Search

Traveling Solo in Ireland.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling Solo in Ireland.

Hi!

I am in my early 20s female traveling alone to Ireland in April and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things to do or see? Things not to miss? Also any advice on traveling solo to Ireland as a female. I am flying in to Dublin and plan to spend a few days there, Cork, and Galway City. Planning on staying in some hostels some nights as well...any suggestions on good hostels in any of those cities?

Thanks so much!!!
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Don't have any fears about traveling solo in Ireland. There are several threads on this, one in fact a wonderful trip report by another young lady traveling solo.

I have traveled solo many times over the last 40 years, many times to Ireland. Nary a problem. Once a flat tire which was changed by a friendly farmer. Once was ppulled out of sand in which my rental car got stuck. Another friendly farmer with his tractor. When I got lost there was always someone who redirected me. Of course, now I am a middleaged (probably old to you) lady and am planning another trip to the Emerald Isle.

Tell us what you are interested in seeing and there are lots of Fodorites who would be glad to help.

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 09:41 AM

You'll love Ireland and shouldn't have any problem traveling alone. Just use common sense to keep both yourself and your valuables safe. It's a very friendly country.

One question I have for you is how you're planning on getting around. If you're relying on the train, you may find it difficult traveling between Cork to Galway as there is no direct service. I'm not sure how long you're going to be there, but if it's only for a week or so, I'd pick either Galway or Cork to visit and spend some time exploring the surrounding area.

In any event, Cork and Galway Cities are both lovely places, with lots of students, restaurants, pubs, live music. For me, the fun in those cities is just hanging out/walking around and meeting people.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Glad to hear I have no need to worry about traveling solo in Ireland! I have heard many good things about the hospitality of the irish people and am not too worried about them. Just scary as a 24 year old girl going there alone. Very excited in all though!

I am flying into Dublin and plan on spending 4 days there but have not idea what to do the next 10! I think on my last day in Dublin I am going to rent a car. I definatly know I want to go to Galway for a few days? Any suggestions on what not to miss there? Also want to visit Cork. Some one else told me to not miss county kerry?? Anyone have ideas on what not to miss and what to see in 10days going by car??
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:27 AM

It's likely you'll feel so welcome in Ireland, you might even forget you're traveling alone.

Standard solo travel precautions apply to Ireland. Just give yourself a lot of time to get from place to place...without a navigator, you might need to turn around for missed turn offs and such.

Many B&Bs will charge you a single supliment for rooms which is higher than the regular per person rate.

Travel light, it makes it easier to get around...and no one else will notice that you've worn the same three shirts for the entire trip.

It doesn't hurt to ask your hosts for food and drink suggestions and let them know your general plans - they'll keep an eye out for you.

Have fun.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:34 AM
lawchick

...Just scary as a 24 year old girl going there alone....

Don't worry - many Irish people have been away travelling solo from 17 or 18 - to countries a lot more scary than Ireland.

You'll be fine - it's safe and the people are friendly. Don't be afraid to ask questions - the people are chatty and willing to help.

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:44 AM

4 days is a long time in Dublin. Kudos on your decision to not rent your vehicle until you are leaving Dublin.On your first day, buy a ticket and catch one of the Hop-on/off Open Top Bus Tours, which takes you to all of Dublin's Major attractions, allowing you to get on and off at your leisure. The ticket is good for a full 24 hours from time of purchase.

There are several tours that you can take from Dublin that are well worth it. Over The Top Tours, www.overthetoptours.com, does a great off-the-beaten track tour of Wicklow & Glendalough. The Causey Experience, www.causeyexperience.com, allows you to try out aspects of Irish life, enjoy a colcannon supper and some Trad music. Irish Rover, www.irishrover.ie, has a great tour of Newgrange . Paddy wagon, www.paddywagontours.com, does a day tour to Belfast.

Should you prefer not driving around Ireland yourself, Paddy Wagon also offers a tour service which allows you to stop off and rejoin them at any of their stops throughout Ireland.

April is a great time to visit Ireland. How long will you be over there?

Enjoy your adventure!

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
www.cowboycraic.com
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

The Paddywagon tours are an excellent idea! I had some friends that studies abroad a couple years ago in england and went on one of those paddywagon tours and said they were awesome!

I'll be in Ireland total for 13 days..any other ideas for the Galway coast area?
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM

I put in the recommendation for the Dublin Hostelling International on your other thread. Just wanted to add, that I was a solo female and had no problems when walking to and from the hostel to Heusten train station very early morning and late night.

I went to the Tourist Info Center when I got to Dublin and they had info on bus and train tours. I took a train tour to Cork, Cobh, and Blarney Castle (don't bother with the stone) that was very good. I can't remember the company name.

I also recommend taking the DART north to Malahide, a little seaside resort town, and go see Malahide Castle and its grounds. It's a small castle, but the family left it intact to the city in 1976 and I found it interesting. Plus, you can buy one ticket that will get you into the castle and other places in Dublin, such as Dublin Writer's Museum, James Joyce Museum and Shaw's Birthplace.

I also like to recommend the Jewish Museum. It's the only thing open early on Sunday mornings. Then you can move on to Shaw's Birthplace which is within walking distance.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:58 AM

http://www.paddywagontours.com/index.php

They cover ground very fast but some of the shorter trips are good. Generally a younger crowd. They have a couple of day trips from Dublin or you could also do some of the whirlwind tours that go north or south.

Bill
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 12:39 AM
lawchick

http://www.delphiadventureholidays.ie/home.html

You could go somewhere like this for the weekend - about an hour from Galway