Search

Travel Tips: Ireland & Scotland

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Tips: Ireland & Scotland

Hi Everyone,

I am in the midst of planning a trip to Ireland & Scotland this June/July for 2-3 weeks. I am from Canada and will be flying into Dublin, Ireland. I will be traveling alone.

I plan on breaking the trip up in half (1.5 weeks in Ireland, 1.5 in Scotland). However, if you suggest I should stay longer in either country, I am open to change my itinerary.

If anyone could provide me with names of hostels or B&B's that are affordable and clean, in either country, I would really appreciate it. I'm on a strict budget, so I'm looking to spend $30/night (maximum) or less on accommodations.

Some of my interests include: photography, art, history, museums, etc.

I understand I don't have a whole lot of time to really explore either country from top to bottom, but I want to try and see as many places possible!

Some places that have peaked my interest are: (Ireland): Dublin, Belfast, Giant's Causeway, Londonderry, Galway, Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher, Limerick, Killarney, Blarney, Cork and Kilkenny. (Scotland): Glasgow, Edinburgh, Perth, Inverness, Stirling, Dundee, Loch Ness and Isle of Skye.

If you suggest I should skip something, please don't hesitate to speak up!

I plan on taking the train everywhere (if possible). Should I purchase a BritRail + Ireland pass? Or what other options do I have in regards to train travel? Also, to take the ferry from Ireland to Scotland, where can I purchase tickets? Should I purchase that in advance?

I've read about sightseeing passes - would this be worth it? (Dublin Pass, etc) I plan on doing the Hop-On-Hop-Off tour in Dublin.

I'm a vegan, so any suggestions for restaurants or stores would be wonderful!

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!
Old May 14th, 2011, 04:37 PM

http://www.hostelworld.com/search?se...ity=Edinburgh&

We are staying at snoozles in Galway in Sept. Dublin has some really good hostels.
We are doing bus and trains next trip and there are rt tickets for 25 euro from Dublin to Galway. Gobus. Google day trips from Edinburgh and Galway, you will have a great list. Timbush is good in Edinburgh. The Sterling is really high so you will get a little more for your dollar in Ireland with the euro. we are only doing a few days in Scotland. Taking Aer Lingus out of Dublin. Ryan Air is cheaper but they sort of scare us...Trains go to Cork and you would love it there. It is one of my favs. Try and go to Doolin, will need to take a bus but they have great hostels and pubs. You will enjoy it there. You can get a bus from Galway easy. Vegan, you will be ok, lots of places cater to vegans.
Old May 14th, 2011, 04:39 PM

http://vegans.frommars.org/ireland/
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:07 AM

Go to Cork you wont regret it - nice place, nice people. I lived there for a while. Make sure you take a day trip out to Kinsale (be aware it is very touristy and the cafe's can be expensive so pack a lunch and sit on the water front). A normal cheap bus leaves from the central bus station for Kinsale, and another to Cobh regularly every day. Go for a walk to the 17th century fort in Kinsale. Visit the English market in Cork - an experience - wonderful food and coffee in Cork.

Go to Glasgow - it's gritty not pretty but lots of fun and so many interesting things to go see. In fact I think I would choose Glasgow over Edinburgh if I had only one place to go. Very Arty and crafty. Enjoyed the GOMA, and the Kelvin Grove Gallery. But check out Glasgow Life (http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/arts/Pages/home.aspx) to see if anything interests you.

Edinburgh does have very, very good coffee - there is a mecca for coffee lovers - run by a kiwi, very all about the coffee - best coffee I have had in the UK. Artisan Roast (http://www.qype.co.uk/place/73785-Ar...oast-Edinburgh) The Uk doesnt really do good coffee, but Edinburgh does!

Fly Ryan Air - it's relatively cheap - cheaper than Aer Lingus. Just remember it's a bus in the sky - don't expect anything you wouldn't for a bus journey and you wont be disappointed. Rail tickets - if you know where you want to go it should be easier just to book the tickets in advance (in the UK) from the National Rail Uk website. Pay for it by credit card and just pick the tickets up from the station.

Don't forget to buy a return (which may sound stupid but bare with me) - in the UK it is often cheaper to buy a return ticket than a single trip ticket - buy the return ticket even if you dont want it and throw it away. You will save money. The journey from Glasgow to Edinburgh takes around 50 minutes depending on time of the year - and you may have to stand for the entire trip depending on the time of the day. It sucks (I have done it - jammed packed like sardines - wasnt fun), but that's just part of the joy of travel.

Oh and if you get to a supermarket go to the frozen section and try some Quorn products - yummy!!

If you want more information have a look at my blog http://travelbritainonabudget.com
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:00 AM

I assume that Travel_Britain is talking about crowded TRAINs from Glesgie to Edinburgh. There are also buses that terminate only a few blocks from the railroad station, and they have not been too crowded in my experience.
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:14 AM

Just remember that chips in Scotland (and usually in Ireland) aren't vegan. Nor is the Scottish national dish of deep-fried Mars bar. Tallow is a crucial ingredient in fat for deep-frying.

I've never found anywhere in Ireland catering for vegans, though that might be because I've not looked hard enough. In both countries, animal products wriggle their way into an astonishing proportion of mass-market food that doesn't strike most of us as animal-derived till we look.

I've also never been on a crowded train between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Just about all commuter trains in Britain are sardine cans during the morning and evening rush hours: virtually none are the rest of the day unless there's something special on: a Glasgow team playing an Edinburgh rival, for example.
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great tips, everyone. Will definitely add Cork, Doolin, Kinsale, and Cobh to my "must-see" list.

flpad: Thanks for the hostel link. Will check out Snoozles.

Travel_Britain: Thanks! I love coffee, so I will check out Artisan Roast while in Edinburgh. I'm not too keen on the idea of flying, but will keep those airlines in mind in case I change my mind. So, once I settle on an itinerary, I should book my tickets in advance through that website?

flanneruk: Thanks for the tip! I've done some research and found a few restaurants and supermarkets that I'm going to check out.

Would you say it's fairly easy to find transportation (whether it be by bus or train) in most cities? Specifically for day trips or to tour around each city. Also, where should I take the ferry to cross-over from Ireland to Scotland and back?
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:46 AM

I've also never been on a crowded train between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Sundays during August are usually hellishly full....standing sardines! But most of the time it's pretty good.

Go to Glasgow - it's gritty not pretty

Actually there's some stunning Victorian architeture
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:47 AM

Edinburgh does have very, very good coffee - there is a mecca for coffee lovers - run by a kiwi, very all about the coffee - best coffee I have had in the UK. Artisan Roast

One in Glasgow too....with bad jokes against Aussies