homebase for mosel and rhine valley

Jul 9th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

homebase for mosel and rhine valley

Hello!
We would like to know where to set up a homebase for two nights to visit the Mosel and Rhine valleys. We will be arriving in Frankfurt in the morning and will have two nights and 2-3 days to spend in these areas before we move on the Romantic Road towns. We would prefer to stay at one hotel for both nights, unless you recommend staying one night on the Rhine and one night on the Mosel.

Thanks!
Jul 9th, 2003, 08:14 AM

You don't say how you'll be traveling, but I'll assume you have a car. Coming from Frankfurt, I'd say go down the Rhine to Koblenz, then up the Mosel to Cochem and spend one night there. On the second day, go farther up the Mosel all the way to Trier, and spend the second night there. What you want to do isn't exactly conducive to staying in one place for 2 days, because the roads out of there are somewhat limited. Good luck.
Jul 9th, 2003, 08:37 AM

Cabro, although Wayne has some good tips, I'd suggest only the middle Rhine valley with the time you have available.

In the area between Rudesheim and Koblenz, which is roughly 70 km, you have about 25 castles on either side of the river, as well as towns like Rudesheim, Bacharach, Mainz, St. Goars and others where you can enjoy good food and great sights to see.

We like to use Assmanshausen as a home base and you can cross the river by ferry nearby at Lorch, making it easy to skip back and forth. We stay at the Hotel Cafe Post in Assmanshausen, which is clean, comfortable, friendly and right on the river. They can be found at http://www.rheinhotel.com/hotel-cafe-post/index.html.

Best of luck.
Jul 9th, 2003, 09:41 AM

In June we used Koblenz as a home base for 6 days. We did the Rhine, Mosel, Cologne. We left from Koblenz to go to the airport in Frankfurt for our return flight. We used trains and buses. We stayed across the street from the train station so it was very handy. We also enjoyed Koblenz.
Jul 9th, 2003, 08:51 PM

I would save the Mosel for another trip. You really have only time enough for one or the other and my choice would be the middle Rhine. I stayed in Boppard for 5 days and could only manage a day trip to the Mosel as there is so much to see and do in the middle Rhine area. Have fun.

Larry J
Jul 10th, 2003, 02:10 AM

Lee - it's Stacey - I've lost your email address. Good to see you're still out there!
Jul 10th, 2003, 07:56 AM

I think you have rec'd some good advice. It may help you plan your time and nights if you were to identify with a little more specificity what you want to see/do. We enjoyed staying in Bacharach, hiking up to Burg Stahlek (sp?) above Bacharach, taking a boat ride from Bacharach to St. Goar touring Rhinefels in St. Goar. That could consume a day. We also liked hiking to and touring Burg Eltz, and visiting Cochem and its castle. With travel time, that could be a day, too. We also spent about 24 hours in Trier, which is not as quaint as some of the other towns, but has a lot to offer.
Jul 11th, 2003, 02:23 AM

Why not stay in kaiserslautern? It's a great home base to visit all the rhein and mosel area's.
Jul 11th, 2003, 04:41 AM

Pardon the interruption, folks.

Stacey, it's good to hear from you, it's been awhile hasn't it? I'm still at [email protected].

How's the ankle?