Traveling Solo

Apr 24th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Traveling Solo

How many of you here travel solo, without a partner/companion?

As a single guy, I have traveled solo since I was in college and enjoy almost every aspect of it.

I got terribly bored in Cabo San Lucas but that's because I'm not a sand and beach kind of person. Loved traveling along in Europe because there is so much to do and see.

Anyone else care to share their experience?
Apr 24th, 2006, 11:43 AM

I will frequently travel without DH, and he sometimes travels without me too. But, we also travel a lot together too!! LOL

I've made 6 trips to Australia and the South Pacific islands and DH has yet to go there. I've also traveled a lot in the USA alone. I like keeping my own schedule. Have done so since about 1975. I remember the looks I got, in small town USA, when neighbors found out I was going ALONE. Oh my!!!

Times have changed. Solo travel is really quite common.
Apr 24th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Traveled solo to Europe 6/7 times. I find it ideal to be able to plan and adjust my day based on what I want to do, or how I feel during the day. I think teaches you to be more self-reliant.
I have also taken other people to Europe, and while I did enjoy it, there is a different vibe when I'm the tour guide versus when I'm my own. That being said, my concerns originally were eating alone, but once I did it, and planned by having a guidebook to plan things or something else to read, I felt less 'visible'. In fact, I never felt that I was treated any differently at restos, maybe even better. Also liked that fact that I can get easier access to tickets (eg. 5 plays in 4 days in London). I also have never solo'ed to beaches on my own, but have done Cape Cod/Boston a few times. My trips have been done sometimes at the last minute, which is the flexibility I like to have. I've also traveled with one relative and the old saying that you never truly know someone till you travel with them applied...I was counting the days/hours till the end. Yes, an ideal travel companion would make a solo trip better, but in the meantime I don't want to limit my trips because I can't find someone to go with.

My babblings...
MIke
Apr 24th, 2006, 12:01 PM

I do (travel solo) a lot.

I am lucky to have friends who live in Europe so I often fly over solo, do 1-2 cities on my own, then join them as a houseguest for a week or so.

I have traveled alone most often to beach vacations (unlike our OP I am a "sand & beach kind of person"). That said, I do pick places with lots of people around and plenty to do rather than a remote spot so boredom isn't an issue for me.

I enjoy traveling solo because it is complete freedom & the easiest logistically, doing whatever you want whenever you want. It is also the most challenging when things go wrong.

I have traveled with pretty much every imaginable combination... partner, platonic companions, dear sister, cousin, small group of friends, occasionally adult family members, and loved 'em all. Each one has its pros and cons.

Apr 24th, 2006, 12:06 PM

My wife and I traveled to France one year and Italy four years later despite her fear of flying, but after the TWA Flight 800 and 9/11 disasters she vowed never to fly again. (We lived in Long Island at the time.)

For me, it was simple: Either I stay home or go it alone. No contest.

Iíve gone solo three times to France, once to Spain, and three times to Italy, and Iím heading to Rome a week from tomorrow. I would love to have her with me, but thatís beyond discussion. Traveling alone, I get to do exactly what I want to do, when I want to do it, and how I want to do it. I have to admit that after having gone alone to Europe so often, and obviously getting my own way each time, I wonder how companionable I would be now.

My decision to forge ahead is one I will never regret. My only regret would have been if Iíd chosen the easy path and stayed home.

Apr 24th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Amy

I travel solo as often as I can ;-) although I have had fun times travelling with friends and relatives as well. I just love being on my own and having the freedom of choice that only comes with solo travel.

So far I've been on my own to Bermuda, Portugal, Malta, Israel, China, Peru, Netherlands, Vietnam, and I think a few more. It's been splendid, and I've met lots of great people. Much of my European travel has been with a group or friends, though as many people seem to want to go to Europe with someone with a bit of experience. That's been fun, too, just in a different way. I can't say that one is better than the other, but I'm glad I have the option of solo!