Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel Inn, County Hall - Is this safe area to walk to sights from?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of staying at Travel Inn, County Hall. Would be travelling with my two children, not familiar with London. (21 years since last visit). Children are 14 and 11. Would like to walk to Westminster, Buckingham Palace etc. Is Convent Garden and Oxford St. within reasonable walking distance, don't mind alot of walking but don't want to waste much time; only in London for 36 hours. Any tips would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:12 PM

very safe, near to Westminster, Buckingham Palace. maybe a half hour, 45 minute walk to the other places you mention, or, you can always hop the tube.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:34 PM

This is one of the absolutely safest parts of London (but most areas are safe). it is directly across the rivers from Big Ben and Parliament.<BR><BR>Fly Girl's estimates seem a little long to me - Trafalgar Square or B'ham Palace is about a 10+ minute walk, Covent Garden would take 15 to 20 minutes.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:00 PM

but, but, they are dragging two kids! that always doubles your time.<BR><BR>;-)
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:02 PM

Ah, true, but they aren't little ones so they should be able to carry their own weight - and keep up.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:39 PM

The area is definitely safe and central, but I think it's a little inconvenient in some ways. I prefer places that are closer to the underground and have a little more in the way of pubs and shops around. County Hall just seems a bit dead to me, so we prefer smaller places around Kensington, Bloomsbury, or Paddington Station. The day pass for tube and busses is only around $5, and will get you from place to place quite nicely. <BR><BR>
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 08:32 PM

Hi, my family ( a 13 yr old and a 10 yr old) stayed at County Hall Travel Inn this past Dec 27 thru Jan 5th. It was perfect for us. Walked a number of times from Covent Garden at 10 PM in the cold and drizzle back to the hotel over the Waterloo bridge. Excellant view from the bridge and NEVER felt unsafe.. I found the buses easier to use than the metro and you get to see more scenery. Took the bus home from Greenwich and Harrod's as it was much easier than the Metro. Of course the London Eye is at your doorstep and it was an excellant attraction. It proved easy to time one's visit to the Eye because of the close proximity. Also the Imperial War Museum was an easy (15 min ) walk from the hotel. For the price ( about $125) it's been the best hotel value I've experienced. By the way my children LOVED Covent Garden.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 10:06 AM

Another voice echoing the opinion: walking from County Hall across Westminster Bridge to Parliament, the Abbey, Buckingham Palace, etc. is through one of the safest areas of London (which is a relatively &quot;safe&quot; city anyhow). <BR><BR>Covent Garden is a bit of a hike from the Travel Inn. Going towards Buckingham Palace, however, you can cut through beautiful St. James's Park and that makes the walk really pleasant. <BR><BR>Yes, the immediate area around this Travel Inn is short on pubs and the like, but that is outweighed by the convenience of the location for walking and sightseeing in the very center of London. <BR><BR>By the way, there are a few quick and less expensive places to eat around St. Thomas's hospital which is near County Hall, and also just downstream on the north side of Westminster Bridge. <BR><BR>Westminster is your closest Underground stop (Waterloo is not much further).<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>David White<BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com