Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling to Prague

Any tips on what to do and not to do in Prague
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I loved the museum of meideval torture and of course the museum of sex machines. I went to Prague castle it's not a real castle in the classic fairytale sense but the cathedral is pretty cool and you can climb to the top and the view is so awesome.

Just walk around and get lost in the old part of the city.

Get a bus pass it's easier than fumbling around for change every time you want to ride the bus or the metro. Learn to use the trams and not just rely on the metro.

Bring a good jacket! I was there last week and it was sooooo cold.

If you go to the bank near the town square for a cash advance bring your passport.

If you're flying into Prague take the bus to the subway station and ride the subway/metro into the city.

If you have time go to Kutna Hora it's an hour away by train from Prague and see the Ossury. It's the 2nd bus stop from the train station. that's the bone church a chandelier made out of human bones. If that's not cool I don't know what is. Also being in kutna hora gives you a different view of life in Czech but dont expect as many people to speak english.

Take lots of pictures of the old well preserved buildings.

Dont try to do too much just relax and enjoy.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Check weather forecast before leaving - many parts of Europe have wamred up considerably in the last week
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:21 AM

lol just my luck. I froze my butt off last week so it would warm up right after I've left. But yeah weather.com is your friend.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 09:35 PM

Go to The Church of Our Lady of the Victory and see The Holy Infant Jesus Of Prague.

Prague has the most beautiful churches. But after 40 years of communist rule there are very few Catholics. Most of the churches look like they are not even used! In fact, Prague is called "The City of 100 Spires", although there are probably more than 100.

Also, there are tons of concerts every night in Prague. Just pick up a few flyers (I got mine in my hotel lobby) and decide what type of music you would like to hear. I went to hear Dvorak's "New World Symphony" and a Smetana piece in the Smetana Hall in the Municipal Center. What an experience! The tickets run about 20 US.

Another great thing to do is to go to a Blacklight Pantomime Theater. Pantomime Theater is really big in Prague. But don't sit in the front row unless you want to be a participant.

Old Town Square & Hradcany Castle are not to be missed, the goldsmiths' street, Karlov Most and all the vendors there. There is a restaurant across the street from the astrological clock that has seating on the roof (I was there is March and they have outdoor heaters ). You can have a drink and get a great view of the square from there.

Finally be sure to buy some garnets. Prague is famous for its garnets. I bought a beautiful set, ring, earrings, bracelet, necklace. The garnets had to be at least a carat each in the necklace, earrings & ring and all in 18 kt gold. I believe I paid about $1200 US.

I also bought a Russian military style fur cap. Last time I flew to Europe the ticket agent at the Swiss Air counter REALLY wanted that hat. I also met a Ukranian woman at the Lucern Transport Museum. She spoke to me b/c she saw the hat & thought I was Russian!!

Beware of the pickpockets (especially on Karlov Most) and watch out for a scam..a young woman will approach you and say that she has been robbed and needs money. We just walked away from her. But if you want to have some fun you can offer to take her to the police!

Also, get your money from an ATM. If that is not possible you are better off changing your money at your hotel. What ever you do DO NOT go to an exchange. You will be ripped off. My boyfriend and another couple on our trip used one of these and were ripped off big time. The exchange you are quoted is not the one you will get. The wife from the couple was so mad she stood in front of the exchange and stopped people from changing their money there!

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM

Don't let the pickpockets get you - and they're good, so you have to be better.

And don't trust taxi drivers unless a hotel or reputable restaurant has called a radio taxi for you.

And be prepared for a bit of human jetsam and flotsam at the train stations - you may get some encounters of the dubious kind. Again - be theft-proof and con-proof and generally savvy.

Other than that, there's a lot to be enjoyed, including the subway trains outside of rush-hour, it's quite a spiffy system with the metallic glitter on the walls.

Go see a ballet or an orchestra concert or an opera - language difficulties don't matter and classical music is one of the mainstays of the city - it used to be one of the cultural capitals of Europe at one time.

WK
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:24 AM

>>>>
And don't trust taxi drivers unless a hotel or reputable restaurant has called a radio taxi for you.
>>>>

use AAA taxi...i have worked in prague for several months and have always used their cars. the one time i didn't, i had to deal with a "fixed priced" scammer. you can usually find AAA cars around town or they can be called. AAA always use the meter and are friendly and professional...much better than taxis in most european cities.

however, there is only one company that can pick up from the airport...i believe they are called "airport cars" or something like that. they are also honest in my experience. AAA will, however, bring you TO the airport.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:35 AM
ira

Hi D,

Don't miss the Pinkas Synagogue and the Old Cemetery. A very moving experience.

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Walkinaround, do you have the phone number for AAA taxi? We'll be arriving at the bus station (from Cesky Krumlov) and will have to take a cab to our apartment. Thanks and aloha.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM

AAA taxi phone number is 222 333 222

they have a slick computerised phone booking system that will tell you exactly how long the taxi will take to get to you. as i said, i think this is one of the best taxi services anywhere...strange that it is in one of the cities known for dodgy taxis.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the fast reply, Walkinaround. Since you've worked in Prague for months, do you have any restaurant recommendations -- I'm esp. interested in the Mala Strana area since that's where our apt. is. Thanks in advance, and aloha.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:34 PM

i'm sorry but i really don't. my favourite restaurant was a small, simple place near my flat in the Karlin neighbourhood. they had excellent steaks and it was very cheap. i can't remember the name but it was just an everyday place and Karlin, while very close to the city centre, is not really on the tourist path.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:45 PM

If you like Czech/Bohemian glass you'll be in heaven.

Consider the possibility of getting the Prague Card which includes admission to many main sights and public transportation.

Definitely go see the Atrological Clock. Yes, it will be mobbed with tourists every hour but there's a good reason they all go there to watch it.

Outwit the pickpockets by either using a oney belt or other suitable strategy. As someone above said, they are really, REALLY good and by the time you miss it they'll be long gone.

If you're into all things Roman Catholic, besides the Infant of Prague there is also the Loreto. The treasury is filled with gem-encrusted monstrances and other religious pieces that are amazing in their own way.

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:47 PM

cheribob,
Do you remember the name of the place where you bought your garnet jewelry? That is my birthstone & I don't have any, so good excuse to buy something! I think jewelry is getting to be my favorite travel souvenier! So easy to transport home!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:33 PM

I've exchanged money in Prague, although I used ATMs, also, and it isn't true that you will be ripped off by all exchanges. You just have to know rates and make appropriate decisions. Travelex is a big concern in CR and gives pretty good rates (used to be Cooks), and the Amex office also gives good rates. If you go to a no-name place and don't know the rates, you may be ripped off, I guess.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:28 PM

I have the name of the jewelery store at home. It was just off Wenceslas Square. I will look it up and post tomorrow. If you pay cash in US dollars you will get quite a discount. I paid with a mixture of Czech krone, US dollars and a Visa. (they don't take Mastercard.)
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 02:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
We loved the restaurant in the basement of the Municipal Hall - wonderful food and ambience. also their tea room upstairs looks great. Also the restaurant next to the opera house was terrific and reasonable, and a great change from the normal potato and bread dumplings, which are OK but not to be repeated too often. Otherwise just try to avoid the overtly touristy places around the main square.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:30 AM

Check out <The Pancaky Papers: Thingorjus in Praha> by doing a search on this forum. This trip report gives lots of information on Prague, including restaurant reviews.

Handmaiden of Th--
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Marsh,

The name of the jewelery store was "Almandin Zlatnictvi" address: Vodickova 35. I have two phone numbers for them: 420 2 2494 8658 and 02/26 35 17. I am not sure which is the right one.....

Vodickova intersects Wenceslaus Square. If you are walking up the square toward the statue of King Wenceslaus it will be down Vodickova on the right. You have to walk down Vodickova a few doors.

Looking again at my receipts I realize I paid closer to $1500 US. There were 4 big garnets in the necklace surrounded by little garnets and small garnets between each big garnet. There were 12 smaller garnets in the bracelet. Each garnet surrounded by little garnets. The earrings and ring had the same motif. Just one garnet in each earring and the ring but each surrounded by little garnets.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM

We had one of our best meals at a local restaurant called U Sadlu. address is Klimentska 2, Praha 1, tel 420 224 813 874
I read about it from someone's post. It is a little north of the old town and it's a street or two off the beaten path. There was no English menu so the waiter helped us order and we had the mixed grill for 2. It was a platter beautifully presented with duck, ham, pork, chicken cutlets, potato dumplings, bread dumplings, roasted potatoes, sauerkraut, cabbage, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, green peas, peppers. It was delicious and all for less than $50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -