Reload this Page >

Travelers Checks

Search

Travelers Checks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 06:55 AM
Kelly

Travelers Checks

Are travelers checks a good way to bring currency into Russia? Is there any problem negotiating them?

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 07:24 AM
John

It has been ten years since we were in Russia, but I do not think that there are too many people there who will want Russian money. The usual demand was for HARD currency.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 04:53 AM
noname

travellers cheques are absolutely fine, there are lots of places to change them in st. p and moscow, but amex are better than thomas cook. also, cash cards (cirrus, maestro, visa) are all fine too. maybe some hard cash is useful, but not necessary, hardly anything is paid for in dollars now.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 09:48 AM
Jeff

I disagree that travelers checks are fine. I just returned from Moscow and St. Petersburg. A couple on the tour brought travelers checks and had difficulty cashing them. I also found that the vast majority of the Russian economy uses U.S. Dollars. To say that almost nothing is paid for in dollars is just not true. You will be better off to bring cash. I brought 100 $1.00 bills. This was a great thing. I would suggest bringing a lot of smaller bills, $5, $10, $20. I also went to Salvation Army and bought 10 pair of blue jeans for $3.00 each. I gave them as gifts to my guides and others that were nice to me. They loved them. If you do this, make sure that they have the Levi's tag on the jeans. Good luck.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 09:19 PM
Marc David Miller

My experience last year in Moscow and St Petersburg was that Amex TC's were fine at certain banks (and you could NOT cash them at the Amex office!!), but you must call Amex and ask them which banks will cash them. Stores officially will not take dollars, but many have exchange offices inside. Only the more expensive stores/restaurants take CCs. Also, many items are priced in "CU" "Conditional Units", which are dollars, but you pay for them in rubles. <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 01:31 AM
Shirley

I recently spent 3 weeks participating in an archeological excavation with the U of Moscow. A great way to learn about Russia. However, credit cards are not easily used and travelers checks are impossible to get cashed. I found only one bank in the city that would cash travelers checks. New american currency is accepted most places. Before you go, make sure you have a current phone number for the American Embassy. The one in the travel books and listed in the local phone book is incorrect. Be patient. I tried for 3 weeks to call the embassy and no one answered the phone. <BR>Moscow is wonderful. Food is great. Prices are inexpensive. Metro stations are museums but hard to visit since the alphabet is different and signs are difficult to read. Be open and without preconceived ideas and you will have a great time.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 10:30 PM
Karen

Travellers checks are not at all convenient - even where you find a bank to cash them, you will pay a commission. Bring cash and bring an ATM card - you can get cash in ATMs in Moscow and St. Petersburg with no problem, and even in other cities. Take care with the ATMs, though, as there were recent problems with theft of PIN numbers. You can relatively safely rely on the ATMs at Bank of Moscow and Alfa Bank, and ATMs in the better hotel lobbies. Most of them take Cirrus and other network cards (check with your bank first). You can also get cash against your credit card in nearly any bank (for a fee of 1-3 percent, though, in addition to your own bank charges) and in the Amex offices in Moscow and St. Petersburg, you can use your Amex card (if you are signed up for this service) in their machine or even cash a personal check. <BR>A lot of stores and restaurants take credit cards, especially (again) in Moscow and St. Petersburg. What you will need cash for are souvenirs bought at street fairs and markets (definitely try out the large outdoor crafts market at Izmailova Park in Moscow), in smaller restaurants, and for small odds and ends (tips, newspapers, etc). Dollars used to rule, but I do about 99% of my cash transactions in rubles (and I live in Moscow). Bottom line: if you're going to be here for a short visit, bring enough cash to cover basics and proposed souvenir shopping, otherwise rely on credit cards and, if need be, an ATM card to get additional cash. By the way, if you come in with less than 1000 dollars, you can use the green channel at customs (although the figure is constantly changing ...) One final suggestion: PLEASE don't bring in old jeans as gifts - this is no longer the Soviet Union! If you want to bring gifts from home, bring something you'll be proud to give anyone anywhere (I like to bring Sierra Club calendars, for example, as a nice gift and way to show the natural beauty of America). At this point, guides probably prefer cash (like anywhere!)

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 06:03 PM
Everett

We just returned from Russia--a wonderful river cruise with INTRAV on the Krasin, Our experience in Russia and all over the world is to use an ATM card. Ours is from our credit union so there is NO fee and yes ATM's are almost all over-St. Petersburg, Moscow, and even Yourslavl. <BR>Seriously-check with your bank or credit union