Traveling to/from Romania/Italy by Train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What train company should I buy tickets from for 3 adults traveling from Romania to Italy? We will be traveling this September and we would like to keep the cost at a minimum. That's why we are considering traveling by train instead of flying out of Bucharest to Rome. I have seen some prices at around $400 per person but that seems too much, considering I've heard train travel in europe is relatively cheap and efficient. Am I wrong in thinking this is too much or is it about right? We aren't planning on stopping in any other countries on the way to sight see, we just want a one way ticket from Romania to Italy. Nor are we planning on coming back for a long time.
(This is the first time in europe for me and one other traveler in my group, the other person went to europe a few years ago but just stayed in one city, so we are a bit ignorant on how to efficiently travel in europe. We are very used to driving everywhere in the U.S. and have taken many roadtrips, so driving is not a problem for us if that might be a better option. Although I have to admit I'm worried that we might get lost trying to drive across europe.
Thank you for all your help!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you try the budget airlines?
http://www.whichbudget.com/#from28
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
J62

It's a long, long way from Bucharest to Italy. 24hr train ride to Venice, longer to anywhere else in Italy.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM

Hi, I just checked www.harefares.com and it listed 6 different cheap airlines that fly from Bucharest to Rome. I checked the price with MyAir for September 11 and the one way price was 50 euro. So there are a lot cheaper and faster options out there if you decide not to train it.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Yay! This helps A LOT! I think we are going to fly now. A long train ride probably won't be very enjoyable and the airfare I'm coming up with thanks to your guy's help is actually cheaper than what I anticipated so thank you!!!!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM

Cheap travel might be available by bus. When we were in Maramures, we met a woman who was going to Italy for a 3 month job, traveling by express bus from Sighet to Italy (a 24 hour ride); it was meant as a direct connection for the Romanians going to work in Italy. There must be similar buses from Bucharest. But I suspect that this is not first class travel.