Reload this Page >

TRAVEL WITH A SENIOR CITIZEN

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 03:03 PM
ED

I AM PLANNING ON TAKING MY 81 YEAR OLD MOTHER TO ROME IN THE FALL OF 2001. SHE IS A STRONG CATHOLIC AND IS FAIRLY ACTIVE. I WANT TO PLAN A STAY OF 7 T0 10 DAYS. I WOULD LIKE TO PLAN A DAILY ACTIVITY THAT WOULD LAST 4 TO 6 HOURS. I DON'T WANT HER TO GET EXHAUSTED AND I AM MORE INTERESTED IN HER HAVING A GOOD TIME AND ENJOYING THE THINGS THAT SHE IS ABLE TO DO. I WOULD LIKE TO SPEND A LEAST 3 OR 4 DAYS AT THE VATICAN AND I WOULD LIKE HER TO SEE THE POPE AGAIN. I WOULD LIKE SOME INPUT AS TO WHAT TO DO THE REST OF THE TIME. DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE MONASTRIES AND CONVENTS THAT OFFER LODGING? MY BUDGET IS FLEXIBLE -- BUT I WOULD LIKE TO GET MY MONEY'S WORTH. <BR>THANKS IN ADVANCE TO THOSE THAT RESPOND <BR>ED <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Maira

Ed, blessed your heart in planning such a special event for your Mom! Try the site http://www.twenj.com for sightseeing ideas and also for great suggestions on how to get (free) tickets to the Pope's General Audience on Wednesdays. You can also try to get a tour out of Rome for a couple of days to Assisi, another beautiful, popular (religious) destination. Try http://www.romeguide.it/greenline/greenline_eng.htm <BR> <BR>Have a great time planning!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Rex

Ed, <BR> <BR>First - - and I am trying to say this as politely as possible - - please learn how to type without ALL CAPS! <BR> <BR>Second - - I have posted an interest similar to yours on more than one occasion (there are some important differences) - - about my plans (maybe) - - and apprehension (for certain) - - regarding taking my 86 year old grandmother to Europe. I would be glad to correspond with you further on this - - and please don't think I would be proposing that we travel together! I think that Rome (or any other "seats" of Catholicism) would NOT fit on an itinerary for her at all (I am not "against" Catholics - - but I am afraid that she IS!) <BR> <BR>I will tell you that I have taken this first step: take a practice (shorter) trip first. I took my grandmother to NYC last fall, and we actually concluded (mutually) that she would not be able to do a trip to Europe - - curiously enough, she is now saying that she thinks she COULD do it! <BR> <BR>I learned that while she does not seem "feeble" - - walking 400 yards - - on perfectly flat level ground - - made her gait wobbly and unsteady as it would for me to have run five miles. I was not prepared for that - - she seemed to not exhibit any "cardiorespiratory" symptoms - - no shortness of breath, sweating etc - - just developed rubbery legs. So, by all means, find out what is your mother's tolerance for simple walking. <BR> <BR>Not that you can't travel with someone whose walking tolerance is poor. I learned about using electric carts in airports, about taking cabs right up to the door of places you choose to go - - and as much as anything, covering short distances with time to sit and rest. <BR> <BR>My grandmother DID enjoy my taking her for a "guided" car tour through Manhattan. I am still debating what would or would not be enjoyable about what destinations in Europe, approached the same way. I love driving in Europe - - but to get from one place to another - - I can hardly think of a place in Europe best seen out the window of a car! <BR> <BR>Maybe this is more about my situation with my grandmother than you and your mother. But we may find more in the way of ideas to exchange than this start of a dialogue. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 05:34 AM
Joyce

You and Rex are both to be commended for your love and consideration of your respective grandmothers. Would all of us grandmothers be so fortunate! And Ed, in the kindest way, I concur wholeheartedly with Rex's advice against typing in full caps. It is so much more difficult to read, and that is why we have upper and lower case. It is considered a huge NO-NO in netiquette. <BR> <BR>Blessings on both of you. <BR> <BR>Joyce <BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 06:12 AM
daughter

Just got back from two weeks in France with my mom and dad. My parents are only in their 60's. They had a MUCH more difficult time traveling than I ever expected. I think 4-6 hour days may be too difficult. My parents could only handle 3 or 4 hours at a time then had to return to the hotel to rest. <BR>The earlier suggestion of a trial trip was a very good one. <BR>Try taking your mother to a local museum or even a shopping center for several hours where she will be required to walk alot and see how she makes out. <BR>Remember, resting seats in Europe will not be placed as conveniently as in a shopping mall. Just the walk from the street to the vatican may be longer than your mom can handle.