Travel to Rome and Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My husband and I and two friends are starting to look into planning a trip to Venice and Rome. We want to fly into one and take a train to the other. Can anyone recommend a travel agency online that I can look at to get a price estimate? Thanks
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:16 AM

www.trenitalia.com

At the moment, a fast Eurostar (ES) train that travels in about 4 1/2 hours from Rome to Venice (or vice-versa) costs 44.93 Euro in second class and 67.14 Euro in first class, including the mandatory seat reservation.

Trenitalia has announced that it will be raising its prices at the beginning of 2007.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:17 AM

As the price will be about the same at the station and the trenitalia site is so frustrating, try it but if can't work it just buy your train tickets at the airport train station in Rome's airport - you'll get the needed reservations of seats along with the ticket. And with up to two trains an hour between Rome and Florence don't worry about availability.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:18 AM

Joelst: Are you talking about a travel agency for the whole trip or just for the train portion?

There are travel package websites like Go-Today.com
Gate1Travel.com.
They put together air/hotel/train, etc or any combination of those. When I've looked at them, I've usually felt the hotel choices weren't that great. And there's almost always a big add-on if you're not flying out of the New York area.

Most of the posters here prefer to do our own research and planning. It provides for more flexibility and usually better value for hotel $$$. We also know all the research pays off in better knowledge of the destination once we arrive.

Flying into Venice, train to Rome, flying out of Rome would be quite simple to plan.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:35 AM
ira

>Flying into Venice, train to Rome, flying out of Rome would be quite simple to plan. <

Ditto.

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I will start searching the net!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:45 AM

You're welcome.

<i>I will start searching the net!</i>

You're already in the right place! Go to your library, get some guidebooks on Venice, Rome and Italy to get some ideas on what you want to see. (Warning: you'll start adding stops after reading these!).

I listed Venice first because flying <i>out</i> of Venice usually means extremely early flight times. In the search window above, enter &quot;Venice and hotels&quot; and the same for Rome. It takes a little wading through, but you won't believe the wealth of information you'll come up with. After you know where you're staying, you can do the same search substituting &quot;restaurants&quot; for &quot;hotels&quot;.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:22 AM

Hello,
Planning this trip on your own is very easy and will save you a ton of money. If you can go in the off season you will save on airfare as well as hotels. Check with the big booking sites like expedia, travelocity, etc and then check with the individual airlines. You could save hundreds of dollars this way. Also, on those big booking sites, make sure you check how much the &quot;taxes and fees&quot; are. I found a really great rate but by the time they added on all of their &quot;fees&quot; it was almost double. If you can fly into Venice and fly out of Rome you can save some time on the train.
Sites like this, virtualtourist.com and venere.com are great sites for travel info as well as hotel choices. You can get nice hotels in Rome for 100-150 euros a night.
Trenitalia.com is where to check on the train ticketss. You might want to consider riding in first class on the trip between Venice and Rome. It's a 4.5 hour trip. The extra room will be most welcomed.
As for anything else, these two cities are great and exploring them is easy. As suggested earlier, go to the bookstore and buy a good guidebook or two. Watch the travel channel. They always have shows on Rome and Venice. The history channel also has shows on Rome and Venice and will give you a lot of the history for both. These two cities are great for walking in and getting around is easy. You won't have to spend a ton on a rental car or cabs. Just walk to where you need to go.
You can easily plan this whole trip yourself. Do the research and have a good time.

Donna
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Is there another train website I can look at? I can't read this website because it's in Italian.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:34 AM

&quot;Hit&quot; the English tab in the upper right corner of the home page for the English version.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 12:27 PM

This past October we flew into Venice and flew out of Rome. When we return in October 2008 we plan to do it the same way.We took the Eurostar first class from Venice to Florence and from Florence to Rome.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 12:26 PM

We just got back yesterday. Flew into Venice and home from Rome. We included Florence in our stay, and took the train between cities. I chose Delta for the price and the flight times. We got into Venice early enough to do plenty of sightseeing the first day. The trip home was on Air France (partner of Delta) and was nicer than flying Delta--more and better food, more wine, and free movies. Great trip!