Travel suggestions-Ennis area, home base

Oct 9th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Travel suggestions-Ennis area, home base

Hello! I will be in in Ireland April 21-29th. The main purpose of this trip is to attend my cousin's wedding on the 28th. I will be traveling with my mother, sister, brother-in-law and their 2 kids ages 8 and 11.

We are staying near the town of Ennis the entire time. Therefore, I need to know what places would make good day trips for the time that we are there. We will have a car rental. Any help and information you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Oct 9th, 2006, 09:12 PM

You should be able to put together a variety of activities, including perhaps some walking or cycling if the kids will enjoy that. Ennis is within day trip distance of the Burren National Park and towns like Lisdoonvarna and Ballyvaughan, as well as the Cliffs of Moher. We really loved that area when we were there. There are scenic drives to the west, along the coast, and to the east, along Loch Derg. For a more touristy excursion you can go to Bunratty Castle. It has been several years since we were there but I enjoyed the tour very much. They also do a medieval banquet, I think. Have fun planning!
Oct 10th, 2006, 03:18 PM
CU

www.shannonregiontourism.ie will give you a lot of information about the region and places to visit.
Oct 11th, 2006, 02:54 AM

Add Lahinch and Doolin to the places Barbara mentioned. From Doolin you can take a ferry to the Aran Islands for a daytrip.
Other daytrips could be to Dromoland Castle (also in Co. Clare) or up to Galway City. You could do Cong, where the 'Quiet Man' movie w/Maureen O'Hara, John Wayne & Victor McLaughlin was filmed.
Parts of Connemara would also be within daytrip range. Croagh Patrick (SW County Mayo) might also be in that ballpark.
Oct 13th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Or, if you want to go to Kerry, you could drive to Killimer and catch the ferry across the Shannon estuary to Tarbert, then continue to Tralee or wherever: the ferry eliminates having to drive thru Limerick if you're heading to the Dingle Peninsula.
Oct 14th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your advice! The suggested website has been especially helpful.

Is the Cork area and Killarney a "day trip" from Ennis? There appears to be a few neat things to see down there like the Mucross House and Torc Waterfall.

We have already determined that we will see the Cliffs of Moher, Burren, and Bunratty Folk Park and Castle. The wedding that we will be attending at the end of the week is being held at Dromoland Castle, so we will have that covered as well! What else do you feel are "Must See"s? Are there other castles that are worth touring? Do they do whale watching trips out of Shannon in April? My niece and nephew would really enjoy that.

How rough is the ferry ride to the Aran Islands from Doolin? I personally love the water, but I will be with 2 adult, non-swimmers and an 8 and 10 year old. Is the trip out there worthwhile?

I have been doing a bit of research on the Connemara area. I hear that it is very beautiful and scenic. However, I worry that the 2 children might not be to agreeable to that. Does anyone know of places to visit while in that area?

Thanks again!!!
Oct 15th, 2006, 04:17 AM

"Is the Cork area and Killarney a "day trip" from Ennis? "
I woudn't consider it as such although, in Summer BusEireann operates tours from Cork City to west Clare. Lacking experience driving on the left and navigating roundabouts, I think that might be 'pushing it.'

Oct 15th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Dear meece,

another suggestion for the Ennis area is the Ailwee Cave. Good stories go with the walk through the cave (about a mile) I went once with an 80 year old with cane who did the walk without complaint. Nice little retaurant and gift shop the last time I was there.

About the trip from Doolin to the Aran I. It is a fairly small boat and they do not go if the weather is iffy. In April may be chancy. We enjoyed it in summer. If the tide is out, the boat cannot come up to the pier so you get ferried out on a little motor boat and it involves a climb up a ladder over the side. Again the 80 year old did it.

She was a sport and never complained the whole trip, but I know that many days she was exhausted by the end of the day.

Cashel is doable from Ennis. Great castle and good video to tell you about the history.

Have a great trip! Enjoy the gorse which will be at full bloom then!
Oct 15th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

That's encouraging to know that an 80 year old made the trip out to the Aran Islands. I may just have to persuade the others to give it a try!

Thanks for helping me be realistic about a day trip to the Killarney area. I certainly don't want to over-extend our days.
Oct 20th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Actually, some of the ferry companies from Doolin don't even start service until May. If you want to go to the Aran islands, you could consider driving to Inverin 2-2.5 hours from Ennis at most and flying over. With as many people as you have, you may be able to arrange to have a flight for yourself and at a discount rate. Groups of 4 or more get a reduction to E40 RT and the plane only holds nine passengers. The flight takes 10 minutes. You may be able to pick your flight time. We did a couple of years ago when we had nine passengers. It was pretty cool.

Bill

Search this Thread