Reload this Page >

Traveling between Munich and Salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Bob Brown

I need a judgment call from those of you who are familiar with the road conditions between Salzburg and Munich. Would you drive it, both ways, or take the train?<BR>My questions derives from this scenario.<BR>I want to visit Heiligenblut, which is on the south side of the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse. My choices are:<BR>1. rent a car in Munich and drive via Salzburg to Heiligenblut, or<BR>2. take the train to Salzburg and rent a car in Salzburg and drive to Heilgenblut.<BR><BR>Chances are that my return trip to Munich would land me in the heavy traffic between 4 and 6 PM unless I delay an event on the day I return. <BR><BR>I have heard stories about massive traffic backups on that autobahn route leading into Munich from the Salzburg area. <BR>So, based on your experience, what would you do?<BR><BR>The Avis car rental office is very close to the Salzburg train station, and within walking distance. (I know where it is from last year.)<BR>In Munich there is a little more of a hassle in getting to the rental agency.<BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Liz

I don't think the drive from Munich to Salzburg is very interesting. I would opt for the train.

Old May 18th, 2002, 04:22 AM
liz

definitely drive from Munich to Salznurgh, It is beautiful and worth it. Train is not so good.

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:05 AM
wes fowler

A couple of thoughts, Bob. If you're going to be driving on Austrian highways, you'll need a vignette. An auto rented in Germany probably won't have one, an Austrian rental will. Cost to purchase one is nominal, but it is a cost that can be avoided depending upon rental location.<BR><BR>While the autobahn to Munich from Salzburg may be heavily traveled, you'll find Rte 304 from Salzburg through Traunstein and Wasserburg to Munich less so. Question becomes: do you want to make time or simply avoid traffic?

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:52 AM
John

Hi Bob,<BR><BR>I found the drive between Munich and Salzburg relaxing with some interesting scenery/changes in scenery.<BR><BR>I would rent the car in Munich . . . but then again, I am not a train guy.

Old May 18th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Tom

As long as you are going, go to Bertchegarden (sp?) and see Hitler's Eagles Nest.