travelling in italy

Search

travelling in italy

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travelling in italy

we're going to italy in Aug with our 1 yr old baby and we're thinking on whether to drive or take public transport. Places that we plan to visit are Rome, Vatican, Lanciano, San Giovanni Rotondo, Pisa, Milan and Venice. We are actually going to stay in Italy for 7 days as we're on transit. While driving may be more convenient given our luggages & baby but the unfamiliarity with the roads may be dangerous.
Any advice? thanks.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:16 AM
rex

I don't know where Lanciano and San Giovanni Rotondo are, nor why you are going there, but if they are important to you, then you should probably cut out Milan and Pisa - - and one of the other two - - if you only have seven days.

You might want a car rental for the days you re in Lanciano and San Giovanni Rotondo. Otherwise no, for Rome or Venice.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:17 AM

Are you actually planning on visiting six places in 7 days in Italy with a baby? I'd consider drastically shortening the itinerary. Plus it will be August and very hot.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Same as previous posters. Besides, Milan is not that great a place. Nor is Pisa. I suggest you only do Rome and Vatican (same city really) and then Venice. Depending on where your flight out of Italy leaves, then maybe add in Milan, but not for more than one day. YouŽll have enough with Rome and Venice already. Summer will be hot and with an infant youŽll eant to make easy transfers between cities. Rome-Venice is very doable by train. If you insist on the other destinations, rent a car.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:32 AM

I agree. Your itinerary is impossible for 7 days or even for twice that time. Suggest you spend 4 days in Rome (plus Vatican)and 3 days in Venice. If you already have airline tickets, leave Venice in time to make your flight. If not, arrange to fly into Rome and out of Venice. Italy's train system is great. If you stick to cities, you won't need a car.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Well, you'll save money on hotels with this itinerary since you will be driving all over Italy every night just to get from place to place. Please decide between Milan/Venice and San Giovanni Rotondo/Lanciano. With seven days, I'd personally skip Milan and Pisa and split my time between Venice and Rome or Rome and the two shrines (Lanciano/SGR).
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:43 AM
ira

Hi K,

You won't want a car in Rome and Venice.

For Rome-Lanciano-San Giovanni Rotondo, www.mappy.com says it's a daytrip by car.

www.trenitalia.com says it will take 5 hrs to get from Rome to Lanciano.

Pisa is about 3 hr from Rome. I suggest a daytrip to Orvieto (about 1 hr by train) instead.

You might want to consider driving from Rome to Venice via L and SGR with a stop along the way. Ancona might be OK.

Old May 16th, 2005, 09:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That sounds impossible (to see 6 different cities which are not close together in only 7 days).

I too would say go just to Venice and Rome, by train between them.
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:26 AM
ira

Hey guys,

Look up the route Rome-L-SGR-R. It's a day trip by car.

Old May 16th, 2005, 10:17 AM

There is no way I would go to Abruzzo and Puglia from Rome as a daytrip, and I've driven in that area of Italy before; the OP has not. Add a one year old into the mix and that is the daytrip from hell.

Via Michelin (who's travel times are fast, in my experience) says it's 2 1/2 hours from Rome to Lanciano. The OP can get there in the late morning, then it does take time to see the shrine. I would eat in Lanciano rather than SGR so if the OP can have a very quick lunch and be on the road by 1 pm, Via Michelin says it's two hours from Lanciano to SGR. That would be almost impossible as the winding mountain road up to SGR is always bumper to bumper traffic. The last time we were there, it took almost 90 minutes just to get from the turnoff on the S89 up to the church. If they are lucky the OP might get there by 3:30. There is usually at least an hour long line to get down to the crypt and another 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hour wait to get to Padre Pio's cell and chapel. If the OP wants to see the church or attend Mass, that is of course more time. If everything flows right, the OP might be able to see the entire complex before it closes at 6:30, but that doesn't leave any time to see the old church, the hospital or any other sights in SGR related to Padre Pio. Via Michelin says it's about a four hour drive back to Rome, putting them there at 10:30 or 11 if they don't stop to eat dinner.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:03 PM
rex

Bringing your question back up "to the top" since it is your first time here - - (how do I know that? click on your own name; this is a valuable tip that Fodors fails to tell you about, when they send you the e-mail confirming your registration).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:26 PM

Oh kensel, just 7 days in Italy (does this mean 7 nights or 6 nights?) with a one year old. I would stay in one spot, wherever you wish. An apartment for sure, with room for your little one to sleep while you and your husband are in another room to relax, talk etc. And since you will be in Italy in August with a baby make sure it has airconditioning on demand. And August, with the heat and humidity to boot? I strongly suggest that you do a lot of research regarding this trip. There is no way, and I cannot stress this strongly enough, that your travel plans for Italy would work at all. You aren't even giving yourself time to travel between all these places. You asked for advice. That is mine. Also, are you considering the day you arrive and the day you depart Italy. Is this part of the 7 days? Dear one, you need to do a whole lot of research and get realistic.

You can have a special visit in Italy, but not with the plans you presently have.
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

hi all... thank you so much for all the valuable advice. they really made us think twice abt our plans. The reason why we had decided to visit so many places in such short time is that we may not get another chance to visit it again as we reside in Asia. We also know that if we have so many places to visit, we may be on very tight schedule thus our plan was to be very specific in our travel. Rome, Vatican, Assisi, Lanciano & SRS are to be visited for religious purposes while Pisa, Milan & Venice are for tourist sights. We thought we might be able to cover so many places if we are specific in our locations at the different places. We are not really particular abt a relax holiday as it is really a rare chance for us to go. We might do a combi of car & train if we decide to go ahead with our initial plan & we cant agree more that our research muz be very thorough.
but we welcome your advice & suggestions as they really help us in our planning.
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:06 AM

So you are adding Assisi? If you're interested in pilgrimage sights, why not also add Orvieto (Eucharistic Miracle), Cascia (Eucharistic Miracle and St. Rita!), and Loreto (Holy House). You'll need all the graces you receive from the visits to accomplish this itinerary.