Search

Travelcard and 2 for 1's

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2012, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelcard and 2 for 1's

Patience Fodorites,

I have read almost all of the posts related to this topic. I have been on the TfL site, the Days Out site (for 2 for 1's) and the National Express site. I have reviewed numerous travel books. I am confused! I understand an Oyster Card does not qualify one to participate in 2 for 1's. I understand that a "paper" rail ticket does. I think I understand that to take advantage of the 2 for 1's the "site" being visited must be visited the same date of travel listed on the rail ticket. I think I understand where to buy the travelcards, at the rail (not the tube) station. My questions (simple to me) are: Is a 7 day travel card available as "paper ticket"? IF yes, can I use to take advantage of 2 for 1's?

Thanks for your help. I will accept all the comments that may or may not be warranted by my inability to process all the information I have read. I am counting on you to set me straight.

Regards
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:14 PM

" Is a 7 day travel card available as "paper ticket"? IF yes, can I use to take advantage of 2 for 1's?"

Yes. But if and only if:
- it's on National Rail stock, bought at the RAILWAY ticket office at a railway (not tube) station, and
- you've acquired a photocard (bring your own photograph) while buying it.
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Thx Flanneruk. I will be arriving in London Paddington, from Bath Spa on a Monday. Should I be able to purchase the "travelcard" as a paper ticket, in Paddington. I will have photo ID.

Thanks
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:52 PM

He doesn't mean bring photo I'd - he means bring a photo so the rail employs can make you a photo card...
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:44 PM

Having a rail ticket from Bath to London already entitles you to the 2 for 1 offer. That is just the sort of ticket the offer is designed for.

However, the offer can only be used on the day of travel.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:47 AM

I was just reading up on the new photo requirement, which I had not realized had been implemented recently. So thanks for bringing this to our attention, flanneruk! Do you know if bringing a US passport photo will do? I know UK passport photo sizes are different.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 02:13 AM

I wonder if this is to discourage these from being used on 2for1's..? The cost of a passport pic can sometimes be a lot and perhaps outweigh the savings?
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 03:47 AM

<I>The cost of a passport pic can sometimes be a lot and perhaps outweigh the savings?</i>

They cost a few quid from a photo booth. I suspect it's more to do with people fraudulently using the Travelcard to travel with.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 05:47 AM

You don't need a "passport pic" -- any clear shot of your face, with an uncluttered background, will do so long as it's the correct size and printed in color. My ID photo for my Navigo carte is a shot of me standing on a front step in Chinnamanur, Tamil Nadu, India, cropped so pretty much only my face is in the print.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 05:48 AM

Good to know!
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. Good timely information. Does the photo card "qualify' as a paper ticket and ths can be used for 2 for 1's? My assumption has been if I purchase the 7 day travel card, and it is a "paper ticket" I have 7 days of options to use the 2 for 1's. I understand my travel from Bath to London qualifies me for the two for one; however, we will be arriving late afternoon and will not be able to use the 2 for 1 on that day.
Perhaps the easiest solution is to get and Oyster card, suck it up and pay admission for 2 people
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

flanneruk. I just re-read your first post and at long last the light bulb has gone on. I am slow but once I get it ......

I can buy the "paper" 7 day travel card, which must be used with the photo card. Both of these must be purchased at a rail ticket office not a tube ticket office.

Thanks again to all

Rolo
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 05:33 PM

Has anyone had trouble registering on the Days Out Guide website recently? Every time I attempt "continue registration" after filling out all the info, it redirects me back to the register page and tells me I must provide my house number or name and postcode, even though I have clicked that I'm not from the UK every time. It's driving me nuts. Anyone else?
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM

Please disregard the above post! I figured out the problem.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 10:06 PM

For those whose light bulb isn't working

The photocard gives proof that you are entitled to use the particular Travelcard.

The Travelcard is what gives you the eligibility for the offers (and you can use it for travel in London as well!!!)