Reload this Page >

Travel Inns in the U.K.

Search

Travel Inns in the U.K.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Tom

Travel Inns in the U.K.

My wife and I are planning our first trip to the UK in May and I am wondering how other travelers have found the Travel Inn chain? It seems reasonable, but are the rooms nice and clean? Is it a good chain to use throughout the UK? And excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a double? Is it a full sized bed? Thanks in advance.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Terry

My only experience with Travel Inns in the UK is the County Hall Travel Inn in London. They are clean, but quite basic. Don't expect facial tissue, must have a phone card to use the phone, etc. The three different rooms I have had, all had queen size beds.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Lori

Tom,<BR>In most cases a double means a double sized bed, i.e. not a king, not a queen, just a standard double size. If you are not used to one of them or know you will be uncomfortable, I'd ask for twin beds and specify &quot;2 beds&quot; when making the reservation to clarify it and to be sure you get what you want. That is what I always do.<BR><BR>From the looks of their info Travel Inns are sort of like Super8 here in the U.S. - nothing fancy, just a room and bathroom. Not a lot of character but if the price is right .... <BR><BR>You might check out Best Western's International hotels, we've stayed in a couple in the UK and were satisified. BW hotels are individual hotels, they use the BW marketing organization so you can book on-line or via toll free number. Nice thing with them is that you do not need to make deposits. They have a lot more character then a Travel Inn too.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:20 AM
janis

Travel Inns are fine - but probably not the best choices for a first time traveler to the UK. They are primarily Motorway (freeway) and airport motel-type modern properties. In the UK you can stay in wonderful, charming B&amp;Bs in every town and village with included FULL cooked breakfasts for the same amount or likely less than a travel inn. A B&amp;B or small hotel could be in a 16th century bldg, a Victorian villa, a 1930's Art Deco masterpiece or an apartment above a medieval bldg in York or Edinburgh. Travel Inns are like a Motel 6 but better designed. <BR><BR>Two major exceptions are 1) if you want to stay at an airport the last night before a morning flight (airport Travel Inns are terrific bargains) and 2) the County Hall Travel Inn in London. It is one of the best located budget hotels in London.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Karen

Janis, as usual, has provided you with great info. Use B&amp;Bs outside of London. <BR><BR>A great place to look for them is at www.smoothhound.co.uk, which lets you search for hotels and B&amp;Bs by town, and then you can sort by price - it gives you pictures, descriptions, locations, prices etc. You even get a discount at some of them for booking through the website.<BR><BR>Good luck and happy travels!<BR><BR>Karen

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Tom

We used Travel Inn a couple of times in our Britain trip when we wanted a simple, quick overnight stop after a long drive (in the to/from Scotland legs). I thought they were fine for the purpose, about like a Holiday Inn Express. The little directory book let us quickly and easily find a hotel in unfamiliar territory.<BR><BR>We mostly used B&amp;Bs, usually found by wandering down a likely looking country road until we saw the little roadside pointer, once or twice by going to the local tourist center (which will add a bit to the cost for their service, but will have a directory of local places and check vacancy for you). <BR><BR>If you want to relax and enjoy the countryside, go the B&amp;B route; if you want to cover a lot of ground or just want a quick nights stay, Travel Inn works well. <BR><BR>In London, I think I actually enjoyed the somewhat threadbare budget hotels; while I wouldn't put up with them in the US, they have an atmosphere that make me feel more a part of the city than a big hotel (cheap or expensive) does.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Tom

Thank you all for the helpful and timely responses. I appreciate the information.