Search

travel to italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travel to italy

My hushand and I are planning a fall (2004) trip to Italy. We are planning to stay 4 to 6 weeks. Would we be better off renting a car, taking trains between cities or a combination of both? What are places (even out of way)that we should not miss? Do we need to buy tix for special events, shows etc in advance. Thanks, Gail
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 11:37 AM
rex

This (set of) question(s) could easily merit a 5000 word answer - - so you are going to want/need to provide more of a skeleton of your plans. It sounds like this is your first trip to Italy, and if you were my sister and her husband (haven't been either), I would never recommend a trip that long. I'd say put 40% of the money in the bank, and you'll be pleased at how your second trip will be different as a result of all you learn this first trip.

Of course, even if you cut to 15-20 days, this has the makings of a very substantial trip - - and your questions can have some tentative answers.

Yes, I would vote for a combination of car and train. For 15 days or less, 3-7 days of car. For 15-25 days, 5-10 days car; for 25 or more, look into a lease (17 days minimum, usually).

Places you should not miss? Even 5000 words is too few. Surely you know that you need to include two or three of the major cities (Rome, Venice, Florence, Naples, Milan) - - and 20-40% of your time in such places as

Tuscany - - the hill towns and/or the Chianti

south of Tuscany - - Assisi, Orvieto, Rieti

Campania and the islands, includig the Amalfi coast, Pompeii, Sorrento and more

Sicily

the Cinque terre and/or the Italian Riviera

the Piemonte

one or more of the three major lakes: Como, Garda, Maggiore

the Veneto and north, which could be worth two weeks in their own right.

and so much more - - Bergamo, Verona, Puglia, Sardinia - - this list is silly in singling out these and not mentioning hundreds more.

I'l barely even touch on "the advance" question - - the Uffizi and the Accademia, yes; Opera in Verona, yes (already too late?) - - but for many, many other things - no, not necessary.

Now give us 250 words back to give a vague indication of what you really have in mind - - and let the re-shaping begin.

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Hi Gail,

Absolutely do the 6 weeks. My first trip to Europe was 3 weeks and I knew nothing about traveling! It was my first grown up vacation. The weeks flew by.

You'll need a car to see the small towns. A car/train combination will be determined by your itinerary. For instance, if your city time is limited then get a leased car for the entire time and park it in the cities. It's cheaper to rent/lease a car for longer than shorter times.

My advice is to get a few guide books from the library and start reading and taking notes. If that were my trip I'd start in northern Italy (Lakes), and work south and include Venice, Bologna, Verona, Cinque Terre, Florence, Tuscany, Rome, Amalfi Coast, Paestum, Pompeii, Capri and lots of small towns in between.

I love pottery and frescoes so I'd be sure to stop in towns known for these two items. That would be the focus of my itinerary.

I realize this may be a daunting prospect but take things in small doses. Divide up the planning work (you take the north and he takes the south). Your itinerary will take shape in no time.

Then start searching on this board for Italy info. There's tons. When you have something concete come back and post your itinerary for critiqueing.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 01:27 PM
ira

Hi gail,

You have to give us more information about your interests and your itinerary.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 07:42 PM
rex

to the top, for gailkb
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:19 AM
ira

one more t for gail
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Rex's advice is not that bad. Six weeks Italy, and you won't be able to tell if you saw this or that in this town or in the other town, "what was the name again of that palazzo on the corner of the market square, honey?"
Also, 6 weeks on heavenly food can be too much!
You could organise 2 trips, twice the pleasure of going, with twice the preparation excitement!
You could do a north part trip and a south part trip.
Or you could do a "train" trip (Rome, Venice, Florence, Naples) and a "car" trip (inner tuscany and umbria, veneto, piemonte).
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:43 AM

I would love 6 weeks--it is all a matter of good preparation. Yes, you will want car for at least half of the trip--excluding your time in the major cities. Find the long and detailed post on this site named HELPFUL INFORMATION:ITALY as a start. Then, go to slowtrav.com and find more info under their planning section. That will take you several hours to digest. Then, come back here to refine your itinerary.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 11:09 AM
rex

We still don't know if gailkb has ever set foot in Italy before. Would six weeks really be your recommendation for a first-timer, bob?
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:15 PM

If you rent a car for more than 17 days, you should consider a buy/sell deal offered by Peugeot (and AutoEurope) and Renault. However, pick up and drop off in Italy is quite high. Renault give you the prices right on the web site (www.renaultusa.com), while Peugeot (www.auto-france.com) will only e-mail you the total price and Autoeurope will give you a price that does not include the foreign pick up and drop off. Renault gave the lowest total price, but AutoEurope matched it over the telephone. Of course, you have to consider that whenever you are in a large or medium size city, the car is useless and you are paying for the lease and more likely than not parking. Such cities would include Venice, Florence, Rome, Siena and Perugia. On the other hand, the price you get for the lease includes everything, with no deductible on the insurance.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Good point--I was assuming prior Europe travel. But I am sure Gail knows her limitations.