Travel with baby...Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to fly in/out of Dublin and are allowing ourselves 6 days to explore. Our son will be approx. 7 months. While we considered renting a car, I think using the train would be the best option and we will most likely base ourselves out of Dublin and use the rail tours.
*I notice that most rail tours leave from the Heuston station, which hotel/B&B would be close or within walking distance? Or are there better places to stay and other ways that we can get to this station in the early morning? (not a taxi)
*I know that on the train we are permitted to hold our son on our lap. However, we will be taking a bus from the airport to hotel(I don't think there are trains, correct?)...would that also be permitted on a bus?
*For those familiar with the rail tour are there any other words of advice for doing a few tours with a small child?

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 06:35 PM

I can't help you with Dublin but there are lots of threads on here about traveling with a baby. Just search under "infant" or "baby". I posted some thoughts on a trip to Rome with my 9 mo. old last October under http://tinyurl.com/3bcfl5 (if the link doesn't work, just search on my name) and found lots of helpful info before we left from other fodors posts. There are also some websites dedicated to travel with children - www.familytravelnetwork.com is one.

I found traveling with my daughter to be a great experience and I think your son will be a great age. He probably isn't moving too much and still happy to sit or sleep in his stroller which makes things easier. Good luck!
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:45 AM

You can keep your daughter on your lap in the bus to my knowledge. The Kilmainham Hilton is probably the better hotel close to the station http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...inham/index.do Do NOT stay at the Aisling its awful. Alternatively there is a new Comfort in in Smith field or Chief O'Neills in smithfield. Both of these are 2 tram stops to Heuston station.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM

I presume you'll be taking a stroller/buggy, or do you think you'll be able to manage with Baby Bjorn? There are pros/cons on both--BabyBjorn is lighter and takes less space though 7month can be getting a bit heavy for that. Make sure you have a lightweight stroller that's easy to fold.

I presume airport-hotel bus would be a coach-type (as opposed to city bus with a flat floor), in which case you just hold your son.

I have not taken a rail tours, but is it an organised tour? If so, will you be able to get off the train and continue on if, for example, your son has motion sickness or gets collic?

As for other tips,
* Not sure if you're flying to get to Ireland but if you do, make sure you carry a few extra nappies just in case of flight delays etc. Also carry a spare change of clothes.
* I found thick-ish plastic mat to be invaluable as a changing mat liner.
* Make sure you carry a small water bottle. It's good for cleaning/wiping things or for making formula bottles, reconstituting baby cereals.
* You should be able to find basic baby foods and forumula (if not breastfeeding), though finicky babies may find the taste slightly unfamiliar. Well, you always have the mashed banana option!
* 7month is such a nice age to be travelling--not too mobile that you have to worry about the child running all over etc.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 08:27 AM

"A great age"....what... at 7 months the little fellow wouldn't have a clue as to where he is going....
For your sanity maybe a nanny at home while you are gone??!!....Just a thought.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 08:34 AM

longboatkey, what if she's breastfeeding?

Just a thought.

Bloom
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 08:37 AM

nah - 7 moths is the perfect, portable age ;-)

Ireland is VERY baby friendly and it is also a great place to shop for baby items
(clothes, etc.) even with the low dollar, I find baby and kids items much cheaper than in the US.

Some pubs will have signs that say "no buggies" because of the large amount of mommies that park themselves in there for the day and the strollers take up too much space ;-) other than that - you can go anywhere. (bring a rain cover for the buggy or by one there, BTW!!!!)

you can have a child on yout lap on busses - no problem there.

As for formula...as someone else said, bring PLENTY if you are usuing formula...I had a REALLY rough time when I was in Ireland (unexpectedly) for an extended period of time when my son was that age and could not get the right formula...my parents actually Fed-Exed us Enfamil (!) at great expense becasue my child had reflux and I could not find a formula that worked....the US Embassy actually helped me out and found that I could get low-iron Enfamil at a pharmacy with a prescription...but this was after WEEKS of a screaming baby with a stomach ache! Also...pacifiers and bottle nipples...unless you use Advent, it's hard to find your brand...so bring them along! (everything else...Pampers,etc. can be bought there)
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 09:46 AM
clz

7 month old babies are great to travel with. I don't have specifics on Dublin but I would think you're fine to hold the baby on the bus too. I'd bring a carrier and small stroller too so you have the option for carrying or pushing the baby, depending on what you are doing each day.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the replies. I wouldn't feel too comfortable leaving our son at home, plus I am breastfeeding so it is not really an option. I plan to purchase the Ergo which is supposed to be a great carrier for older babies vs. the bjorn. I am also looking into a light stroller to take. He will be sitting with me on the flight or in the basinette so I am looking to avoid taking the car seat since we will only be on bus/rail anyway.
My only other concern is clothing for him as we will be traveling during April or May so it is still chilly. I would guess layers are best along with some rain gear of some sort.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Definately take a stroller for Ireland...easy to push around and every has babies in strollers all around (as oppossed, say, to Italy, where there are cobble stone streets to deal with) as for clothes....seriously...don't pack TOO heavy...baby clothes there are really cute and wonderful and everytime we're been, my son comes home with a brand new wardrobe!!! (I love even the "cheap" stores' baby clothes, i.e. Dunnes and Pennys )bring layers and buy one of those plastic rain covers for the stroller - they are VERY easy to find and buy in Ireland if you don't see one here.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 05:30 PM

if you bring a baby carrier (ergo or whatever) you could wear your son in the carrier when you sit on the bus. We have done that when we've taken a taxi with our daughter. The car seat is a real pain to take if you aren't renting a car and didn't buy your son a seat on the plane.

We went all over Rome on cobblestones and all with a maclaren stroller. no problems whatsoever and our daughter seemed to like being jostled and would fall asleep on the bumpiest rides. those come with a rain cover but there are certainly fine cheaper strollers out there.

also bring a lot of small toys for the plane because we lost quite a few along the way!
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 07:17 AM

It's up to the parents re: whether they want to deal with the joys (and grat hassles) of traveling with an infant.

But recognize as others have implied: you are traveling because you don't want to deny yourself the ability to travel. Don't let the comfort of a child get in the way.