Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel time Copenhagen to Southern Netherlands (by train)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to see my daughter in the Netherlands at the end of Sept. and I've been planning to fly into Brussels and then take the train to Heerlen, which is fairly close to her. I tried putting in other cities too and got a good rate for flying into Copenhagen. I hear it's a fun place and a great 'walking' city, but I wonder how long it would take to travel from there to SE the Netherlands. Anyone have any idea? If it's too much, I'll go back to flying into Brussels.

TIA

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 08:56 PM

From Brussels we took an overnight train. My recollection is that it took about nine or ten hours.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:24 AM

Use www.bahn.de.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael, that helps!

Thanks Geoff, but there are only parts of that site that are translated into English from what I can see, and seeing that's all I speak, with a smattering of Indonesian which is no help at all, I guess I'm not clever enough to figure it out!. <G>
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 05:50 AM

I live 2 hrs south of Frankfurt and by car it would be an all day affair. The roads are uncongested in Denmark in September of 2004 when I was there. If you take the train you will be at least 8-10 hours and spend about 300-400 euros. The Hotels are decent and Domino's pizza delivers to you, there are 7-11's on almost every corner. I stayed on the boarder at a friends house before I drove 8 hrs. to Coppenhagen but it is still not too cold in Sept. I'm thinking Oslo, Norway in October for the weekend.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:10 AM

By train from København to Heerlen, the journey time is about 11 hours and 20 minutes, changing at Hamburg, Duisburg and Herzogenrath.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Tanker- I'd hardly be going to Copenhagen for 7-11's and Dominos!

Geoff, thanks, that pretty much makes it not such a great idea. I guess I'll have to save Copenhagen for another trip. Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:20 AM

If you really want to see Copenhagen (for all the reasons you listed), you could always catch a cheap flight from Brussels on Virgin Express or from Amsterdam with Sterling. Would take less time and cost less than taking the train/ferry.
www.whichbudget.com
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Would you consider training to Amsterdam and taking a budget flight from there?

www.sterling.dk

or perhaps better yet...flying on Virgin Expres from Brussels to Copenhagen

www.skyscanner.net
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, but I'm primarily going to the Netherlands to meet my yet to be born grandson. I just figured I'd fly in someplace other than Amsterdam (Which I've seen already) and spend a day and night and then head to the kids. So I'm back to Brussels or maybe flying into Amsterdam, going to another city like Delft or Haarlem and spending the night and then going on from there.

I'll make it to Copenhagen eventually. Hopefully I'll have more time the next time!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 09:57 AM

rapunzll - repuda de beauta:
www.bahn.de is great for schedules in all of Europe - you just put Heerlen in the departure box and Copenhagen H in the arrival box and you'll get all the connections for your date.
Now an easy way to get to the idiot proof English schedule page: go to the home page of www.budgeteuropetravel.com and click on the link All european railway schedules near the bottom and then up pops the English schedule page which you obviously didn't reach - everything is in English - the home page i referenced also gives several tips on how to use the bahn site's other features.
You would be best off to book the night train on the bahn site for best fares rather than in the US.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks PalQ, I'll check it out!