Trenitalia HELP PLEASE!

Search

Trenitalia HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trenitalia HELP PLEASE!

I went to the trenitalia site to grab 9 Euro fares for Venezia to Domodossola on June2... every time I go to purchase it says "Sorry your time has expired" or something like that. Am I doing something wrong???? I registered and signed in first but don't know what else to do... I can't type any faster! Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 04:21 PM

I am no expert, but seems like from what I have read that you may be too far out. There are many experts here and I know they will help.
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Actually says "We are sorry, you overcome the allowed time to reserve" Does that mean I need to wait for the 120 days... which would be today, but maybe tomorrow?
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 04:36 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
From seat61.com website.

Troubleshooting: 1. No trains appear in the search results or only 1 or 2 trains at odd times of day.

Reason: Data isn't fully loaded yet for that date, either because you're looking at a date more than 90 days ahead, or at a date after the twice-annual timetable change, on the 2nd Sunday in June and the 2nd Sunday in December, when they are always late loading the data and the 90 days often slips to 60 day or even less.
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 05:04 PM

Your route requires a change of train (or two) along the way. I suspect one of the trains for the departure time you have chosen is an Regionale (R) train. R tickets cannot be purchased online more than 7 days in advance. Plus, it is a detriment to purchase R tickets online because they have limited use and more restrictions--and no benefit for advance purchase since there are no reserved seats or discounts.

For example, you may have chosen a route that is these two trains:
Venezia SL to Milano CLE (Frecciabianca)
Milano CLE to Domodossola (Regionale)

If you try to purchase this complete itinerary for June in one purchase, the computer will refuse the purchase.

You could buy the Frecciabianca ticket now, and probably get a good discount, but wait until you are in Italy to buy the Regionale ticket.
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 05:48 PM

You cannot book tickets more than 120 days in advance.

You cannot get a €9 Super Economy fare for the entire route because you will have to change trains in Milan.

To get the cheapest overall discount fare, you will need to book two tickets: Venice-Milan on a high-speed train (€9) and Milan-Domodossola on an EC train (€9).
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 06:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you want a better chance at discounts, you probably should break your journey into Venice/Milan and Milan/Domodossola. Milan/Domodossola has either slow R trains (no discount tickets, but is under 10€) or the EC train which goes on to Switzerland.

There are super economy available when you enter Venice/Domodossola, but a lot fewer options to buy because most are combined with the R trains. Search for one that is an AV and EC combo. When you click go and through to the next screen, the super economy fare pops up.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help. I was able to get Venice - Milan for 9 euro each and then had trouble with the second leg of the journey and ended up with 3 sets of tickets... YIKES. If I have to eat the extra 2 sets I think it will still have saved me money. I tried to e-mail Trenitalia and I will see where that leads.... wondering if I can go through my credit card company. The first two times I tried to order, I got wierd errors but then when I looked at my e-mails they went through.