Search

Travel Plans...please advise

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Plans...please advise

Hello,
I'm heading to Italy for the first time. My friend is going w/ me-her 3rd time. I've read these posts and it seems there are a lot of people on here that know Italy well. I thought I'd post our tentative travel plans and get some advice.

We arrive Oct 16 into Nice. From there, 2 days in the Cinque Terre (what town is best to stay in?), 2 days in Florence, 2 days in Rome (heard the Beehive Hostel was nice...hotel-like), 2 days on the Amalfi Coast (plan to stay in Sorrento and day-trip to Pompeii/Capri). From Sorrento, we'll head back to Nice allowing ourselves 2 days to get back and hopefully spend the end of our trip in Nice (will that be enough time, travelling by train?).
Any advice (hotels, travel, restaurants) on these plans is greatly appreciated! We plan on travelling by train the whole trip and buying our tickets as we go. Is renting a car a better way to travel? Also, I was wondering if anyone's been to these areas in mid-October, what kind of clothes to pack. Travel guides say 70s...long-sleeves, short-sleeves,???
Thanks! Sky
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 05:57 PM

skymcc... I suggest that you try your message again under a more descriptive subject ie... "First time to Rome, Florence or Cinque Terre." Or something around that theme. This lets folk know where you are headed and that you need basic info. Hope you get scads of responses. Have a grand time!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:42 PM

If you do end up traveling by train, make sure to pack light! Check out all the other threads here about packing for tips on how to do it best. Also, do a search here on rail passes to find out which rail option is best for you (point to point tickets vs. a rail pass). In my experience, point to point usually works out to give the best value, but you are moving around quite a bit!
Enjoy your trip....
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 04:54 AM

I'll address only one of your questions, that having to do with whether it's better to travel by car.

I strongly favor going by car.

How else to go at your own pace and not be at the mercy of train schedules and stations, etc? How else to see the countryside and the small towns? How else to be able to stop at a scenic spot for a picnic? How else to be able to make last-minute adjustments to the itinerary? How else to be free of schlepping luggage here and there?

To me it's a no-brainer!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 05:17 AM

Yes, as the previous writer said....get a car. Just stay out of the left hand lane on the autostrada unless you are doing 130kph or more...and watch your rear view mirror
Also, the toll booths on the autostrada take visa cards...nice
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 05:21 AM
ira

Hi,

Is there a reason for doing RT to Nice?

You seem to be planning a two week trip. My feeling is that you are going to too many places - perhaps because your friend has all ready been to Italy and wants to see something new.

I suggest basing yourself for a week in Rome and another week in Florence with daytrips to Cinque Terre, Orvieto and Pompeii from Rome and day trips to Siena and Lucca/Pisa from Florence.

Whatever you do, have a great trip.