Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travellers, how much vacation time do you recieve per year?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:44 AM
Mark

Europeans get alot more vacation per year on average than Americans. Americans are running the rat-race and what for? Don't answer this question if you don't have a full-time job.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:50 AM
Marc David Miller

22 Days

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:23 AM
JOdy

I was getting 3 weeks, and could purchase another week, 5 personal days. 5 continuing education days, plus 6 hoildays. But it's better being retired!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:26 AM
ilisa

I receive 3 weeks, plus federal holidays and 2 floating holidays. However, I have had to use a good portion of my leave for religious holidays and child-related activities. Now that I am quitting to be a stay at home mom, I will not have to worry about taking leave. The money, however, that's another story.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:39 AM
govt worker

Thank you to all taxpayers I recive for fifteen years of government service 5.2 weeks vacation and unlimited compansation time and time off awards just wish I the pay could help me take advantage of the time . Government cheese

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:39 AM
Sjoerd

51 days + 8 national holidays.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:50 AM
ohoh

Same company for over 20 years. 5 weeks of PDO (Personal Days Off) per year for any purpose (sick and/or vacation). Plus 10 holidays (7 company wide "national holidays" 3 employee selected) per year. Average leave here is about 3.5 weeks PDO (n-hours per pay period, with the rate increasing after 5, 10, 20 and 30 years of service) There are limits on the amount of PDO you can carry over year to year so that you are encouraged to TAKE TIME OFF because you need it. It is a use it or lose it benefit. Some people think they are such important "rats" that they put themselves in that little wheel by not taking off when they really should. That has a lot more to do with the "rat race" syndrom that many of us will admit.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:58 AM
Kelly

In Canada we got 2 weeks paid vacation if you worked at a company for less than 2 years, and 3 weeks paid vacation thereafter. <BR> <BR>In the UK, the minimum is 4 weeks and companies often give more than that. I personally receive 4 weeks, plus an option to buy another week from a flexible benefits package. <BR> <BR>In all, I think the Europeans get a better deal!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:11 AM
kate

4 weeks + national holidays which is pretty standard in London, although most of my friends in other parts of the UK get 5 weeks. <BR> <BR>I want Sjoerd's job!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:19 AM
Sue

I get 5 weeks off after 15 years of service. That is the top amount given and I wish it were more!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:26 AM
Book Chick

I get three weeks, with the option to purchase an additional week. Our fiscal year begins on Feb 1st & vacation cannot carry over. I accrue 9 personal paid days per year, but those DO carry over & can be added on to vacation days to extend any vacation taken. I think we have about 5 paid national holidays & those are "fixed", no negotiating there. <BR>BC

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:42 AM
Paul

4 weeks of vacation (option to purchase one more week), 13 holidays (divided between fixed & floating holidays), 5 sick/personal days.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:44 AM
proud

Been here 22 years and get 25 days vacation, one paid floating day, stat. holidays and 10 paid sick days.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:47 AM
BRAGA

22 payed days. (portugal)

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:53 AM
Carmen

30 days in the summer + 10 days in Christmas + 4 days in Easter + 8 national holidays (since the very first day I started working)

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:57 AM
Paul

When I started with the company 15 years ago, I recieved 10 vacation days and 5 personal days of vacation with the option of carrying over upto 10 days of vacation time per year. Now I have 20 dyas of vacation plus the 5 personal days.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:00 AM
clairobscur

5 weeks (which are the legal norm in France) + holydays which probably account for 5-6 days/year on average (taking into account the fact that some of them happen on a saturday or sunday and therefore are "lost", depending of the year) + 6 personnal days (these aren't the norm) for a total of roughly 35 days. <BR> <BR> There are also 4 sick days and I can "purchase" up to 12 other days (this number should soon be reduced). <BR> <BR>Also (it seems to me it's important too), I work 7,5 hours/day (or 37,5 hours/week)

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:02 AM
Kavey

24 days plus 1 company assigned (which is nearly always christmas eve) plus national holidays (8 in uk) <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Kate, you might want Sjoerd's leave but would you be willing to pay the higher taxes etc that go with it?

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:05 AM
Cindy

Please post what country you're from when you answer this question! <BR>I'm from the US and get only 2 weeks (3 next year), plus 2 personal days, 1 floating holiday and 5 other holidays, one week between Christmas and New Years, and 3 weeks sicktime (which can only be used for real illness and is not accrued).

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:44 AM
anon

10 days vacation for first 2 years, 15 days staring at 3 years, 3 personal days, all US holidays, and 10 sick days. <BR> <BR>Kavey - One needs to also consider cost of living - rent, food, utilities, basics, etc also. Taxes are only bad if spent wastefully - like the military spending $130 for a single toilet seat or the billions on misslle defense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -