Travel in Italy suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2022, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m planning to travel by train and/or bus from Rimini to Assisi over a period of 7 days in June. Here are some of the cities/towns I am considering: San Benedetto del Tronto, Ascoli Picena, Senigallia, Ancona, Spoleto, Spello, Nocera Umbro

Which ones would you stay in? Just spend a day? Skip?

We are more casual, outdoor, strolling around and absorbing the local atmosphere kind of people as opposed to spending the entire day in a museum.

Grazie mille!
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 12:01 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe forum
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 01:10 PM

To get a taste, I'd spend a full day for Spello and Assisi (less if churches aren't your thing); and 2 days for Spoleto. No help here for the others. Have only changed trains in Ancona. My DH and I stayed in Spoleto* and trained to Spello and Assisi. Others can say about the other towns. Going to be a busy week!

*Here's my TR which includes Spoleto: Turin, Spoleto, Bologna and Bellagio TR
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are the seven days you mention what you have between Rimini and Assisi? In other words, will you be staying in Assisi for a few days? If so, then I'd knock Spello off the list, as it's close to Assisi and you can see it from there.

Nocera Umbra - we only stopped for an hour or two here. It is pretty but seemed very small to me, and again, you could visit from Assisi.

I liked Spoleto and would consider staying there for a visit of a couple days or more, but I tend to have a car.

Of the other choices: Senigallia is absolutely wonderful, excellent restaurants, nice beach, funky seaside atmosphere, and small, interesting historic center.

Ascoli Piceno is stunning, but again, I had a car and we based there. This is a beautiful small city. Lots to do and see nearby.

We drove through San Benedetto del Tronto while there--not particularly attractive. Would definitely prefer Senigallia if you're looking to stay by the sea.

Last edited by Leely2; Jan 11th, 2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 06:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We spent two weeks in Spello and found it to be the perfect place for taking day trips in the region.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 07:58 PM

We based in Spello for four weeks this past September. Our lengthy trip report with many, many photos is here: Ultimate Umbria in 4 Weeks

The report covers many of the towns you mentioned. We have been to both San Benedetto del Tronto and Ascoli Piceno and agree with Leely that the former isn't worth it and Ascoli, where we once based, is a great spot.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TDudette
To get a taste, I'd spend a full day for Spello and Assisi (less if churches aren't your thing); and 2 days for Spoleto. No help here for the others. Have only changed trains in Ancona. My DH and I stayed in Spoleto* and trained to Spello and Assisi. Others can say about the other towns. Going to be a busy week!

*Here's my TR which includes Spoleto: Turin, Spoleto, Bologna and Bellagio TR
Originally Posted by whitehall
We based in Spello for four weeks this past September. Our lengthy trip report with many, many photos is here: Ultimate Umbria in 4 Weeks

The report covers many of the towns you mentioned. We have been to both San Benedetto del Tronto and Ascoli Piceno and agree with Leely that the former isn't worth it and Ascoli, where we once based, is a great spot.

Thanks to all who replied with such excellent information. This is exactly what I was looking for.
To visit all places I mentioned in a week is much too ambitious so i was trying to decide which ones to save for a future trip and which could be a good base to visit some of the others.

We have stayed in Assisi before and was planning to spend just a late afternoon/evening there before a train to Rome the next morning.

We love to make overnight stops in our favorite cities simply to stroll around and have dinner in a favorite restaurant. Orvieto always gets an overnight within every trip to Italy. But our favorite city in the world is Rome, where a month is never enough.

Thanks again to everyone for excellent insight
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 04:38 AM

"We have stayed in Assisi before and was planning to spend just a late afternoon/evening there before a train to Rome the next morning."------I've read that late p.m. (or early a.m.) photos of the town are especially lovely.