Traveling without a car in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning to go to Italy for the first time in mid-April...Want to visit Rome, Florence and Venice - and travel between cities by train.

Would it be best to find hotels/apartments near the train stations?

Also - while visiting the cities, should we travel by foot, bus, taxi? Also, just so you know - we are very money conscious, unfortunately.

Anyone had any tips, thoughts, stories? Thanks so much!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:05 PM

Wendy!
Do it by train for the art cities
Do not stay near the station
Most is walkable--location is key
For hotels, see www.venere.com
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:23 PM
rex

I think that there are a few hotels within a mile of the train station in Florence which could be classified as "okay". Ptherwise I agree with bob. Travel within Florence and Venice by foot. Use taxis or the metro in Rome. Others also report satisfactory (or better?) experience with the bus lines in Rome.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:30 PM

Wendy, we just did Florence and Venice and traveled by train between the two. We stayed in an apartment in Florence that was between San Lorenzo and the Duomo. It was about a 10 minute, direct and easy walk to the train station, yet we were in a great location away from it.

In Venice, we had no problem getting our luggage from the station to the apartment in San Polo via the vaporetto. We then took a water taxi from the apartment to the airport for departure.

It's very easy to get around those cities with no car...the key is to pack light.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 01:17 PM

Have you done any research yet?
I haven't been to Rome but Venice you walk or boat. The boat gets you around quickly, you can get the 24 hr pass and hop on and off as you need to. FLorence walk, bus or taxi I suppose. We walked all over Florence easily.
Do not stay by the train stations. YOu can find affordable lodgning if you research and try Rick Steves or Lonely PLanet guides. FLorence Hotel Dali sounds nice for a double with private bath for under 80 euro. If you dont' mind sharing a bath you can get a cheaper room in any city. YOu can also by your tix as you go, point to point is easy and cheap. Search on this board for great reports and info.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 01:24 PM
ira

H WW,

There is no need to look for hotels near the train stations in any of these cities.

Rome has a decent Metro system: http://www.metropla.net/eu/rom/roma.htm

The historic district of Florence is not large: http://www.ataf.net/Default_EN.asp

Venice is a small town: http://www.actv.it/eng/home.php

Florence and Venice can be done by foot with the occasional bus or vaporetto.

Rome is a big city.

In Florence you might wish to consider B&B Peterson
http://www.bedinflorence.it/
where we will be staying next week.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 01:27 PM
ira

PS
I think you will find this linfk helpful.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34443340
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:25 PM
MD

We did the train thing for Rome, Naples, Venice, Florence (in that order). Then we rented a car from Florence airport to get out into the Tuscan countryside; we drove up past Carrara after that and on to Milan, where we flew out.

In the big cities you DON'T WANT a car. The train is fine; if you are planning an overnight trip (i.e. our Naples-to-Venice) make reservations, even for seats! Even with Kilometric passes, allow half an hour to 45 minutes in line, and get your pass/ticket the day before if you can. We were rushing to get on the Venice train, didn't get time for dinner, got stuck on a train with NO seating. Some kind gentleman offered a pair of seats in one cabin but it was smoking. Next time, I'll go for the private 1st class cabin...

Trains are interesting. Try to figure out what your train is called. The one Naples to Venice only stopped at Mestre on the way to Trieste - so we wanted the "Trieste" train. Ditto for Venice-Florence, a "Roma" train. They are like the American airlines, they seldom run on time.

Agree with the previous posters. If you get a hotel in a good spot, the public transit can get you there.

Rome - we were at Porta Maggiore, sort of out of the way - but it was a 5-minute walk to the Metro, and also a short direct tram ride to the train station. Get a map of the city, it should show the metro stops and hoefully the tram routes. I think we paid about $15 each for a 5-day tram-bus-subway pass.

Florence - we stayed at a hotel (Ferdinado II) on via Corso, a little less than twice as far as the Duomo from the train station. With rolling luggage, we did just fine - about 10 or 15 minutes. We walked everywhere in town, even to the Pitti Palace and Bobboli. That's the fun of Florence!

Venice - yes, the Vaporetto goes anywhere, and it's right outside the station. I think a pass cost us $35 (was that for 2? or each? I don't recall) and was for unlimited vaporetto use for 3 days. We stayed near St. Mark's Square (Hotel Riva) and the roll from the vaporeeto stop was not difficult.

Naples - taxis were CHEAP! From the Capri ferry docks to our hotel (Holiday Inn) on the other side of the Central Train station was $5. It was a confusing place to get around, so we took a cab a few times; otherwise, we walked - to the museum, the train station, the funicular... We took the train to Pompeii.

In Milan, we did stay in a Hotel near the train station, so we could return the car there. This seemed a nicer area than the Rome train station, but it wasn't as far downtown. They had planes landing across the street (bad joke). The subway and trams made it easy to get around, but some Albainian-looking fellow tried to pick my pocket on the subway. Watch out for the old squeeze-play trick.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 10:43 AM

We were in Florence and Rome last year. Travel by train between the cities was fine. We stayed at the Hotel Pendini in Florence, about a ten minute walk from the train station on the Piazza Repulica. Great location, very nice. The Hotel Oceania (sp?) in Rome also worked out well. Florence was very walkable. Rome was fine by foot, bus, taxi and metro. Good luck.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 11:21 AM
ira

Hi WW,

We stayed at the B&B Peterson in Florence. I can recommend it highly.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 12:07 PM

I think it is quite common for people to think about arriving in a city and wanting to stay close to the station to avoid a taxi with their luggage to a hotel somewhere else. But if you're going to be in the city for several days, it just doesn't make sense to worry about that location if it means more traveling every day you're there. I agree, don't worry about the location being close to the train station in any of those cities.
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 01:08 PM

Statia- Where did you stay in Florence?
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Something I don't think anybody has mentioned - the area near the train station is usually very crowded and noisy - and - I don't want to say unsafe - but generally one of the less pleasant areas of almost anu city. Taking trransport - even a taxi if needbe to a hotel 10 or 15 minutes away won;t break the bank - and the things you want to see aren't near the train station anyway.