Traveling to Positano & Paris with Kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2024, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling for the first time in Europe with our 1 and 2 year olds. Have a couple of questions about airport travel.

1. We are flying into Rome and have a 1.5 hour layover until Naples. I've heard as long as the flight is under a single ticket you will not be going through customs until you reach your end destination. Is 1.5 hours enough to get through security and grab our check in luggage as well?

2. I wanted to try to take it as easy as possible because we will be going there for a relative's wedding. So far this is what we have planned:
a. First day, Spiaggia Grande Beach, late lunch/dinner
b. Sunset cruise around the coast for 4.5 hours, dinner
c. Church of Santa Maria Assunta, lunch, rehearsal dinner
d. Wedding
e. Wine tasting for an hour

Are there any other activities you'd recommend with younger children? Was considering Pompeii tour but it's an hour travel to that destination and most tours are 6+ hours

We'll also be travelling to Paris the second week and I was wondering how the airport travel is between countries. Same situation going through customs?

Also what are necessities for travel? We have a travel stroller, ergo carrier, travel car seat along with some toys.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
How are you getting to Positano from Naples? And why are you flying from Rome to Naples?

When is this wedding? Depending on the time of year, I probably have some suggestions for you, as we took our son to Italy first time when he was 13 months.

Positano with a stroller is going to be a headache in itself . . . Pompeii would take your day to whole new set of pain.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 12:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Won't you need two of everything kid-related? strollerS, car seatS...

I agree with Surfergirl that Pompeii would be one difficult, exhausting day, and if the trip is in high season summer you can't even imagine how difficult and exhausting. The kids would get absolutely nothing out of it.

I think your questions about the layover in Rome should be focused more on what happens if the first flight is so late arriving that you miss the connection. Yes, on a single ticket you're "covered" financially, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't have to spend several hours at FCO waiting for the next flight to Naples with available seats. Two adults, no problem. Two adults plus two toddlers, yikes.

If you hired an airport transfer, you could be at Roma Termini (train station) in less than an hour, the train to Naples takes just over an hour (multiple departures every hour), and then the taxi or booked car/driver to your Positano lodging would take another one+ hour. If you could swing it ($$), you could hire a driver to take you from FCO to your Positano hotel.

Will your kids be vertical for all those evening events??

"We'll also be travelling to Paris the second week and I was wondering how the airport travel is between countries."

If you choose a low-cost carrier for the flight to Paris, make sure you understand the luggage fees and what, if anything, you'll be charged for the strollers and car seats. There is no "customs" issue when traveling from Italy to France.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 12:43 PM

Are you traveling to Italy from the U.S.? If so, even if it's all booked on one ticket, you WILL need to go through border control when you land in Rome, since you're entering the Schengen zone. You will NOT have to go through security or get your checked bags - those will be checked through to your final destination.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 12:44 PM

You will go through passport control in Rome as that is your point of entry to Schengen. Customs is a non event - you just walk through the green channel, assuming of course your bags are checked through.
The flight to Paris is like a US domestic flight since it is within the Schengen zone.

The connection time feels tight to me especially with two young kids and their gear to wrangle. Have you considered taking the train instead?
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 12:58 PM

Big questions:
When is the wedding?
Where is the wedding?
Do you already have tickets into Rome and out of Paris?
Do you have lodging booked already? Where? Are you staying in Naples or going on to Positano on arrival day?
Have you been to Italy or France before without children?

You will get good advice from people here who have lots of experience (with children) and the more you share of your already set in stone plans, the more they can help.

About Pompeii. You do not need a tour. It is about 45 minutes to an hour by train from Naples right to the entrance and you can use a guide book or audio or hire a local guide right at the entrance. You can do an hour or two or whatever you want. However, as someone else said, doing it with two littles will not be pleasant, especially if it is hot. There are a lot of stones and I doubt a stroller would work at all. However, you might be able to do Herculaneum. It is only about 15 minutes from Naples. There is a hill to go down and back up to the train, but it is all paved. It is quite beautiful and you could see at least one amazing archeological site.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 01:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

You are likely mixing up two terms. 'Customs" is looking over your luggage and 'goods'. Your bags will be checked through to Naples and you will go through Customs there. But Customs is essentially a non-event if you have nothing to declare.

Whereas 'Immigration' i.e. Passport control/Border control is checking that you are eligible to enter the country. That will be done in Rome. 1.5 hours is a little tight with toddlers but not to worry if you are on one booking and miss the connection, they will put you on the available flight.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 01:16 PM

Oops -- meant to add -- not sure I'd be taking any 4.5 hour boat trips with 1 and 2 yos
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
Oops -- meant to add -- not sure I'd be taking any 4.5 hour boat trips with 1 and 2 yos
Agree with this, drinks, diapers, wipes, food, toys, blanket, seats, etc. Perhaps try a short ferry ride for views of the coast.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 05:13 PM

I would not bother bringing car seats - you can hire them if you hire a car. I never used car seats in the plane when our daughter was small, there are quite specific requirements as to which seats are acceptable to the airlines and we did not meet them. Instead we had a bassinette when she was really young, and when she was older (i.e. over 2) she had her own seat. When they are in a bassinette you have to sit them on your lap for takeoffs and landings and they are fixed to your belt by a separate belt loop.

I would also see how much baby gear your accommodation can supply. We always requested a high chair, bed and potty and they were always supplied. The only thing you might want is an umbrella stroller for each child, and I would also consider making sure it has a shade if you are in warm weather. Bonus points for a Baby Björn or similar for the bub.

Click on my name in the sidebar for travel reports relating to travelling with a small child. One is all about the toys to keep toddlers amused on a plane, the other is a report on an airline we flew with our daughter (Korean Air) and how family-friendly they were. They are going back to 2010 / 2011 or thereabouts.

Good luck!

Lavandula
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are there any other activities you'd recommend with younger children? Was considering Pompeii tour but it's an hour travel to that destination and most tours are 6+ hours.

Although you know your kids best, with little toddlers (babies, really), I'd say no to Pompeii.

If I were you, I'd just keep things really flexible and focus on relaxing and enjoying the surroundings.

Old Apr 17th, 2024, 03:06 AM

Absolutely! Your planned activities sound delightful!

For the little ones, don't miss the Grotta dello Smeraldo (Emerald Grotto) – it's like stepping into a magical sea cave. Plus, it's just a short boat ride from Positano.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
How are you getting to Positano from Naples? And why are you flying from Rome to Naples?

When is this wedding? Depending on the time of year, I probably have some suggestions for you, as we took our son to Italy first time when he was 13 months.

Positano with a stroller is going to be a headache in itself . . . Pompeii would take your day to whole new set of pain.
We're going Mid-May. To get to Positano we booked a flight to Rome with a connecting flight to Naples then taking private transportation from there since we have two little ones and wanted to make the travel as convenient as possible. How was your trip with your 13 month old?
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
Won't you need two of everything kid-related? strollerS, car seatS...

I agree with Surfergirl that Pompeii would be one difficult, exhausting day, and if the trip is in high season summer you can't even imagine how difficult and exhausting. The kids would get absolutely nothing out of it.

I think your questions about the layover in Rome should be focused more on what happens if the first flight is so late arriving that you miss the connection. Yes, on a single ticket you're "covered" financially, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't have to spend several hours at FCO waiting for the next flight to Naples with available seats. Two adults, no problem. Two adults plus two toddlers, yikes.

If you hired an airport transfer, you could be at Roma Termini (train station) in less than an hour, the train to Naples takes just over an hour (multiple departures every hour), and then the taxi or booked car/driver to your Positano lodging would take another one+ hour. If you could swing it ($$), you could hire a driver to take you from FCO to your Positano hotel.

Will your kids be vertical for all those evening events??

"We'll also be travelling to Paris the second week and I was wondering how the airport travel is between countries."

If you choose a low-cost carrier for the flight to Paris, make sure you understand the luggage fees and what, if anything, you'll be charged for the strollers and car seats. There is no "customs" issue when traveling from Italy to France.
Yes we will be getting two of everything but it's two families on this flight so my sister in law will be responsible for her own child's stuff. Sorry for not clarifying that. I really appreciate all your input. My 2 1/2 year old will be vertical for all events. 1 year old not so sure.

I will be sure to double check on Paris regarding luggage. Thank you!
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fleur_de_Lis
Are you traveling to Italy from the U.S.? If so, even if it's all booked on one ticket, you WILL need to go through border control when you land in Rome, since you're entering the Schengen zone. You will NOT have to go through security or get your checked bags - those will be checked through to your final destination.
Thank you so much for this! Yes I'm traveling from US
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavandula
I would not bother bringing car seats - you can hire them if you hire a car. I never used car seats in the plane when our daughter was small, there are quite specific requirements as to which seats are acceptable to the airlines and we did not meet them. Instead we had a bassinette when she was really young, and when she was older (i.e. over 2) she had her own seat. When they are in a bassinette you have to sit them on your lap for takeoffs and landings and they are fixed to your belt by a separate belt loop.

I would also see how much baby gear your accommodation can supply. We always requested a high chair, bed and potty and they were always supplied. The only thing you might want is an umbrella stroller for each child, and I would also consider making sure it has a shade if you are in warm weather. Bonus points for a Baby Björn or similar for the bub.

Click on my name in the sidebar for travel reports relating to travelling with a small child. One is all about the toys to keep toddlers amused on a plane, the other is a report on an airline we flew with our daughter (Korean Air) and how family-friendly they were. They are going back to 2010 / 2011 or thereabouts.

Good luck!

Lavandula
Hello,

We got the WAYB Pico Car Seat and a Bugaboo travel stroller but I will be sure to check if both airlines approve of the sizing. So I will confirm with hotels to provide potty, crib and high chair. Thank you! I'm really trying to not travel with too much.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robertwinston3516
Absolutely! Your planned activities sound delightful!

For the little ones, don't miss the Grotta dello Smeraldo (Emerald Grotto) – it's like stepping into a magical sea cave. Plus, it's just a short boat ride from Positano.
Amazing, I might ask our sunset cruise to stop by there so we can enjoy for a bit! Really, thank for you this! I've heard about the grotto as well.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 03:37 PM

When talking to the hotels -- request a 'cot', not a 'crib'. Cots are not what Americans think of -- like a camping bed. In Europe a cot is a baby bed.