Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning a trip to New York...10 favorite things to do

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 07:58 AM
justme

I count many of you as cyber friends and would like your input as to your favorite things to do in New York.
I love and have visited the Frick, Guggenheim, the Met, as well as the opera, ballet, at Lincoln Center. I have been fortunate to be invited onto the floor of the NYSE. So, I have had fun on my three trips there.
What would you suggest as an interesting event or sight?
Thanks,
Peace and Love to all, esp. our friends in New York

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:55 AM
cindy

Walk down 5th Avenue and windowshop...visit St. Patrick's cathedral (light a candle while you're there)...go to the Bronx Zoo, the Botanical Gardens, the Cloisters..take a Circle Line tour up the Hudson to see the leaves in the Catskills...go to a few Broadway or off-Broadway shows...

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:56 AM
cindy

..though it just occurred to me that you're posting on the Europe forum. Try the US forum for more ideas.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 10:38 AM
Escritora

From a New Yorker who is VERY glad you're visiting:

1. If you like dance, try this lovely smaller venue--the Joyce Theater (www.joyce.org for schedule info).

2. Visit the Cloisters for a taste of Europe in Manhattan. That's where the Unicorn Tapestries are. BTW, you can visit the Cloisters and the Met Museum on a single same-day admission, and the Met is open late (and has free concerts on the mezzanine) Friday and Saturday nights.

3. Check out the Morgan Library (www.morganlibrary.org)--elements of art and finance, and sometimes concerts there, too.

4. The Museum of the City of New York (www.mcny.org) is great. If you take the subway there, get off at 96th Street and walk over to Fifth Avenue and up to 103rd. Yes, there's one subway stop closer, but then you have to walk through a housing project to get there. Not dangerous, but a bit of a meandering walk.

5. Take a backstage tour of Lincoln Center or Radio City, or take the UN tour.

6. Have a post-theater nightcap in the revolving bar atop the Mariott Marquis. Touristy, sure. But we still have one kicka$$ skyline.

7. Visit Ellis Island. And plan to arrive early and spend many hours there.

8-10. Three (of many) favorite restaurants: The Delta Grill (Cajun in the theater district), Cuba Libre (Cuban and Latin American entrees and tapas in Chelsea, near the Joyce), and La Palapa (yes, NYC DOES have good Mexican, in the East Village).

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 11:27 AM
mark

Just went to the Cooper Hewitt to see the Secessionist / Bauhaus glass show - fantastic.
St John the Divine is the world's largest cathedral - located uptown (110 St)
Tour the UN - you can also reserve a seat at a special table in the kitchen where you get to sample various dishes made by the visting chef from (fill in the blank ) country.
Check out citysearch.com

Escorita -
La Palapa has great mexican.
Hell's Kitchen (nouveau mexican) in Hell's Kitchen is great also.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 12:54 PM
Elizabeth

Old Merchants House Museum

Tenement Museum (these 2 can easily be done in one leisurely outing)

Coincservancy Gardens at Fifth Avenue and 104th Street

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 02:38 PM
candice

I live in NY and these were such good recommendations! The Joyce is great,off-off Broadway can be fun,Los Dos Rancheros Mexicanos on 9th Ave is fun,for real downhome Mexican,breakfast at the Mercer or Cupping Room in Soho is fun,take a Circle Line tour around Manhattan at sundown,romantic!Sunday in Central Park, the Central Park zoo,visit the Museums on 5th Avenue and finish off with tea at the Palm Court in the Plaza Hotel-so much to do -so little time~

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 11:45 AM
SJK

One thing I regret not having the time to do was cross the Brooklyn Bridge (on foot). There's pedestrian access (although I don't know if it's still allowed). It's one of the oldest suspension bridges in the world.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Irene mcDonnell

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Been there, done that 8/12/01. Enjoy!