Reload this Page >

Oporto Next Year

Search

Oporto Next Year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 11:18 AM
David Lapuz

Oporto Next Year

Oporto is Portugal's second-largest city. Unfortunately, it is often overshadowed by Lisbon. This will hopefully change next year when Oporto will be Europe's Capital of Culture. I enjoyed my stay in Oporto and hope to get back in 2001. <BR> <BR>http://oporto2001.cjb.net

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 11:40 AM
Maira

Hey David! What great news for Oporto, and for Portugal for that matter. I had a chance to visit Oporto in 1998. Quite surprised people were more familiar with the English language than with Spanish (was that on purpose?. Amazing city. We actually stayed at nearby Viana Do Castelo, possibly one of the most charming and relaxing towns I have ever been to.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 09:02 AM
Patrick

We just came from Oporto and Lisbon this week (now in Cadiz). After reviewing comments on my itinerary on this forum, we had changed our original plans of two nights in Oporto to just one. What a mistake! It was our favorite spot in Portugal and we wished we had more time to do the list of things we could have done. This was in spite of the whole city being torn up beyond belief while they ready themselves for the big deal next year. The riverfront area, although very gritty, is one of the most picturesque areas of all of Europe -- just like one would imagine it to be. As to the comment about the language -- I think the Portugese live in total denial that Spain exists. Most tourists try to associate Portugal as just the western part of Spain, and the Portugese really resent that.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:25 PM
Carol

I am VERY interested in the festivities planed for 2001. Please give me the details, or where I could find them. I plan on a 2 wk trip in November. Any suggestions?

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 06:21 AM
joao

Carol <BR> <BR>Try www.porto2001.pt