Traveling for 2-80 yr. women-transportation and currency

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transportation is a concern for my 84yr. old Mother and her 80 yr. old female companion. They will be taking a cruise but coming in a day early. Transporation from the airport to the hotel (Royal Ramblas) is a concern and to the port the next day. Any suggestions? Do they need to bring local currency or are US dollars OK? Thanks for helping a daughter feel less stressed by this.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Erm... where did you say they are going?

"Hotel Royal Ramblas" makes me guess Barcelona?
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM

Normally a hotel can arrange for a transportation from the airport to the hotel. Because of repeat business from the hotel, the transportation company will do their darnest to see that everything goes okay with mom. So contact the hotel.

Similar for the hotel to port transportation. Either the cruise line or the hotel can set things up.

For euros, your bank, American Express or possibly even AAA can help (exchange rate will not be great plus they charge fees but peace of mind is not free).
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Barcelona is where my Mother and friend are going. Thank you for the response, I will check with them first about the transportation issues. I had assumed they could get transportation to the dock thru the hotel but wasn't sure about the transport from airport to hotel.
I will also check at the bank to get some Euros for them as well. Thank you so much for helping me.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Your mother and her friend could also get Euros at ATMs in Barcelona. I expect the cruise will also be able to exchange dollars for Euros, but the rate won't be as good.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Kudos to your two octogenarians fot their travel plans!
I would advise that they either convert Travelers' Cheques (or US Dollars), about $300 minimum to Euros, at the airport or that they withdraw Euros at an ATM (better rate) before going to the taxi queue at Barcelona's Prat de Llobregat airport. There are ATM's throughout the airport.

U.S. Dollars are NOT OK! They may be accepted at their hotel but the exchange rate will be less than attracive.

The cruise will probably be calling at Ports in the Euro zone, so they can spend their Euros in any of those places; and they will need Euros for shopping or even for just having a cup of tea with some local pastries at those Euro Zone Ports.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 09:43 AM
ira

Hi M,

>Do they need to bring local currency or are US dollars OK? <

USD are NOT OK.

They do not NEED to bring any with them.

They should have two charge cards (in case one goes bad) and charge everything they can.

The least expensive way to get local currency is at an ATM machine.

The most expensive is to exchange USD on the cruise or at the hotel.

Old Jul 13th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Hopefully, these ladies are comfortable using an ATM because that is the easiest method of getting the best rates. I've never had a problem finding an ATM in an airport such as Barcelona's.

As for transportation, hopefully that can be paid for by credit card.

Keep travelling, grannies. It is what keeps you young.

Another granny
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Since you are helping them, I would simply purchase euros in advance at your home bank. Sure the exchange rate will not be as favorable but it will save them any hassles.

Anyone can use an ATM after arrival in Spain or buy currency at an airport along the way, but this would be one less them for them to worry about.

(Oops, to answer the question, yes they need local currency not US dollars on the ground in Spain).
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Ditto the credit card advice, plus be sure that prior to departure you notify the credit card issuers that they will be traveling out of the country, and provide the dates. If you don't do this there is a higher chance that overseas use could trigger fraud detection and cause the card to be refused at time of use.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 11:32 AM

I agree with Suze on getting some Euros in advance and then using the ATM. Even though we're not 80 - we always do this because we're usually tired from the flight and we don't want to have to deal with using an ATM right away.

Also - go to www.cruisecritic.com and look for people's comments about transportation in Barcelona from the airport to hotel. A lot of people use private transport because they are doing the exact same thing your mother is doing. They probably can recommend some companies if the hotel doesn't. I've also had good luck in using www.limos.com which does have international cities listed. It's how I arranged an airport pick up in Istanbul and other ports.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 03:13 PM

With your circumstances, I would agree with the recommendation to get Euros before getting there. I would also check with the Hotel to get an estimate of taxi fare around their arrival time.

I would not count on my parents in the similar age bracket to be able to figure out how to use foreign ATM machines on their own. They have enough trouble using unfamiliar U.S. machines. Would they think about pushing a button with Union Jack flag to get instruction in English? Struggling to operate an ATM can attract undesirable "helpful" locals.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your much appreciated help! I will pass all this onto my Mom. This helps to put my own mind somewhat at rest and lets me know what to do next to make their trip as smooth as possible.