Traveling inside Italy

Search

Traveling inside Italy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling inside Italy

My friend and I are planing a ten day trip to Italy. We have been looking at trains but find the website quite confusing. Can anyone advise what is the best/cost effective way to get from Rome to Florence, Florence to Venice and Naples to Rome.
We also plan to visit Capri and Pompeii from Naples - should we be taking buses or trains.
And lastly, we are not sure where to stay in Rome? We'd like to stay in an area that is near a metro and not too costly.
Look forward to lots of advise and information. Thanks. Rakhi
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM
ira

Hi R,

R to F, F to V and N to R are easily done by train.

What is it about www.trenitalia.com that you find confusing?

How are you getting from Venice to Naples?

Are you sure that you want to? You have only 10 days.

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:57 PM

We did trains, but they can get very confusing especially when you have to transfer from one sub-station to another.I am sure many well traveled foderites find it a snap,but I was a first timer to Italy and found it very confusing.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm no expert, but you can go to the train station and buy a ticket there. The only time we arranged ahead was for overnight trains with a private cabin (Geneva/Venice and Venice/Paris).
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 05:45 PM

I think you can also go to a travel agency there to buy your ticket at no charge, which we found helpful when there was, of course, a strike.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are many trains each day on the routes you are considering. Go to www.trenitalia.com and click on "English," plug in the city pairs and a date/time. You'll get 4 or 5 results each request input. There is a "Help" link at the bottom of the screen.

You can wait until you get to Italy and buy all your tickets at once either at the Roma Termini station, at a travel agency or at the American Express office near the Spanish Steps. The only journey in your contemplated city pairs that will require a change of trains is Venice to Naples. The fastest journey is through Roma Termini and just means getting off the first train, looking on the board for the track (binario) where you will board the second train.

But Ira raises a good point. The train ride from Venice to Naples will take a minimum of 7 hours. That's a lot of lost time in an already relatively short trip. As Capri and Pompeii are on your list, I suggest you leave Venice for another trip.

Regarding the Rome hotel question, you must first give us your idea of "not too costly." Second, look at a good map of Rome and note the metro route in relation to the main tourist sights. It's more likely you'd use public buses to get around in Rome.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Rakhi,we did this trip early in the year,we bought the italy pass with 4 days,you can buy extra days,at any travel agency,and make reservations for the Rome to Florence,Florence to Venice,Rome to Naples ,there is a seat cost for the Eurostar train .To visit Pompeii buy a circunvesuviana tkt at the train station,it will leave you at the entrance of Pompeii,are you going from Venice to Naples,because is very far,or are you going to Naples after Rome so you can use the extra tkt Naples to Rome.
As to Capri you can go from Naples or Sorrento in the ferry.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM

In ROme the best area to stay in is the historic center, near Pantheon/Navona/Fiori. If you want to be near the metro to get around, most of the sites are walkable from this area. There is metro access in the general area, but I never used it. I did use buses and the tram on occasion.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded.

A query to Jean - how much did the 4-day pass cost?

It's going to be hectic but we have a pretty cooly itinerary planned out and we are travel junkies, the more packed the better. To all those concerned about the jump from Venice to Naples - we got a sweet deal on a no-frills airline for Euro 0.00/-, we had to pay taxes only which came to about Euro 44!

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded.

A query to Liana - how much did the 4-day pass cost?

It's going to be hectic but we have a pretty cool itinerary planned out and we are travel junkies, the more packed the better. To all those concerned about the jump from Venice to Naples - we got a sweet deal on a no-frills airline for Euro 0.00/-, we had to pay taxes only which came to about Euro 44!

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Im a budget traveller, for Rome my options so far include

Hotel Alessandro
A Home in Rome
Campsite Roma &
The Yellow!! My fave pick

But then i intend to be hostelling. I find the best sites to book hotels are venere.com and
trav.com

Have Fun!! Maybe i'll catch you in Rome
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:13 AM

oh hey! also check out skyteam.com
it's a great guide to find out about key events where you plan to visit. I believe you'll be able to take advantage of the Roma Festival
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Please check point-to-point prices carefully against any rail passes. Travel for your limited itinerary would probably not save money.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 12:38 AM

Rakhi,

You say you found a no-frills airline to fly between Venice and Naples.

I've been looking for such an option and couldn't find one.

Can you please tell me what airline is that?
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 05:00 AM

Alpie Eagles is running one way specials from Venice to Naples from .90 Euro cents, to 29 Euro, up to 149 Euro. The key to the budget airlines in Europe is that you have to grab the specials immediately; if you wait, they'll be gone and you'll be left with the 149 Euro fare.

I recently flew Rome to Paris on Ryanair for around 50 Euros, with taxes and fees.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 06:18 AM

myair.com is another good option to consider. Last year I flew Venice to Paris ( Orly) on a great deal.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Myair.com does not fly to Naples out of Venice. MyAir flies only to international destinations from Venice's Marco Polo Airport.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Girlspytravel,

Thank you for Alpi Eagles. I'll follow them closely for that special offer once I know my dates of travel.

Lavender, thank you for your suggestion. I'll keep MyAir in mind for other opportunities.