Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling Glasgow-York-Salisbury-London...phew!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Hoping for a little advice on transportation. For most of our Sept/Oct trip in the UK we are catching trains and I was able to get some great cheap fares by booking early. However this leg is problematic in that I can't find reasonable fares for these legs. Is it going to be cheaper for us to hire a car between Glasgow and Salisbury?

Many thanks!! Ness
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 12:06 AM

Usually, it doesn't make sense to get cross-country trains from Northern England to Salisbury. It's almost always quicker and cheaper to go to London, then get a train to Salisbury (and, if you're booking in advance, to do that bit via the Megatrain booking engine, than which nothing on earth is cheaper). It's also almost always a lot cheaper and quicker by train than by car.

For a single York-London ticket, if the normal booking sites aren't to your liking, you might investigate the Grand Central Railways site. York-London is one of the very few intercity rail journeys in Britain where's there's true competition between different operators taking the same route with the same number of stops.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 07:21 AM

I think pricing is only to 17, September. Perhaps wait a week or so?
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 07:24 AM

get a trian from galsgow down to brimingham then one to reading then one to saisbury..maybe that will workout cheaper
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It might be worth looking at Flybe.com to see the price of a flight from Glasgow to Southampton. At the moment the early flights at the beginning of October are around £5 + taxes (so about £30 a person). From Southampton Airport there are regular trains to Salisbury taking about 50 minutes.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't see how either the train to B'ham/Reading or flying to S'hampton could work for the OP -- since I assume they want to see York.

Flanner is no doubt right that the best way from York to Salisbury is via London.

(Now - if you actually have no interest in York - then flying to Southampton makes a lot of sense.)
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whoops - my error - I had disregarded that you wanted to do York on the way.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all - some great food for thought. Flying makes sense but yes, we were keen to see a couple of places along the way. I will try again wth the train advance bookings and see what I can come up with. Thanks so much!
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM

You might try Crosscountry Trains www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk

We took a direct train to/from Oxford/York recently, and I believe the train originated in Reading. You can get a train from Reading to Salisbury. The trip from Oxford to York ( train continues to Edinburgh) took about 3 1/2 hours and would involve one change between York and Salisbury at Reading. I think there is also a train from Salisbury to York via Bristol with a change at Bristol. Of course, you can also get a direct train from Glasgow to York.