Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel Gear and Around the World planning

Feb 28th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Fodorites, I am looking to take a journey around the world and i'm looking for suggestions on travel gear. I am looking for a lightweight backpack as i only plan on bringing that and a 22" for my 60 day journey. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the pacsafe brand of products. It seems to be what i am looking for but I didn't want to make the investment without any recommendations. since i am female and travelling alone, i am looking for a backpack that you can't slash or cut the straps. I'm open to any suggestion.
Secondly, i am navigating the around the world planning without any agencies, i'm looking for suggestions there as well. so far, i'm piecing the trip together through oneworld for air and slowly cobbling the hotels. I'm wondering if i can get a better deal through the travel agencies. Thank you in advance.
Feb 28th, 2008, 08:06 PM

I did a ten month RTW using a One World award and lots and lots of trains. Itinerary and trip reports and packing list at www.wilhelmswords.com. I would not take a pacsafe because it would weigh too much. I took an Eagle Creek convertible backpack and a day pack. You shouldn't need to take a 22 inch and a backpack - one or the other. Valuables go in a money belt.
Feb 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! this is very helpful. I think the one i was looking at only weighed a lb. and is suppose to be a day pack. I wnated something a bit more heavy duty becuase i was going to allow myself the one luxury of a laptop. Is that a bad idea for this length of trip?
Also, i've noticed that you spent some time in europe, I was wondering if it's worth stopping in Munich? I plan on doing most of my travels in and out on rail but thought it wouldn't hurt to fly from munich to athens since it's a direct on the one world network. But the really dumb thing is i have to get routed through budapest both ways if i plan on going from athens to rome. urgh. While i'm a pro at travelling domestically, planning this around the world has my head spinning.
Feb 28th, 2008, 08:36 PM

I don't take a laptop - too heavy and too valuable. I use internet cafes instead. However, quite a few posters do take their laptops, but I don't think they bother with pacsafe day packs for them. Personally I think pacsafe is overkill, but if you feel you need that to keep your laptop you're likely better off leaving it at home.

I haven't been to Munich - I'm an Austria fan. But note that if you're using a One World RTW award you only get one land segment. It may work better to use a budget airline for one or two segments (see whichbudget.com.) Oh, and spending time in Budapest is not a bad thing!
Feb 29th, 2008, 07:15 AM

I am no expert on going RTW but I have traveled female/solo many times to many places. I think a 22" and a backpack and a laptop is way too much stuff to be dragging everywhere with you.

The easiest way to make yourself safe, is to not have things people would want to steal in the first place.

Feb 29th, 2008, 08:03 AM

"The easiest way to make yourself safe, is to not have things people would want to steal in the first place." So true, suze. The only thing I carry outside my money belt that I would really hate to lose is my camera, and I don't think that would fit, lol.
Feb 29th, 2008, 09:02 AM

heck, I use disposable cameras myself (lol). I know that wouldn't suit many people, but supplemented with purchased postcards, is a reliable and hassle free method of documenting my trips.
Feb 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM

I don't think taking the laptop is a good idea, like others said there are plenty of internet cafes.
If a pacsafe daypack makes you feel better, then why not. But do not be lulled into a false sense of security--the most important stuff goes in a money belt. I use a day pack for jackets, books, water, etc.--things I can livewithout if snatched (an unlikely event). I am fond of Overland Equipment bags.
Frankly I'd be worrying more about the suitcase--like am I going to be able to roll it everywhere, lift it, fit it on the place without checking, etc.
Feb 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM

I think a 'pacsafe' would call attention to itself, plus only offers security in certain situations (like someone slashing with a knife). If someone grabs your bag and runs off with it... doesn't matter.

I would focus more on a bag that is comfortable for you to wear and feels secure. Maybe a messenger style bag so you're wearing it across your body, instead of behind you (as a daypack).

Feb 29th, 2008, 09:51 AM

We go RTW pretty much every year or two, and rely on (me) a 22" roller and a rolling computer case, and (she) a 22" roller and a zipper tote. We each pack a day bag or light backpack in our rollers. I always bring my computer for emailing, downloading photos, Skype calls, and for finding accommodation at the next stop.

We travel with middling structure - "first nights" booked in advance (i.e. so we don't need to arrive in City X in Time Zone Y and immediately try to find a place to stay while the jetlag wears off) - but then go somewhat more unstructured for overland portions, using the web to find places on a more "real-time" basis. Works for us; can't say it will work for everyone.

Especially in places where travel safety and security is an issue, we try to go for accommodations with in-room safes, for passports, cameras at night, computer while we're out and about, etc. We try never to wander the souk with things in the daypacks that would be irreplaceable or trip-altering if lost or stolen.

Travel insurance is another must-do for us. Cheap when set against the alternatives.