trenitalia prices

Feb 11th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

trenitalia prices

I was checking trenitalia.com for several routes within Italy, but the "no" button indicated they could not be bought on line. I could find no way to get the prices of the tickets. Can you only do that if you're buying on line?

Vera
Feb 11th, 2006, 11:55 AM

There could be a couple of reasons (but I am not an expert).

1. If you want an international route you have to select International on the frunt page. Otherwise it gives the timetable but you can't buy tickets.

2. They only sell online a certain number of months in advance 3 or 4 or something. So try the same route with an earlier date and see if it lets you buy then. If it does then that is why!

Hope this helps.

Feb 11th, 2006, 12:20 PM

You dont mention what route you are interested in taking. If you are traveling on a common route with a variety of train choices, simply click on the next line and the prices will show.

The shorter routes that have only 2nd class or local trains are usually not very expensive and can be easily purchased on the day of travel.
Feb 11th, 2006, 12:21 PM
ira

Hi V,

You can't buy online today or any later than 60 days from today.

Feb 11th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

I'm not trying to buy on line--just trying to get prices. I tried various routes and had no problem getting the schedule. I just did it again--here are the details:
On the original page I entered from Naples to Florence, 10-05-2006, 9:00. Schedules of several trains came up. I clicked on the number 1 (first choice of schedules) The next page showed that train's schedule and choices of "next solution" or "prezzo" When I click "prezzo" I get a page with a list of links in Italian and a phrase in Italian with "unable to contact server system" in English.
Is there some other way to find the prices??

Vera
Feb 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM

First, go to the English part (click where it says "English" (in small letters) somewhere at the top.)

Instead of entering 10/05/2006, enter 10/03/2006, which will allow you to click on "Buy".
Feb 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM

If you're on the Italian version of Trenitalia, you need to put some date out in the future....say Feb 25 and spell the city name in Italian Roma,Firenze,Milano etc. Be careful to notice that they will have multiple stations. The main station in Rome is Roma TE,(for Termini) the main station in Florence is FI.SMN for "Firenze Santa Maria Novella" All the big cities have more than one station.

Bill
Feb 11th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Vera
Someone in these forums advised me that you can only ask for a price within two months of travel. When you select book the price will come up but you don't have to continue booking. Hope this helps you.
Feb 11th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the two-month warning. So I'm not nuts. It is not possible to get prices for May yet.
For others' information, I did click on English and enter the town names in English. But at the end it went back to an Italian page. Good suggestion to put an earlier date in to find out at least what they're charging presently.
Vera
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:49 AM
ira

Hi Vera,

The prices and schedules won't change significantly between now and May.

Feb 13th, 2006, 02:20 AM

Vera - Just put in tomorrow's date.

To get the fare for a particular train, go to the 'Buy' column on the right-hand side and click on the trolley symbol of the train you want.

Naples-Florence by ES is

€ 42.35 2nd cl.
€ 63.00 1st cl.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Feb 13th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Steve and Ira: I'm gonna owe you BIG TIME by the time I get back from this trip. You're always there with kind advice.
Vera
Feb 13th, 2006, 08:17 PM

You can also go to www.railsaver.com and input your route. It will calculate the total cost (you can request 1st class, then 2nd class for comparison), and then it will tell you whether purchase one of several rail passes would save you any money. It will tell you the cost of each segment and indicate when no 1st class is available.