Traveling with Elderly parents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wonderful mom will turn 90 in November. She has done a lot of traveling when she was younger but has never been to Italy. Her mobility is limited as she uses a walker. When we all when to Israel 7 years ago, we had a wheelchair for her when the distances were far.

I would like to find a trip to Italy in the summer or Fall that would be accessible to her. At this point, getting on and off buses would be difficult. We have thought of a meditarrean cruise but my concern is that it would be such a short time in each city. I am open to a private tour or one that uses minibuses. We may also want to hire an aide to come in in the morning to shower her and dress her.

Can you direct me in the right direction?

Thanks so much.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:48 AM

Hi Emogil - Which places did you want to visit?

Steve
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:25 AM

If you are in a market for a private or small tour, then perhaps there is where you might want to start (small and/or private tour agencies) as your needs are quite specialized, especially the personal aide part. Best of luck.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:37 AM

emogil,

I suggest you think about fall rather than summer....it can be so hot in Italy in the summer months and that might be really hard on her. It sounds like a lovely trip.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:23 AM

Hi emogil,

If your wonderful mom is at the stage where she likes to have help showering and dressing, I think you'll need more than the average tour. I've been at that stage with both of my parents, and everyday activities are quite challenging. She'll need a lot more time doing almost everything that a tour requires: meeting in the morning, gathering at the bus, getting through the sight, completing a meal, etc.

If I were you, I would start with a phone call to agencies like AAA or AARP.

Or, perhaps the best thing you could do is rent an apartment in a central -ish spot and make it as much like home as possible. Then you could make excursions during the day according to her health and abilities that day. Maybe make use of a group like Untours (www.untours.com) to help you arrange for her special needs. Sometimes with Untours you can rent one week in one spot and another week in another spot, so you could "cover" two spots in Italy.

With your mom's special needs, I think a little travel will go a long way. I don't think you'll need to cover the length and breadth of the country but rather help her see the best little jewelled spots that she can savor.

Good luck!

s
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:02 AM
ira

Hi em,

I think mid-Sept to mid-Oct would be the best time for a visit.

How many days?

We took my mother to Paris for a week. That was about the right amount of time.
She wasn't worn out, but she was getting tired.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM

I think this is wonderful that you want to do this with your mom. I work with the elderly every day, so this is something I might be able to help you with. I like the idea of an aide, as this will help you out and allow her some modesty. I also like the idea of a cruise and using a wheel chair. One fall, and her world would change dramatically. I would just urge you to use caution, and make sure someone is with her at all times. Plan on her having plenty of down time. More importantly, it is her time spent with you, that will be enjoyed most.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:12 PM

I think the Untours is a good suggestion - call them - I bet they will be helpful. I think the cruise might be more difficult than you expect - in Italy several of the main cities (Florence, Rome) are quite a ways from the cruise ship ports. Venice would be difficult in a wheelchair - I would have a talk with a cruise ship rep before booking anything - I doubt their excursions would be very easy for your mother. It would be a shame to go to Europe and spend all the time on the ship. I hope you can work soemthing out tho - I can only hope I will have someone helping me go to Italy when I am 90!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Maybe just renting a car yourselves and staying at hotels would be easiest. Then you are on no one else's schedule but your own. Handicapped permits are recognized world wide. We went to France with one when my husband had a broken foot and we were able to park very close to things.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:33 PM

We're in a similar situation with my father, and we've found it difficult even in the US to find aides for just one or two visits a day for a short time.

Personally, I think a cruise or an apartment would be the easiest. I assume that one can pay the cruise medical staff for periodic assistance, or find someone in a single city to help.

Both options also allow for some downtime if mom wants to take a break and you want to do something.

However, if you can afford it, you could do your own tour and hire an aide/driver to travel with you.

Susan
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:33 PM

I am confident you can find someone to help you through the english speaking community in these large cities.

there is usually an international women´s club, an american consulate or embassy who can facilitate names of associations/persons you can contact, and ask for help.

Your hotel should also be able to find a trustworthy person ahead of time. They will know where to call. A bed and breakfast owner in the countryside might also know a local person who could come.

I know this would be the case in spain.. we are called, and try to solve these type problems for people , whether they are travelling or not.

i wouldn´t doubt a local fodorite can help out.
just wait and see!

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM

When you are planning your trip, please be sure to check about health insurance coverage while out of the country. Medicare covers nothing outside the US, and some other insurers limit coverage as well. In addition, you may want to consider a travel policy that covers medical evacuation. Don't want to sound pessimistic, but learned the hard way about this.