travel vault--hot tip

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 10:44 AM
gina

travel vault--hot tip

Hey! Here's something you might want to take the time to do before you go to Europe or anywhere and I am certainly glad I did. Go to www.ekno.lonelyplanet.com and click on travel vault. You can enter your passport numbers, travelers checks numbers, etc. Then, if you lose your documents, you can find a cyberpoint and retrieve your info. If you can't find a cyberpoint then you can call lonely planet and they will read it to you. Everything is password and PIN protected. We needed it on our trip so it was really worth the time. Also, cyberpoints were really easy to find, even in Assisi and Orvieto.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 01:30 PM
Why

Any reason I shouldn't just send myself an e-mail? Then I don't have to disclose a bunch of sensitive information about myself. Really, I'd like to know.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 01:36 PM
sally

Gina: thanks for the info.

To: Why You can send yourself an e-mail or anything you want to; who cares?
But we do care about rude people like you spoiling this forum!! If you don't like what someone posts, why not just ignore it?? Get a life.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 01:42 PM
agree

Why makes a really good point - why are you putting all of that information out there in a forum and system that you don't know anything about (except that they have a really rude and obscene bunch of contributors to their forums) when it's much easier to send an e-mail to yourself and retrieve it from any e-cafe in the world. Wasn't rude, but pointing out a much easier and more secure alternative.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 02:41 PM
Ralph

Anyone who believes their personal e-mail is secure is incorrect.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 03:24 PM
SharonM

Nevertheless, I agree w/ agree and why!!! I did not take Why's comment to be at a ll contrary or rude. Seemed like a plausable idea to me! (I probably would not have thought about emailing myself!) (duh!)
Isn't this what this forum's about? Exchanging ideas???
Gina, thank You for your hot tip!

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 03:52 PM
Why

Gee, whiz. I really meant no offense at all. It was an honest question. You know when I wrote "Really, I'd like to know"? That was because I really wanted to know. I am not a techie, so I was wondering if there were legit reasons to use a vault.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:28 PM
sally

Why: Oooppps, my bad!!! Sorry to have offended you; thought you were being critical. My humble apologies.
S.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:58 PM
joan

WOW, you guys sure have your chips balanced on your shoulders...is it hot where you are...is that what is making you so cranky.
Why wouldn't you just make a copy of all of your impt. numbers and stick it a different pocket of your secure bag?

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 07:07 PM
Why

No problem, Sally. I appreciate your gracious reply.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 07:17 PM
Pdv

I think both are good ideas!

Thanks!
Patricia

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:11 AM
topper

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 04:23 PM
Bob

Another way to keep all this info: I put it all in my palm pilot and then secure it with a password. If I lose the real document I have the info in my Palm Pilot to retrieve. I also put all my reservation info and confirmation numbers in the palm. Beats carrying the papers.

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 04:06 AM
topper