Car Leasing in France

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Leasing in France

I am looking at leasing a car in France for the 21 day driving portion of my upcoming trip. We've rented cars in several countries in Europe in the past several years (all through Auto Europe, with the exception of one which we arranged directly through Hertz), but we have never leased a car. Since I'm familiar with Auto Europe, I know that they partner with Peugot on a buy back program and am looking into that one. What other leasing / buy back programs are there? Also, is there anything I should be aware of when leasing versus renting? Thanks in advance for any advice / tips / suggestions!
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 04:00 AM

I once leased with Kemwell, although it was quite a while ago. I don't remember anything different from renting a car except you got a brand new car and it was less expensive than renting (at that time). Can't think of anything that was different on the contract.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 05:20 AM

I've leased cars through the Peugot program a few times, and the only things that are different from renting are that you get a new car (cool) and you have to take it in for service after the first 5000 km of driving (that's an interesting experience - you do kind of have to speak the language for that).
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 05:59 AM

StCirq - who pays for the 5,000 km service? Is it covered under the leasing contract?
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 06:10 AM

Yes, the leasing company pays for it. I got a voucher, which I presented to the garage that did the service.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 06:24 AM

Thanks! Good info to store for the future. Someday I hope to have enough time and money to spend a few months in France driving around seeing small towns and lots of churches!
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. StCirq, I thought that there was a difference in insurance coverage too - my understanding was that with leasing you get full collision damage, theft and TP liability coverage with zero deductible, whereas AutoEurope's website is indicating that for car rentals in France the only insurance option carries a HUGE deductible. (Yes, I know we could decline insurance and rely on my CC coverage, but we prefer not to do that after an unsettling experience with the CC coverage a couple of years ago).

I've done some checking on AutoEurope's website re their Peugot program, and I'm a little disgruntled because there are significantly different prices for US citizens versus Canadian citizens. For my dates, it's showing $1,135 US for US citizens, versus $1,643 Canadian (which is roughly $1,400 US). I checked Kemwel too, which says that its rates are only for US citizens, and their website doesn't offer an option for Canadians.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM

I think that the first service is longer now. It is based on a service indicator, and mine was at 12 months rather than kms when I had done 15000 km

Peter
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Don't use the website - call them. Tell them you want the Canadian price. I can almost guarantee they'll give it to you. The prices probably predate the major change in exchange rates.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 01:39 PM

I believe the decisive factor in the lease/rent saga is the length of collision protection covered by your credit card. Some cards offer coverage up to 28 days but many cards cover only 21 days.

If you need a car for a period of time which exceeds your credit card coverage, leasing becomes very attractive.

http://www.renault-eurodrive.com/
http://www.peugeot.com/services/openeurope/en/
http://www.autofrance.net/
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Sixt has good rates.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM

I used www.ideamerge.com twice to lease a car in Europe. Both occasions were fantastic. The first time, I returned my car in Milan and had the pickup guy waiting outside the departure gate for us. We pulled up, signed a paper while he took our luggage out, he took the car, we went into the airport! Great service and soooo easy.

Last year, leased a car in Paris and returned to Paris. Once again, easy process. Had a little accident...ripped the gas door off of the car. No problem, no delay.

I highly recommend.

If car is totalled, stolen, etc. a new car is provided at no cost. That was my selling point.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 03:11 PM

I did the Kemwel lease a few years ago. I think Kemwel and Auto Europe are now one, but both have websites.

I picked mine up in Toulouse and left it in Biarritz.

You get a new car and 100% insurance coverage, don't worry about filling the gas tank before returning. VIP treatment all the way around.

I would definitely recommend them.

Joan