Reload this Page >

Traveling to Istanbul with my daughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 10:13 AM
tenley

Just wondering if I should know anything special about traveling with my 10 year old daughter. Will it be safe for her?? I have been to Istanbul before--I went alone 14 years ago and LOVED it. So now I want to take my daughter to the cradle of history, but wonder if she's going to bored with too much shopping and sightseeing. <BR>I want to take her on the Bosphorus trip and maybe Princes Island for a break from city life. Any other suggestions??<BR>We are going to stay at the Germir Palas in Takism--- it was recommended by the travel agent--anybody ever stayed there?<BR><BR>Thanks!!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 11:16 PM
debby

It will be safe but take care that she is not lost as it is a big city with too many people..tell her stories about historical places like Harem before you visit them.Prince Islands are a good choice she can ride donkey.If she would like to visit a child-place then TATILYA www.tatilya.com.They have also free shuttle from Taksim and near the exit of Spicy Bazaar there are pet shops with cute animals.<BR>Sorry but I have no info about the hotel.Hope you both enjoy your trip

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 04:13 AM
ohmy

you must be nuts to drag a 10 year old girl to a Muslim country...what the hell is the matter with you? What are you thinking of?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 04:33 AM
god

Come on Ohmy!She went there 14 years ago.You can't fear her.Tenley you are not going to believe how much the country has changed.Hope you enjoy the more european image of the city

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:42 AM
xxx

Istanbul is wonderful! Just try to teach her some history about Turkey and its culture before you go (including ancient Greek mythology). Forget Ohmy's comments. Turkey and Turkish people are lovely and welcoming and friendly. Just be careful as you would in any other large city. For culture, colour and proximity to sites, I would prefer to be in a hotel in the Old City than in Taksim, but Taksim is more "westernized" with major chain hotels and more likely to have hotels with pools (might be a good idea for your daughter). I looked on the web and Germir doesn't have a pool... How long are you going to be in Turkey? If long enough, you might consider at trip down to Ephesus - I went there the first time at about about her age, maybe a little younger and I still remember it... Combine it with a trip to Pamakkule... Or Cappadocia is also a wonderful place (looks like Hobbit-land) but maybe far to get to... I so envy you and your daughter your trip. I love Turkey. And the food is so good!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Ben Haines

If you centre the stay upon her, and she makes all possible decisions, both of you may well have a delightful week. Can your public library find you a glossy coffee-table book of coloured plates of beautiful places in Istanbul ? I take it you already have an Istanbul guide book. Then she and you can use the guide book index, and find where in the big book you want to go.<BR><BR>What strike me are<BR>The Byzantine water tank<BR>If she likes eating fish, the street full of fish restaurants somewhere near the Pierre Loti Hotel<BR>The covered bazaar (at her pace, with plenty of fizzy drinks, probably several short visits not one long one)<BR>If that's her sort of thing but not otherwise, the Walls of Justinian<BR>If that's her sort of thing, not otherwise, the mosaics of Kariyeh Djami<BR>As you say, a boat up the Bosporus, with a long lunch. Please avoid the touts who lie to you, and please take the ordinary municipal steamer<BR>Outdoor lunches in places where you walk along among the cooking pots choosing what smells best. Please include a Lady's Thigh<BR>A very short stay in the Topki Saray. Best will be to read the guide book together now, and see whether there's anything there that she will like. I mean, the Sultans did go over the top about plates and dishes, all much the same as each other. Or, perhaps better, no Topkapi Saray. Gasp, horror. But this visit works if it is designed to your daughter?s tastes. <BR>Almost certainly not Aya Sofia. Dark, gloomy, boring.<BR>A ride on the old tram from Taksin Saray to Galata. If she knows who Marlene Dietrich and John Wayne were, but not otherwise, you can then visit the Petra Palace Hotel for tea and a tour of the corridors.<BR>If she's into Victorian Baroque (but not otherwise) the Dolmabace Palace.<BR><BR>Ohmy charms me. What dire nineteenth century tales of the white slave traffic has she been reading lately ? Has she spoken with a Moslem ever in her life ? She would be fascinated if she asked a Moslem women employed professionally in the United States (a doctor or professor, for example) to tell her how she thinks of ten year old girls.<BR><BR>At ten anybody can get lost in a crowded city. You might like to show your daughter what Turkish police officers look like, and ask her to carry the Turkish equivalent of ten dollars and a paper with the hotel's name, address and phone number. Then if she gets detached from you a policewoman will accompany her home with great speed, probably by taxi. You'll feel dreadful: she won't. And think what she'll tell them at school. If she doesn?t invent at least a shoot-out with Bulgarian gypsies in a Turkish bath then she lacks imagination. <BR><BR>I think that when you are ten Ephesus and Cappadocia are chiefly great stretches of broken stone walls in dead cities, hot and bare, which you reach after driving for hours in busses through semi desert. Boring. Even related stories don't help much. But if you tell her a tale from the Thousand and One nights each night at bedtime, now that will be something. You can always mug them up on the plane over.<BR><BR>You might like secretly to hire a videocassette of the James Bond ?From Russia with Love? and look it over in private. It?s quite strong stuff, but if you think it will match your daughter?s tastes then you could view it together, perhaps in three parts. Even nice girls like to fear Rosa Klebs.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome back to Europe.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:24 AM
carol

Treat it as if you were taking her to any other big city... NY, SF, etc. keep her within reach. Turks love children and will probably be very kind to her. I agree with the above posters who suggest getting her interested in the stories about the Ottoman Turks. There is some stuff that would be cool to a 10-year-old, e.g., Princess Roxalana.. have fun!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:55 PM
murat

Tenley, if you prepare her what you will be seeing and visiting together and keep the historical bits limited I am sure you will both enjoy to be a guest in Turkey.<BR>Germir Palas is very central hotel, an old building restored and turned into a hotel. Its nice and charming I could say, try to reserve the room from front wing. <BR><BR>It is safe... Its a good idea that she knows where you stay, having said that I see no reason why she will get lost...<BR><BR>some posters not agree with coming to a muslim country ???? I don't understand. Muslims have children too and yes Turkish people likes kids very much. ( look at the population )<BR><BR>I have e-mailed you my answers...<BR><BR>all the best<BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:37 PM
ridem

Ten years old is a magical age, still child-like but with the earliest development of possible adult interests, later in life.<BR><BR>That you wish to share ( and rediscover) your youthful experiences with your daughter is heartwarming.<BR><BR>Encourage her to keep a diary/journal, and have her own camera.At the worst, it'll make a great school report! (Better than "my holiday in Blackpool" etc..) The posts above, about reading about the Ottoman Era, are on target. She's too young to read Freya Stark...but maybe you can read parts of it to her. <BR><BR>However, no discovery is as worthy as that which a child makes on her own...positive or negative. Sometimes that "negative" gets re-worked by memory over the next decade.<BR><BR>Your giving your daughter a gift of a lifetime.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:34 PM
tenley

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments, especially you Ridem-- I also feel like this is an opportunity of a lifetime-- especailly in these culturally unsettled times. Showing a child the world will only promote tolerance and acceptance of cultural differences!<BR>I can't wait to see how the city has changed and what has stayed the same. I drank a gallon of tea at the Caravan Carpet Shop and ended up buying a rug there... a prized possession... think they give deals for repeat customers?!<BR>Thanks again.<BR>T

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 02:14 AM
suzy

The fish restaurants are in an area called Kumkapi I believe and it is the most wonderful experience, with groups of musicians walking around, and people getting up and dancing on the tables and laughing and having a wonderful time! And although there is some moderate alcohol consumption (there is not too much as it is a Muslim country) - it really is more joie-de-vivre that is being expressed! You must go to Topkapi - as a girl the thrones, jewels, harem rooms, etc. are likely to be enchanting. The Aya Sofia is a bit dark, but very atmospheric, and probably worth at least poking your head into as it is rather nearby to Topkapi (as I seem to remember). By all means spend loads of time in the bazaar, the sights, sounds and smells will impress themselves strongly on your girl. I agree with the previous poster about Ephesus and Cappadocia being too far away and too hot and dusty for a good trip. I would also recommend a hamam experience!! There are women only times at the hamams and it will also be a fantastic experience! I can't remember the name of the one we went to, maybe some of the other posters can help... but I remember loads of different pools with different temps, super high ceilings, tiles, and old and young and big and thin females, and very exotic in a very Turkish way. The massages and tea and checking your shoes into the little cubicles, all of it would be a fantastic time for her, and a cultural experience she would never forget or get at any Western "spa."

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:05 AM
suzy

Sorry the hamam with loads of different pools was in Jerusalem... the one in Istanbul was different with bowls of cool water to pour over your head while you were sitting in the steam room. Sorry, ever since I was in my first Hamam at age 14, I have been intrigued/addicted to them and have gone to a Hamam (or the public bathing equivalent) wherever I could (Turkey, Morocco, Japan, Cambodia, Bali, Israel, France, Switzerland, etc...) It's a wonderful way to experience culture from a different perspective. - and very relaxing; not to mention a great way to get very clean!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:06 AM
suzy

Sorry the hamam with loads of different pools was in Jerusalem... the one in Istanbul was different with bowls of cool water to pour over your head while you were sitting in the steam room. Sorry, ever since I was in my first Hamam at age 14, I have been intrigued/addicted to them and have gone to a Hamam (or the public bathing equivalent) wherever I could (Turkey, Morocco, Japan, Cambodia, Bali, Israel, France, Switzerland, etc...) It's a wonderful way to experience culture from a different perspective - and very relaxing; not to mention a great way to get very clean!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:06 AM
Debbie

Tenley-our family went to Turkey last year.Sorry people-but both of my kids (daughter 15 and son 18)thought that Aye Sophia was interesting (all that history-you don't need to stay long);enjoyed the ferry ride with the locals to the Black Sea and back(do on a Sunday if possible,walk up to the ruins of the old castle - great sights,cheap, and interesting people we met and talked to on board);enjoyed the tour of the Sultan's place and special harem area;LOVED(even the son) the Grand Bazaar-sights,smells and the wonderful sales people and bartering!.We did the tour of the cisterns;had a picnic in the Hippodrome area one afternoon for the local flair and visited the Blue Mosque at night which was special. We flew down to Izmir for 2 days and rented a car to go see Ephesus and the coastline(the seafood meals are great and even walking on the beach of the Aegean Sea is incredible.The whole family enjoyed Ephesus(pay a private guide at the front entrance for a personal tour-about 40usd but well worth it). My husband fell for the offer of the "free ride" from the parking lot to the front entrance if we would go to the rug factory. Actually,it was VERY interesting as the kids saw everything from the silk cocoons to the children making the rugs with the offer of the apple tea. We did not buy anything and the people were very nice about it. We found the Turkish people delightful,caring and most helpful.They are very family oriented,love their children and senior citizens and really want the rest of the world to see their wonderful country. Both of my kids said that they felt it was probably our best family vacation! I think that I would change your hotel location as we have stayed in both areas and the Taksim area is like staying in New York and any USA hotel chain-no local flavor and the hassle of cabbing it everywhere.The old city has inexpensive hotels,restaurants and the sights are all within walking distance.We did take the trolley 2/3 stops for the Grand Bazaar but it was so nice to stroll around and see the real Istanbul and its people.Besides the convenience,seeing the Blue Mosque lit up at night,hearing the calls and seeing the sunlight on the Bosphorus River from the roof of your hotel while eating breakfast was unbelievable!! Have a great time and enjoy these years with your daughter-they go by way too quickly!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:14 AM
xxx

Yes Debbie!!! Couldn't agree with you more... it's all wonderful. Hopefully Tenley will take yours and my and Suzy's comments into account. Old City is just so much more atmospheric and stimulating than Taksim (but some people need or want a more sanitised experience). Glad to hear you and your kids enjoyed Ephesus - I still remember it from when I visited in 1976 and was 10 or 11. But my parents had made me read up on the area and the old mythology and history before going and I'm sure we had a good guide while we were there who brought it all to life.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 08:14 AM
tenley

I had origianlly wanted to stay in Sultanhamet, but the travel agent (who talked with her connection in Istanbul) really warned against it. She said that it wasn't safe at night with lots of prostitution etc.<BR>When I was there last time I stayed at the Yucelt Youth Hostel... had a great experience there and really liked being in the heart of it all, but I guess I feel like I need to be more conseravative with my daughter along.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:20 PM
Kris

Tenley, we were in Istanbul in May 2002 and stayed in the Sultanahmet section of Istanbul. We were out late every night we were there, at least until 10:00 pm and as late as midnight and we never felt unsafe or saw any prostitution (of course, I wasn't looking for it either). I'd also encourage you to stay on the Sultanahmet side, it was much more interesting and a better location for visiting the major sights in Istanbul.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:17 PM
carol

I echo the response of Kris. I stayed in an inexpensive hotel just off the main hostel street in Sultanahmet and saw no prostitutes and we were out until quite late most nights. This was also last May. I did not like Taksim. It is really only good for shopping and clubbing.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:22 PM
Tom Campbell

As always, when traveling abroad in places less frequented by Westerners, it is a good idea to check the US State Department website for any advisories:<BR>http://travel.state.gov/turkey.html<BR><BR>The State Dept has not special advisories on Turkey right now, but the government is in a bit of turmoil, with nearly all the senior posts having been vacated recently. Not much cause for alarm, and certainly nothing new in Europe (All the Dutch parliment resigned at once earlier this year) - but still something to consider.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:04 AM
xxx

And certainly nothing new for Turkey - if you pay any attention to Turkish politics. Which brings up something else... you will end up using some Turkish lira, but given the inflation rate in Turkey, most of the shops will prefer to take hard currency, $, &pound;, ?, (in case it doesn't come out: dollars, pounds, euros...). So bring plenty of TCs and cash... It helps with your bargaining position too! And remember bargain, bargain, bargain. For Westeners, we don't really understand the mentality... but in "bargaining" countries, it is not a real or successful sale if there is no bargaining involved. And that's at the level of a couple of oranges in the market to an expensive rug! But also, don't let your attempts to "get a good deal" get in the way of you purchasing something you really love and cherish forever when you get it back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -