Travel w/ almost expired US passport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I'm looking for last minute deals to Europe, I just realize that my kids' passports will expire in Oct. I was thinking about France which does not require a visa for US nationals. Will it be OK? I don't want to pay the expedite fees since I don't have everything lined up.

Has anyone here travelled with an almost expired passport?
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 01:15 PM

There have been lots of posts on this before. Some people have trouble and some don't. If you don't want to take the risk, get the passports updated now. I don't think it will take long at all.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 01:26 PM

This is a tough one logistically, because you can't apply for a passport by mail without sending in your current one. So, you couldn't then plan a trip during the time you won't have it. If you intend to go within the next month, I probably wouldn't worry as they wouldn't expire for about three months after the trip. I wouldn't plan for a trip in September, however. I think you'll have to decide when you are going to stop looking for last-minute deals and get them renewed.

I know some people say it has to be valid for six months, but I just traveled to Spain at the end of March, right after the 3/11 train terrorist bombing and in the midst of some continuing problems (including when one of those persons was caught in a Madrid suburb and further bombs) -- and nobody said a single word to me about that in London or in Spain (or in the US on departure or return), even though my passport was due to expire in four months from my trip date. I am not in any way suspicious, however, for what that's worth, and have an uneventful long travel and passport and citizenship history, and wasn't carrying anything unusual, and was traveling alone.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 01:58 PM

I would think that you should be ok, afterall an experiation date is given because thats when it expires, not 6 months beofore, but maybe take your kids s.s. cards or birthcertificiates
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 04:14 PM

One topic thta has been thoroughly discussed in earlier threads is the fact that many European countries require that your passport have 6 months left on it, in order for you to enter the country. Perhaps you'd better find out which ones don't!
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 05:06 PM
jor

I don't know why you are bringing up a Visa. What does that have to do with it?
Anyway I would apply for the passport right away.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 05:13 PM
P_M

I posted a similar question to this regarding travel to Switzerland, and on the advice of a good Fodie, I called the Swiss Consulate. I suggest the same for you. I'm sure you can find a web page for the French Embassy/Consulate in the US, and if the answer isn't found there, give them a call.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 05:22 PM

http://travel.state.gov/france.html

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: A passport is required for entry to France and Monaco. A visa is not required for tourist/business stays up to 90 days in France and Monaco. For further information concerning entry requirements for France, travelers may contact the Embassy of France at 4101 Reservoir Road, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20007, tel. (202) 944-6000, or the French Consulates General in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York, or San Francisco. The web site for the Consular Section of the French Embassy in the United States is: http://www.consulfrance-washington.org.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 04:12 AM
ira

Hi Car,

When I called the French Consulate, they told me that as long as the passport expires at least 90 days after arrival, that it is OK.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 11:28 AM

Sounds like the French consulate is saying that your passport must have at least 90 days validity left before your day of DEPARTING France.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 11:37 AM
ira

Hi xxx,

NO. 90 days from **arrival**. US citizens can enter France for 90 days w/o a visa. They want to be sure that you can leave on a valid passport.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Carcassone; check with the French consulate! I wouldn't travel without having an answer from them. I know the US will not let European visitors in if their passport expires in less than 6 months, but don't know how strict the French are on this.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 01:14 PM

The truth is in the pudding. Is the anxiety worth it?
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 06:45 PM

We were in this position last summer when we realized just three weeks from our departure date that my husband's passport was going to expire 4 or 5 months after returning from Prague. We didn't want to deal with the uncertainty, so renewed using expedited service. At first we were a bit panicked because you have to mail your passport to the postal service, but it worked out fine -- sent it by express mail, paid for expedited service and for express mail return service, and had the renewed passport in one week's time. Just one less thing to be unsure of, especially when scrutiny is heightened.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 07:04 PM

I'm leaving for the UK next week with a passport that runs til next January and that will be fine. But as soon as I get back at the end of the month I'll be renewing. I always renew w/ about 6 months remaining - it just gives me peace of mind. Any website or consulate can tell you "sure, you're OK", but all it takes is one uncoorperative immigration officer to throw that out the window. I would not risk it - renew now.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 07:29 PM

I'm totally with Janis!

Don't chance it..the agents seem to make up their own rules lately!

We just renewed ours, sent checks and papers and had the new ones back in less than 4 weeks..no agents, no expiditers!
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 10:41 PM
ira

A passport story that I hope you will enjoy.

We took my mother to Paris last month.

In March, my sister asked her if her passport was up to date. It had expired more than 10 years ago. She had also torn it in half so that thieves wouldn't profit from it.

The State Department won't renew passports that are torn in half and expired more than 10 years ago. You have to apply for a new one.

My mother is 87. Her birth certificate says "female". There is no one still living who knew her as a child and can certify that she is who she says she is.

After a month of bureaucratic delay, she called her Senators and MC.

Passport was delivered in 10 days, with over a week to go before departure date.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 12:05 AM

Oh, Ira, that was a close one, wasn't it? Glad it turned out fine in the end, but I bet you were sweating that one.

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 06:52 AM

We took our son to Ireland in 2000. His first passport had just expired. We thought we had plenty of time to renew, so did all the paperwork and mailed it 7 weeks prior to our trip. So here it is, Tuesday, and we are leaving on Friday. Our calls to an 800 number at $5 a pop are useless, so the call that we finally make is to our Congressman. The passport was overnighted and the day was saved! Thank you, Mike McNulty!

Ours expire in March 2005. Since our next trip is planned for October, we sent for the renewals last week. No more chances!