Reload this Page >

Traveller looking for books set in Prague, Vienna or Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Maria

Dear Fodorites,<BR><BR>My mother (a non-traveller in the cyber-space world) is planning a trip to Prague, Vienna and Budapest and mentioned an interest in doing some reading (probably most interested in fiction but non-fiction recommendations are also welcome) of books set in these cities. So I offered to post her request on this site and see what other readers have enjoyed. She mentioned specifically maybe a crime/detective novel, but please pass on any of your favorite titles.<BR><BR>Thanks so much!<BR><BR>Maria

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:23 PM
ajs

I recently bought "Prague, My Love" for my wife at the suggestion of someone here. We will be in Prague in 10 days, can't wait. The description from Amazon:<BR><BR>Book Description<BR><BR>Prague, My Love, is a new genre of travel book in novel form, that takes the reader through a thousand years of Prague's history, including 40 years of Communism. Alice, a young Englishwoman, gets a whirlwind tour of the city by Blazej, a Czech intellectual moonlighting as a guide. Both meet up with the unexpected

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:33 PM
aaa

"The Third Man" takes place in post war Vienna.<BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Sue

For an intriguing period mystery set in turn of century Vienna, read "Henry James' Midnight Song" (by Carol De Chellis Hill), whose main characters include Freud, Jung, Wharton, and of course, James himself! It is captivating.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Annette

Well, I've got just one:<BR>A Nervous Splendor: Vienna 1888/1889 by Frederic Morton is a good novel she might like. It is fiction with real historical characters fitting in, (somewhat like the novel Ragtime employed). Morton has more recently written another one about Vienna, but I don't know the title.<BR><BR>I understand that you are looking for answers here, but just a suggestion--A good way to find reading material for specific European city destinations is to look in the city guide TimeOut book series. Toward the end of each book, there is a decent fiction book list, which includes descriptions of the books. TimeOut, I believe, has guides to each of those three cities. The Knopf and Michelin Green Guides also have reading lists for city and country destinations in their guidebooks.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Byrd

I haven't read this yet, but saw this book recommended last week as good summer reading on one of the TV morning shows: PRAGUE, by Arthur Phillips. If I remember correctly it's set in Budapest, about a group of expats who want to get to Prague. It is alleged to be somewhat humorous.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:57 PM
Maria

Anyone else have any suggestions before I get this list to my mom?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Maria

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:03 PM
jorge

Anything by Franz Kafka...the Metamorphosis is realy good... he wasa born in Prague

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:32 PM
Jan

"The Bridge over Andau" by james Michner is a book written shortly after the revolution in Hungary. Very graphic scenes of what took place in the Castle district and other areas of Budapest. Plus, it gives you a huge appreciation for the bravery of the Hungarians!<BR>Not a feel good book, however.<BR>Jan

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:41 PM
mark

Check Amazon to read excerpts from "Prague, My Love" before you get it - I found the writing to be a bit underwhelming - and the price, $25, overwhelming. I found the writing style a bit too simplistic and formulaic.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Patsy

All books by Edward Crankshaw, Frederic<BR>Morton and Paul Hofmann, particularly <BR>"The Spell of the Vienna Woods", I highly recommend.

Old Dec 1st, 2011, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The scent of burnt flesh canvassed the quaint Czech
neighborhood of Nusle Valley, lying low in the
shadow of the Nusle Bridge. It was another reminder
of this neighborhood's unwanted infamy." - THE GOD COMPLEX by Chris Titus

How's that for an opening line? By chance, I met the author last summer at a book fair. Little did I know that his book, which I bought due to pressure from my girlfriend, would have been the most amazing travel novel for our trip to Prague a month later ... it was fate. Not only was it a gripping mystery set in Prague, but the guy even created a self-guided tour of the city based upon the book! It really made our trip. You can download the tour guide for free on his site - http://godcomplexnovel.com. We highly recommend it.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 06:29 AM

For Prague, I recommend The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. The movie with Daniel Day-Lewis is also worth watching.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 09:22 AM

For Vienna, Graham Green's The Third Man.

Pjk
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:25 PM

I just finished a book called Vienna Waltz by Tracy Grant and it was quite enjoyable. It's a murder mystery set in Vienna during the Congress in 1814. Lots of famous characters play a role. I think your mother would find it perfect before a trip.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 02:25 PM

For Prague, I read the following leading up to our trip:

1. Time's Magpie by Myla Goldberg
- Series of short stories based on her experiences in Prague
2. Farewell to Prague by Miriam Darvas
- A memoir of a woman who escaped Prague during WWII ahead of the Nazis
3. The Mercy Seller by Brenda Rickman Vantrease
- 15th century Prague, centers around the followers of Jan Hus.
4. The Fifth Servant by Kenneth Wishnia
- In 16th century Prague, a gentile child is murdered and the Jews are blamed. It is the story of what happens in the aftermath, and includes many historical figures and the Gollem legend.
5. The View from Stalin's Head by Aaron Hamburger
- A series of short stories, sometimes a little dark, some gay and lesbian themes (which I mention since this is a list for mom and some people's moms may be more traditional - my mom thought the book was great).
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 02:35 PM

<< since this is a list for mom >>

It was a list for mom in 2002. Now it's a list for everyone.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 02:02 AM

"A Nervous Splendor" (my all-time favorite)
"Thunder At Twilight"

both by Frederic Morton (born in Vienna)