Traveling by train in italy?

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 06:46 AM
nicki

Traveling by train in italy?

Is there a direct train that goes from Venice to the amalfi coast. I really want to stay a few days in Venice and then go to to Positano. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Santa Chiara

Nicki, there is no direct route, but you can plot your own course by going to www.trenitalia.it. You can't go to Positano directly by train, but you can get to either Sorrento or Salerno. Then you take bus, ferry or donkey from there. Some kind soul with more time than I will eventually give you complete details on train schedule options, but in the meantime, you can research it for yourself.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:33 AM
GAC

There are numerous ways to get to Positano from Venice. Perhaps the fastest is to take the Eurostar train (ES) leaving Venice Santa Lucia at 8:33 a.m., connecting to the Intercity train (IC) at Rome Termini, arriving at Naples Mergellina Station at 16:04. Then walk 400 yards to the Mergellina hydrofoil dock and take the direct hydrofoil to Positano (summer only). If you wanted to go to Amalfi, you would take the IC train from Rome to Salerno, then walk 300 yards to the ferry landing and take the 30 minute ferry to Amalfi.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Grasshopper

Or from Naples take the Circumvesuvius train to Sorrento and then the bus to Amalfi.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 11:15 AM
GAC

In reply to the previous posting, this is certainly a possibility, although if you are coming from Rome (or North), it is faster to take the regular train to Salerno (skipping Naples), and then the ferry to Amalfi.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Kay

GAC, Please tell me about the hydrofoils from Naples to Positano. How long is the trip? Is there a web page with the schedule? Does it run in mid-May? How far is the dock from the airport? I have always arrived by train and had a driver deliver me to Positano. I am interested in trying the hydrofoil. Thanks. K

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Julie

The hydrofoil from Naples to Positano takes 45 minutes, but I don't think it runs as early as May.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 08:44 AM
GAC

Kay, As Julie noted in the previous posting, the direct hydrofoil from Napoli Mergellina to Positano probably does not operate as early as mid-May, however if I determine otherwise, I will post further information. The Mergellina hydrofoil dock is about 400 yards from the Mergellina train and metro station. From the airport, you would take the half-hourly local bus no. 14 (or the hourly Airport Bus) to Piazza Garibaldi (Central Train Station), and from there the metro to Mergellina metro station. A taxi from the Airport to Mergellina (better solution) costs at least Lire 40,000. Bear in mind that there is also an inexpensive airport bus from the airport direct to Sorrento (only four per day), from where you catch the hourly SITA bus to Positano. This is the best option if the hydrofoil service does not operate to Positano.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 11:12 AM
GAC

Here are the daily bus schedules from Naples Capodichino Airport to Sorrento (taken from the website of the operator www.curreriviaggi.it)<BR><BR>9:00, 11:30, 13:00, 14:30, 16:30, 19:00<BR><BR>Services takes one hour.