trenitalia: train type abbreviations

Here are what I know:
ES*: EuroStar
IC: InterCity
ICN: InterCity night
IR: Interregionale
R: regional

Does anybody know what kind of trains the
the icon that looks like a shuttle bus represent? I am browsing trains from Siena to Pisa and saw the shuttle bus icon and wonder what that is.

Thank you.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe you are talking about a route serviced by an actual bus, not a train, as some connections are.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 07:17 AM
GAC

Here are four icons you missed:

D: Diretto (a blend of IR and R)
EXP: Espresso (long distance night trains, usually with sleepers and bunks)
EC: Eurocity (international fast train such as Rome to Munich)
ECN: Eurocity Night
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks GAC. I thought I got them all.

Interesting. shuttle bus. Did anyone take these train buses before and how was your experience? I wonder if I should stay away from them. I am going to Siena from Rome. If I need to take a bus anyway for a train trip, wouldn't it make sense to just take a bus all the way?
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 11:34 PM
tcl

Hi Euro2004. I'm also deciding my transportation for Rome to Siena. I'm leaning towards bus all the way because I wouldn't need to switch from train to bus. Besides I've read that the bus station is inside the city walls of Siena while the train station is outside. Can anyone correct me on this?
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 02:40 AM

Euro

You can also take the ES* to Florence and there pick up an express bus to Siena. While somewhat more expensive, the time expended is about the same and more to the point, you have much greater flexibility in choosing your departure/arrival time.

We did this in reverse (Siena to Rome) and were very pleased we did because we got into Rome in time to get to the walking tour offered of St. Peter's - a highlight of the trip. In your case, if you take the route I suggested, there is less likelihood of delays.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:34 AM
ira

Hi all

At
Helpful Information: Italy
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340

you will find information on reaching Siena by train and bus from Rome, including how to get schedules.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ira. I read that very useful FAQ but it has too much good info that I skipped the Rome-Siena part. It is a very good point to go to Florence first, even though geographically Siena is in between. Since I am going to Florence as well, I have decided it is best to me to stay at Florence first and do a day-trip to Siena from there. Thanks for the tip.

Hi tcl, based on what the forum and books say, buses may seem to be a easier solution for Rome-Siena than trains. The train station is about 3-4km from the city center. Buses stop at Pisazza Gramsci, which is about 1/2 km away (10 min walking). Trains needs a transfer at Chiusi as well. However, trains run later at night and buses leave at Rome TE, 4 metros away from Rome Termini. I will live next to Termini, so to me, both methods need a transfer. Some people like me are paranoid about missing stops taking buses , so it really depends. Have a good trip.