Paris- Breakfast in America

Oct 16th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Paris- Breakfast in America

Has anyone eaten here- "Breakfast in America" 17 rue des Ecoles in the 5th Arrondissement?
We like to have big breakfasts and I'm hearing that the french are not big on breakfasts.
Oct 16th, 2006, 10:03 AM

The French are generally big on breakfasts, just not big on big breakfasts.

The cuisine at "Breakfast in America" is on a par with the worst greasy-spoon diner you've ever eaten at by mistake.
Oct 16th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

I'm not getting your point here?
Oct 16th, 2006, 10:41 AM

I was dragged to Breakfast in America once. It would now take wild horses to do so.
Oct 16th, 2006, 10:43 AM

I guess his point is that the food isn't very good, but I don't know as I am not big on breakfast, either. However, I would not say that the French are big on breakfast, just not big ones, as Robespierre does. I don't think they are big on breakfast at all, but I think your point is that you are looking for some typical American breakfast food (bacon, eggs, whatever), not just a big breakfast. YOu can always eat more bread and butter (or croissants)if you just want a big breakfast. Eat 2-3 croissants and that should be your fat and calorie content for about half a day probably.
Oct 16th, 2006, 10:44 AM

I think the point is - that its bad.
Oct 16th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Just about any café will be happy to cook you some eggs. After all, Paris is the #1 tourist destination in the world, and they do know a few things about foreign tastes.
Oct 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM
ira

Hi Bill,

A typical European breakfast is a roll or croissant or a sweet roll and a cuppa.

Just ewhat are you seeking in the way of bkfst?

Oct 16th, 2006, 11:22 AM

We had burgers at the Moosehead around 1:30 pm I believe. The French seated nearby were ordering the brunch menu (e.g. toast, o.j., eggs, etc.). So eggs and such are popular with the locals, however, not on an everyday basis.
Oct 16th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Some cafes offer omelets... or your hotel may have additional menu items for breakfast..mine serves breads, jam, etc. but offers eggs, cereal or such for a small extra charge (haven't ever ordered anything extra, though).

An alternative is to supplement your hotel or cafe breakfasts with items from the grocery store (cereal, milk, yogurt, fruit...)
Oct 16th, 2006, 12:10 PM

This restaurant was close to our hotel and was very popular. If you want a big American breakfast, then go for it - and to it!

Do try the typical French breakfast - but to be honest, I needed more protein and fewer carbs.

Breakfast in America looks like your typical American diner. Go there for a burger or milkshake fix too!
Oct 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Yes, we have eaten there. I personally liked it because I could get cereal and wheat toast. It is very difficult to get a healthy breakfast in Paris - you generally get either a croissant, omelet, quiche or an "American Breakfast" of bacon and eggs. I agree Breakfast in America is not great cuisine but will allow to have a healthy meal. If all you are looking for is a big american breakfast many cafes in Paris serve them and I am sure the quality will be superior to Breakfast in America.
Oct 19th, 2006, 10:17 AM

I went there with my wife in July and it was awful, disgusting food. The omlettess were made from powdered eggs, the ham was diced in perfect cubes with no taste and the cheese was the stuff you buy wrapped in plastic. Also had a slice of cheesecake, and it was one of those frozen types they didn't quite finish de-frosting, with a bit of runny raspberry cordial stuff dribbled on top. Big disappointment.

Horrible coffee too. Best thing to do is just go to a local brasserie and order an omlette made from real eggs and quality ham and cheese.
Oct 19th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Best thing to do is adapt to the French style of eating. I think of that as part of the experience. Like taking a siesta in Spain when it's hot in the afternoon.

If, on your trip, you are totally able to reproduce your life in the US, you will have spent a lot of money with no point.

Oh, and throw in a couple Clif bars for intermediary sustenance.
Oct 19th, 2006, 10:50 AM

While I'm all for "living like the locals" those of us who are diabetic or have other health issues, can't survive on a croissant, a baguette, and orange juice for breakfast.
Oct 19th, 2006, 11:30 AM

This place sounds disgusting. I don't agree with BOulder that cereal is so much healthier than omelets or that omelets are unhealthy. I don't see why this is so difficult to go into a cafe and order an omelet, if you want some protein. Fruit will often be available, also. I don't eat breakfast so haven't tested this idea, but won't cafes serve omelets in the morning?

I don't think that dining out in cafes is the typical French style of eating, it's just what you do when you dine out. They do eat simpler things and cereal at home for breakfast, just don't go out for it that much. I wouldn't go out and order cereal to eat in a restaurant where I live, either.

I think a lot of people just eat too much, anyway. People are chowing down with tons of food for breakfast and then do the same thing a few hours later for lunch, even when they aren't working on the farm any more.
Oct 19th, 2006, 12:09 PM

As I said earlier, most cafés will indeed be happy to cook an omelette in the morning. Paris did not get to be the #1 tourist city in the world by chasing away all foreign requests. And in any case, a brunch craze that started about 7-8 years ago in France has brought a lot of the anglo-saxon items to the French breakfast table, at least on special occasions.
Oct 19th, 2006, 05:39 PM

I don't necessarily need eggs, bacon toast and hash browns for breakfast but I like to have some protein. I've had great french breakfasts in my hotel that consisted of the basic croissants, baguettes etc. but also included fresh meats, cheeses & the creamiest yogurt I've ever had. My husband and I looked forward to breakfast every morning. And we ate alot! We would fill ourselves up but then we didn't eat a meal again until dinner. Maybe a snack or crepe (yummy) but that was it. I think a big breakfast with some protein is a wonderful idea in Paris. We don't eat like that at home but we live in LA and never walk anywhere. In Paris, I figure we have walked off that big breakfast just in time for dinner
Oct 19th, 2006, 05:48 PM

As Neo said, some people do need certain foods to stay healthy, diabetics being one. My stepson has diabeties and he has to have certain foods for breakfast and also at other meals regardless of where he is.
Oct 20th, 2006, 02:12 AM

I too have Type II diabetes and need that morning protein and fiber. When we don't rent an apartment in France or Italy, we try to stay in business hotels where they usually have what I think of as "German" breakfasts -- meat, cheese, boiled eggs,and so forth as well as bread, croissants, and the like.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO