Travel safety

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel safety

I've been told by more experienced travelers that I would be foolish to rent a convertible while traveling in Southern Spain -- that it would single us out as tourists and make us a target for thieves. Is this a valid concern?
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:15 PM

Well, I'm not sure if it would single you out as tourists - but it would be obvious it is a rented car - and is likely to attract extra attention since convertibles are very rare there. When are you going? Are you sure weather is going to be appropriate for you to drive with the top down?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks NYTraveler. Actually, it should be very HOT! We are traveling to Almeria and then on to Gibraltar and Malaga first two weeks of July. That wasn't our first choice, but the only time my husband can get away. It's our 25th wedding anniversary and I was trying to "kick it up a notch!"
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:36 AM

Iplezia:

Try looking at it another way.

I drive a car that screams "tourist" in continental Europe. It carries a foreign registration plate and has the steering wheel in the wrong place. And, touch wood, I've never, in decades of driving round the Continent, had my car broken into.

Why? because I never leave anything visible - especially not the radio - in the car when I'm not in it. I park the car where there's lots of people - preferably somewhere well-lit at night.

The issue isn't about whether tourists are specially targetted: people desperate for money will steal anything from anyone (Mrs F dated a Sicilian lawyer before she met me. The bad guys were mad enough to break into his car - in Sicily. They didn't repeat that mistake).

The issue is taking the proper precautions. Mrs' F's former chum arrogantly thought he was immune from attack. No-one is.

Convertible or tank, they'll steal from you if you let them. And won't if you don't
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:31 AM

My suggestion on the convertible is that if you can remove the radio (on some you can) and lock the trunk seperately, just leave the thing open.

My uncle drove one in NYC and that is what he did.

I drive one now and have never had any problem, but have not rented one in Europe since they seem to cost an arm and a leg there!