Travels in Northern Austria?

Sep 27th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Tracy

Travels in Northern Austria?

My husband and I are traveling in the Bavarian region for the week. Should we go to Innsbruck? Are there things to do there or should we head to Salzburg instead?

If to Salzburg, how long of a drive from Garmisch?

Will we have difficulty going over the border?

Thanks!

Sep 27th, 2001, 10:38 PM
Gar

hi there,
sorry, I dont know much about Innsbruck. But traveling from Garmisch to Salzburg is about 2.5 hours. Easy going, no probs at the border. Just tell the renting comp. You are going to Austria and make shure You have the "pickerl" (ticket) to use the Austrian highways. The scenery is nice, perhaps You can do a sidetrip to Kufstein and/or Bad Reichenhall.
Have fun
Gar

Sep 28th, 2001, 06:48 AM
mikey

Tracy: Been to both a few times and would suggest you see Salzburg. Many more things to do. Get up to the fortess and wander the city. If your in to the Sound of Music take a tour. Have a great time.

Sep 28th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Emily

You need to purchase a "vignette" for auto travel in Austria. The rental car folks will not give it to you. Stop in any gas station or border crossing store where you see the "VIGNETTE " signs. Hefty fines if caught without one!

Sep 28th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Old Fashioned

Salzburg, hands down. Much more to do and even though it may sound tacky, do take one of the Sound of Music tours. They are fun, and you get to see some nice scenery.

Salzburg is beautiful, and be certain to take the funicular to the Hohensalzburg, get off at the top and go to the opposite side of the city and take a look...breathtaking. The tour isn't any big deal though.

Enjoy

OF

PS Stiglbrau is an excellent Austrian beer. Stiglbrau and Zum Hirschen are two nice hotels where we have stayed. Stiglbrau has a very nice beer garden as well.

Sep 28th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Roger

I would suggest the tiny village of ST. Ragemund. It was the home of Franz Jagrstatter, who was guillotined by the Gestapo in 1943 for refusing to fight for Nazi Germany. For a moving account of Mr. Jagrstatter, I would recommend the great historian John Lukacs' chapter on Jagrstatter in his book DESTINATIONS PAST. There is a small religious monument to Jagrstatter in St. Ragemund. Jagrstatter is being considered for sainthood in the Catholic Church at present.