Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling to and from Heathrow: the options

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:42 PM
Dale

This is my third post on the recent trip we took to London (the first was the benefits on going to London in winter; the second, giving an A-1 rating for the Aston’s Apartments). This one deals with the popular topic of getting to and from Heathrow. This was my fifth trip to London and I have now tried almost all the ways there are to get to and from Heathrow: the Underground, the Airbus, the Feltham Rail link and a private car service. (The only one that I haven’t tried is the National Express service) With this experience I feel qualified in saying that there really is no one best way to get from Heathrow to inner London and back out again. The “best way” for you will depend on the number of people travelling, where your final destination is in London, and how much luggage you have. This trip we three travellers took the tube into London as I knew from previous expereince it would be really easy to find a seat on the tube and we had minimum luggage to deal with at a non-peak time and we were just a short walk from the tube station in Gloucester Rd. Also, we saved quite a bit doing it this way, as our Canadian dollar sure is weak against the GBP.

Going back out though at early morning, we decided not to use the tube, but arranged for a car through Ray Skinner’s London Transfers. We didn’t want to deal with rush-hour crowds and to be worried about possible tube delays. Mr. Skinner’s service was great. He was right on time and the perfect gentlemen in helping us with the luggage. After a very pleasant ride out to Heathrow, he let us off directly across from the Air Canada check in counter. You can’t beat that! The price worked out to be around what it would have cost us to take the Heathrow express without the extra cab fare to get to Paddington and without having to walk any distance from where the Express lets you off.

So here’s my opinion. I would say if there are three or more travelling, or regardless of the number, if you have a lot of luggage, then I would say the private car service is the best option. If there are two travelling or just one with a minimum load, then base your decision on where you’re going to be in inner London. If you’re staying right on or near the AirBus route or the Piccadilly Underground line, then those are your best options. If you’re going to be in the Paddington area, take the Heathrow express; if Victoria Station area is your destination, take the National Express service. If you’re staying near Waterloo or need to catch a train from the Station then consider the Feltham Rail link. This under advertised service involves taking a bus to the Feltham rail station (just outside Heathrow) and then a direct train right into Waterloo. It’s probably not the speediest option, but it’s the easiest way to get to Waterloo.

Again, I hope this info is of some use to people. Signing off for now,

Dale

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:43 PM
xxx

Since you used Ray Skinner, one of the most expensive car services, your estimates are off a bit. Actually several other car services will make the break even point at two people instead of three. I used Swiss Cottage Cars recommended here frequently and it was at least 1/3 less than Ray Skinner.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Betsy

Dale, could you type in the titles of your other two posts here? The search function doesn't bring them up under your name or your topic. I'd like to read them!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:42 AM
kate

There is one other factor you might want to consider. You might conclude that it's best to use one form of transporation into London, and another one back.

For example, booking a car service to take you to the airport is frequently cheaper than having them pick you up (eg. Swiss Cottage charged 21 pounds from my flat to go the airport, but 24 pounds to take me back). Also, there is the risk of a waiting charge on airport pick-ups (although they check your flight arrival time) - if for example you get delayed in customs or baggage longer than the standard time. Also, you do have to walk to the car (which is sometimes a bit of a distance into the parking lot). But I agree with Dale that taking a car to the airport is great, and a very good value, in many circumstances.

Another factor to consider is the current construction at Baker St station (which is the link between certain NS tube routes and Paddington Station for the Heathrow Express). Last I heard, you couldn't get off, Northbound, on the Jubilee or Bakerloo lines at Baker St until the summer of 2003 (although you can travel on the E-W lines, and Southbound). This means that, if you're coming into London on the Paddington Express, then transferring to the tube, you're fine. But on the way back to the airport, if you're coming from South of Baker St (e.g. Bond St, Oxford Circus, Green Park), you can't get off the train to transfer to the line that takes you to Paddington. Another reason why taking a car to the airport is often the best choice.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Dale

In response to Mr/Ms "X" re the cost of London Transfer, it was actually cheaper for the three of us to use the car service. Mr. Skinner charged us 29 GBP. The fare for three tickets on the Heathrow express would have been 35 GBP, plus cab fare to get there from South Kensington. I believe Mr. Skinner said his fares were going up, but I think it's still a bargain for three or more travellers and well worth the money. Trust me, with the exchange rates the way they are now for the Canadian dollar, we planned our expenses very carefully.

Don't get me wrong - I know the Heathrow Express is great, but I think this time, the car service was the best option for us.

***RE: Kate's comments, yes, she's right. Sometimes it's better to go into London one way, as we did on the tube, and then back another, by the car service. The big price advantage of going into London on the tube from Heathrow is that you can buy an all day London transport pass, either the LT Pass if you are arriving before 9:30 AM or the non-peak time pass if after 9:30. Sure works out well for people like us who stay near the Piccadilly line tube stops.

***For Betsy, if you wish, I can e-mail you the other posts to you, as I think the search function is not always up to date. Alternatively, you can just go back a few days in the previous posts. All were made yesterday (Jan. 23) and Wed. (Jan. 22).

Happy travels,
Dale

Old Nov 8th, 2003, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread may be from nearly a year ago, but I just wanted to post that on my search for info about getting into the city from Heathrow, Dale's post has probably been the most helpful of all.

Thank you!!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 09:06 PM

In regards to the post about Swiss Cottage Cars for transport to the airport is that by any chance associated with the Swiss Cottage Hotel? If not, can anyone recommend the best way for 3 to travel from the Swiss Cottage Hotel to London Gatwick..flights leave on a Tuesday Mid Morning..any information is appreciated.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 06:23 AM

txbandit, have you tried asking the Swiss Cottage Hotel if they can recommend someone for airport transport? Call, fax or send them an email.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:44 AM
hms

Could someone recommend what they think would be the best and/or cheapest way to get from Gloucester Road area to Heathrow New Year's morning?
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:30 PM

Hi Dale and Kate

When was the last time you used Ray Skinner and Swiss Cottage car services ? The rates you mentioned seem to be a lot higher than that quoted in the website of Swiss Cottage (34 pound pick up from airport to central London and 28 pounds from London to airport (the difference I assume accounts for the waiting time for pick up at the airport). If as Kate said that Swiss Cottage's rates are up to 1/3 lower than Ray Skinner, that puts Ray Skinner's rates about 40 pounds. But Dale said he used Ray Skinner for 29 pounds only (for 3 passengers). The rates I obtained from the web site I assume must tbe current rates.

Dale, do you know whether Ray Skinner has a website ?

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
His website is: www.london-transfers.com.

Quotes a price of 34 GBP for up to 3 people and 3 pieces of luggage.

HTH
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 06:24 PM

Your quote is a little misleading, obxgirl. That is the quote for delivering you TO Heathrow. The price for PICK UP FROM HEATHROW is 39 pounds and only includes one hour of waiting time.

I'm confused by your post, Raymond. You mention prices quoted in the Swiss Cottage Car website. Do they now have a website? That's news to me. And they do not charge extra for waiting. They take the responsibility for checking on your flight and not arriving too early. Still we got very delayed once within the airport (thanks to luggage) and still there was no waiting charge. Just this past May they still charged us 25 pounds to pick up at Heathrow and deliver us to our flat in Covent Garden. So yes that is approximately 1/3 less than Ray Skinner for the same route. Although Swiss Cottage Cars doesn't have a website for booking, the phone call costs me less than a dollar -- a lot less than the $23.00 extra charge. I have no idea how Dale got 10 pounds off the usual price from Ray Skinner.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 06:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good point, Patrick, thanks for posting the correct info!
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:26 PM

Patrick,

The website for Swiss Cottage is www.swisscottagecars.com. The rate for airport pickup to central London is 34 pounds with half an hour waiting time allowed, after that waiting time is charged at 6 pounds per hour or part of. Return jouney to airport is 28 pounds. So looks like the price has gone up since you used it last. Ray's price is 39 pounds (34+5) for up to 1 hour waiting time.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 04:44 AM

Thanks for posting latest rates for Ray Skinner and Swiss Cottage Cars and for their respective web addresses. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful folks on this board are.

I'm off to London on Thanksgiving night, for only 4 days, but am looking forward to it as it were my first ever trip to London instead of my 5th or 6th. Christmas lights will be on, trees will be decorated and the stores are open!!
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 04:53 AM

So, it looks like Swiss Cottage finally did a website and to "pay for it" has upped their prices. Damn!! But I'm curious. I couldn't find any prices on their website. Did you send a quote to get those figures?? I just send an email asking if my Heathrow - Covent Garden trip is now going to be 34 pounds instead of the usual 25. I'll be curious to see what they say.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 05:26 AM
ron

Patrick, to find the prices on the website, click on "Bookings" and then click where it says, "Please click here for our price list (opens in a new window)".

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 09:59 AM

Hmmm. Maybe it would have helped if after I originally clicked "bookings" I would have actually read what I saw, instead of just seeing the blank form and leaving. LOL

So, in six months they went from 25 pounds including no charge for waiting to 34 pounds with a half hour of waiting or 40 pounds if one hour of waiting? That's what I call a price increase! Do you think it costs them that much to add the website? Frankly I'd rather be calling them to save the money.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 10:06 AM
ron

Patrick, I think that you have been promoting them so much here that they have been forced to increase their prices to balance demand with supply.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 10:09 AM

Has anyone used www.justairports.com? Their website quoted a total roundtrip fare of 45 pounds (25 from airport + 20 return) from Heathrow to W1 and back to Heathrow for a standard 4 passenger sedan. Seems quite a bit cheaper than everyone else's prices but wondering if they are reliable. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -