture and old town cnetre, Trier has much more to offer. It is quite easy to daytrip to Koblenz, as most trains along Mosel and Rhine stop at Koblenz.

What type of hotel are you looking for? I have booked hotels for late October and March without any problem.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:56 PM

I drove from Brussels to Frankfurt along the Mosel and my favorite part of the whole trip was Mainz. Especially if you like Medieval history. Of course the drive along the Mosel was amazing, beautiful and enchanting too.

Trier was nice and colorful but I would choose the half that includes Mainz. I feel like there were more castles at that end too.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

i really prefer the gasthof, and landhaus hotels, or farm stays that are family run and such a reasonable price. they usually have a restaurant downstairs, too. i used to have a good website for farm stays but canīt find it.

at least half of the ones i have contacted are closed.

thanks for the suggestions. a lot will depend on the weather and how "quickly" we do the region. i might have time for it all, although the days are so short now.. i doubt it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:23 AM
DAX

I also enjoyed Trier alot, it has a nice small town atmosphere. I've never stopped in Koblenz but has passed it on the train several times, it just never looked that inviting for a stop. In fact it looks rather like another generic boring german city. I'd like to hear other people's impressions of Koblenz. I realize there's the Deutches Eck, is it a "must see"?
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:37 AM

The Deutsches Eck is where the Rhine and the Mosel meet. There's huge statue of Emperor Wilhelm I on that spit of land. If you walk up the stairs you have a nice view on Ehrenbreitstein Fortress.
Koblenz is an attractive city with lots of monuments and historic buildings. Also some good shopping there!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:43 AM

If traveling by train, Koblenz is a very reasonable place to stay - not a destination, but a pleasant small city and an excellent base for train trips along both rivers. But as I recall, you're driving. On the Mosel, I'd stick to the Trier - Cochem stretch for sightseeing - 2 days? - then move over to the Rhine as you suggest. Drive to Braubach for a tour of Marksburg Castle (open year-round), cross over on the ferry across from Boppard, see the town, head south to St. Goar and maybe overnight in Bacharach if you want a quiet evening, or just visit Bacharach and overnight in Mainz if you are headed in that direction. Mainz has a small but very nice old town and pedestrians-only zone around the main cathedral - nice place to spend an evening. Bacharach will be a much quieter experience on an off-season evening. In Mainz, try to stay in or near the old town if possible - the Ibis is a few blocks south of it - comfortable and quiet, I thought - Hof Ehrenfels in the heart of it (but I haven't stayed there myself.)
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:49 AM

You might want to look at
www.trier-newsletter.de to help make up your mind. You can subscribe to an email version for free at that site that will be sent regularly.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear lincasanova:

Here are a few links I have saved for the Rhine/Moselle:

http://www.weingut-thielen.de/index1.html

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/accommo...hinemosel.html

Perhaps these will help.

Good luck,

MY
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

very helpful, all of you. thanks for the links. am looking into the place in old town mainz.

we will probably "wing it" one night as i have no idea how fast or slow we will progress on these routes.