Traveler's Cheques in Euros

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 12:43 PM
Anna Gerac
Posts: n/a
Traveler's Cheques in Euros

I will be living in France for seven months...renting an apartment in Paris. In order to pay monthly rent does anyone know where I can go to get a Traveler's Cheque in Euros for this payment? Can I just go to the American Express office in Paris and complete this transaction.

If it is necessary to wire the money to the landlord what is the best way to do this if one does not have a France bank account?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 21st, 2002, 12:58 PM
Bob Brown
Posts: n/a
When I rent apartments in Europe, I pay cash. I go to the ATM, draw out the money, and count it out into the apartment owner's hand.
The people I rent from don;t want traveler's checks because they say they pay a fee to cash them.
Perhaps it is different in Paris.
Old Jul 21st, 2002, 03:10 PM
Posts: n/a
Anna, there was an ad in todays Boston Globe that American Express now has travel checks available in Euros here in the US. The info number was 1-866-AXP-2489. You may be able to order them through your bank. Good Luck!
Old Jul 21st, 2002, 03:26 PM
Posts: n/a
I agree with Bob. If the owner of the apartment is an idividual (i.e. not a company that constantly deals with overseas clients) he will probably not like the TC idea, because of the cost of cashing them. Very understandable.
You will most likely have to pay him a deposit and first month rent; that I would wire directly from your bank. The monthly rental, do it by getting Euros from an ATM. Either way, make sure you get receipts for all payments made.
Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:39 PM
Posts: n/a
Don't bother w/ travelers checks - they will cost you more and cost the landlord as well since he will have to pay to deposit into his own account.

Just leave your money in your account at home and draw what you need from the ATM or for bigger withdrawals - from a bank in Paris that is linked to your home bank.
Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Posts: n/a
I'm not sure I understand your situation, but it sounds like you need to pay with a check in euro because the landlord is not there or you wouldn't be talking about wiring. I would imagine you could do something like that at American Express, but I think you could probably also do that at a French post Office. They tend to have a lot of services like that, so I think that might be your best bet, I'd try there first.

Go to a post office with a sign that says "change" on it, that indicates they have financial services. They also sell travelers' checks there, also, (Am Express), so you might as well just go there, anyway.

If you are going to be there that long, you might consider opening a French bank account.
Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:04 PM
not sure but ??
Posts: n/a
Is there something like (in the U.S. we would call) a Money Order, that you would purchase from a post office or bank with cash and mail to your landlord?
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Dec 11th, 2013 10:24 AM
Feb 1st, 2013 01:58 PM
Oct 22nd, 2009 07:37 AM
Sep 2nd, 2009 12:28 PM
Aug 10th, 2007 10:12 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:37 AM.