Search

Travelling Cheaply in London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelling Cheaply in London

Hi

I would like to trouble you with some questions on travelling in London, Any help would be much appreciated.

We (2 of us) would like to travel within london for 2 days and then travel from the city to Stansted Airport on the 2nd day. What would be cheapest travel card that we should go in for?

How about if its just a days travel in London?Is there a seperate and cheap travel card if its a one day sight seeing in London?

Is Madam Tassauds museum in the outskirts of the city and would it not be covered by any travel card?

Advice to get around cheaply in the travelling maze in London would be helpul.

cheers
Gavin

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:46 AM

We (2 of us) would like to travel within london for 2 days and then travel from the city to Stansted Airport on the 2nd day. What would be cheapest travel card that we should go in for? >>>>>
Just buy two daily travel cards. These become somewhat cheaper if your first journey is after 9.30 am

How about if its just a days travel in London?Is there a seperate and cheap travel card if its a one day sight seeing in ?>>>>

Yes a one day travel card - again these become cheaper after 9.3o. You can buy them at stations and in news agents and other small shops.

Is Madam Tassauds museum in the outskirts of the city and would it not be covered by any travel card?>>>>
No it's in Baker St - ie Zone one (and it's rubbish - but it's your money)
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Get an Oyster Card as it will automatically figure out your cheapest travel with no planning. Yes Tussauds is well within the zone 1-2 TravelCard or better perhaps just buy the TravelCard for each day - Oyster Card means refunding the deposit and apparently the balance is only refunded by check so a hassle for a short stay.

TravelCards also give 2 for 1 admission at many sights - TravelCards loaded on Oyster Cards do to if you have proof you have a TravelCard.

It's all perplexing but so simple. Just search here for Oyster Cards as there has been many many posts describing these wonderful inventions.

If you are the type who may be returning to London then do the Oyster Card and take it home - supposedly it's valid forever or at least until a newer scheme takes its place down the line.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Madame Tussauds ("Two-sods" in English parlance) is Kitsch but that's what makes it a must sight for me - even though is very dear.

The history of the Madame and all those celebs and scoundrels in wax.

One of my favorite places even though i agree with audere about it being 'rubbish'. Got to see it once to realize that.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Pals,

Thanks very much for this.

Oh!!! i thought madam tussauds would be a worthy attraction reading from the media. Well..may be i have saved some money.

What would u recommend for a 2 day or 1day sightseeing in london, the unmissable and value for money and time well spend ones? (my personal preferences need not be considered for the time-being). This is to sort out a temporary itinerary.

thanks
GP

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Tower of London
The Eye
St Pauls
Just to start
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Things I think you must do in only two days:

The British Museum (The World's greatest treasure house - we're a larcenous bunch of bugger us brits)

Tower of London (living history and the Crown Jewels)

Westmeinster abbey and/or St Pauls. The Abbey is my personal preference - it's much older.

National Gallery

Walk down Whitehall at night

Then go to a pub.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:11 AM

While you can buy paper one-, three-, or seven-day travelcards, I believe the seven-day card is the only one that can be loaded on an Oyster card.

To better advise you on what not to miss in two days, we need to know more about your interests. Art museums, history museums, cathedrals or other famous buildings, theatre, etc.?
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Any Travelcard - whether it comes on a card or as an Oystercard - allows you to use the offers on www.2for1entry.co.uk so whilst a PAYG Oystercard is cheaper for transport it could increse the overall cost of your trip.

Most people will only need to get a card for Zones 1 & 2 - these cost £5.10 per day and can be used all day Saturday, Sunday & public holidays and after 9:30am on weekdays.

You can BTW get a bus only pass whichis substantially cheaper than the travelcard allows you to go anywhere by bus in London but it means you can't use the 2-4-1 offers

As for travelling to/from Stansted the cheapest is Easybus, followed by Terravision or National Express coach.

Don't use the Stansted Express unless you have a lot of money to throw away

The travel options except for Easybus are covered on the Stansted Airport website but which is best for you depends on where in London you are staying
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:41 AM

The bus to Stansted seems to take forever, though. Take one earlier than you would expect that you would have to do so.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:50 AM

PalenQ - Oyster card refunds can be given in cash.

Gavinp - agree with the highlights others have suggested. I'd recommend a theater night too if that interests you and it's in the budget.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Since "Cheaply" is the operative word in your thread title, allow me to add:

If you plan to return to London and stay more than four days, then buy a 7-day, 2-zone Travelcard loaded on Oyster, and have it dated to start when you return. The deposit is waived. For your 2-day stay, load £9.20 cash on it for PAYG fares.

A one-day Bus Pass costs &pound;3.50 and covers <i>Greater</i> London, with no peak period restrictions. If you're flying into Heathrow, it will even get you to the city from there. On an Oyster Card, your daily bus expenditure is capped at &pound;3.

From London to Stansted can be accomplished most economically on www.easybus.co.uk - for as little as &pound;2 if you book online.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:33 AM

&lt;&lt;&lt; The bus to Stansted seems to take forever, though &gt;&gt;&gt;

If you are staying in typical tourist areas (Paddington, Victoria, Earls Court) it's about 10 minutes longer

It seems longer because you don't have the change in transport part way through

Lot though depends on where you are staying
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi Folks

Thats great!!!And Many thanks for the suggestions...

Which would you all recommended as a good and not so expensive B&amp;B or Hotel
Budgeted range per night for double room is &pound;50 - 80.

Cheers
GP
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 03:14 AM

When are you going - it makes a big difference
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 04:13 AM

If you don't want to try Priceline, the Ibis City is GBP 69 per night. It is new and well located for the tube and Tower of London.