traveling alone to Spain

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Shari M.

traveling alone to Spain

I am travelling to Spain in a couple of weeks and need economy hotel recommendations for Madrid and Southern Spain. I will be joining up with a conference when I get to Barcelona, so these accommodations are already arranged. I'd like to meet other people (in their 30s) and be safe. I plan to use a rail pass to travel.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Maira

Please specify how economic. Hotel Mora was $50/double, probably cheaper for a single room. Clean, close to Atocha, safe, across from the Botanical Gardens. My last time in Spain was a solo trip this April. Loved the train system, also took day tours to Toledo and Segovia and met up with other solo travelers; an architect from Uruguay (nice retired lady), a secretary from Argentina, an Agricultural Engineer from Nicaragua, two professors from a University in Dallas. Just be careful and be aware of your surroundings.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 07:09 PM
Shari M.

Thank you for your quick reply.
This is my first time to Europe and first time travelling alone. (Could have had better timing!)
I am pretty city smart and have traveled extensively in South America, but I have to admit the mugging stories are freaking me out.
The Mora hotel has been favorably mentioned before. I am hoping to pay under $30.00/night CD for single rooms, but I will pay more for the right location.
Hostels are okay too.
Is there anywhere really special to stay in the South of Spain or Barcelona? ie. a castle? I was hoping to do something like that for 1 night only.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 11:58 PM
Pedro

I would say every place in Ronda is a bit special. You might want to try:

Hotel Alavera
Hotel Enfrente Arte
Hotel San Gabriel
Hotel San Miguel
Hotel La Casona de la Ciudad

There are several chances to sleep within a castle in Spain, but you may find difficult to get there by train. These are:

Parador Castillo de Alarcón (Cuenca province ).

Parador Castillo de Sigüenza (Guadalajara province )

Parador de Zafra (Zafra, Badajoz province )

Parador Castillo de Santa Catalina (Jaen city, south of Spain )

Hotel Castillo de Monda (Monda, Malaga province )

Casas Rurales Castillo de Castellar (Castellar, Cadiz province )

Parador Alcazar del Rey D. Pedro (Carmona, Sevilla province )

Hotel America (Granada, South of Spain ).

Hope this helps a bit.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Will

Shari,

For cheap (but clean) accomodations in Madrid, you might try Hotel Plaza Mayor. It's only a block off the Plaza Mayor and about three blocks from the Sol metro stop. A single w/ bath is around 6,500 pesetas (~40USD, I think). They've a web site at www.h-plazamayor.com. I stayed there last year and was quite satisfied.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Maribel

Shari,
I heartily second all of Pedro's Ronda choices. I think you'd love the sweet little San Gabrie(www.sangabriel.com). It would be the one that would best fit your budget (single for about 9,000 pts.)-also the Don Miguel, but for the money I think the San Gabriel has lots more charm and is newer and more atmospheric.
In Cordoba, for your budget I'd consider the little Albucasis, tucked into a quiet corner of the Juderia.
(www.karenbrown.com) Or the less expensive Hotel Maestre (www.hotelmaestre.com)
In Seville, 3 budget choices come to mind: the Hotel La Rabida and Hotel Simon, downtown, or the historic Hosteria del Laurel of Don Juan fame (www.sol.com) on a delightful square in the heart of the Santa Cruz quarter.
In Granada, I have a friend who enjoyed the Hotel Reina Cristina downtown, it's been recommended repeatedly on the Forum, and singles run 9,309 pts. I think this is a nicer downtown area for you than the Plaza Nueva, which has become pretty seedy.
(www.hotelreinacristina.com)
Staying on the Alhambra hill is a really special treat, but even singles at the quaint Hotel America will run over $100 US-you may want to splurge instead at one of the castle Paradors that Pedro mentioned-my vote would be for the Alcazar Don Pedro in Carmona, which you can access by bus from Seville.

To keep within your $30 CD limit in Madrid, you may have to go the hostal route. I agree completely with Maira's rec. of the Hotel Mora, for maybe $50 US single, and while I don't have personal experience with Will's selection, both the Mora and the Plaza Mayor are the only two really budget hotels (rms 9,000 or under) in Old Madrid recommended in the Michelin red Spain/Portugal-a good sign. For a clean, respectable, well run, even attractive hostal with pleasant, bright rms, I can personally recommend the Hostal de Santa Barbara on the Plaza Santa Barbara (adjacent to metro stop), near Plaza Colon.
For a large choice of hostals/budget choices in Madrid, you can also check the following:
www.madridman.com
www.softguides.com/madrid_guide
www.spainalive.com
www.ricksteves.com
www.timeout.com
www.lonelyplanet.com
www.eurotrip.com
Hope this helps.
Maribel

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Maribel

Shari,
Just looked at the new Enfrente Arte in Ronda at www.enfrentearte.com
- says it has singles for 7,000 pts. including brk. lunch, free bar, internet access. To good to be true??? Don't know, but take a look.