Budapest and Munich day trips

Nov 10th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Budapest and Munich day trips

Hi, My husband and I will spend 4 days Budapest then 4 or 5 in Munich. Would love to take some day trips while in both of these cities...any suggestions? Also, do you suggest train or car for getting from Hungary to Germany?
Thank you for your help.
Nov 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Also, we'd love to rent studio apartments in these cities to keep costs down. Do you have suggestions on the best source of information for this?
Nov 10th, 2007, 05:21 PM

This is one place I used in Budapest: http://www.ohb.hu/alfa/index.en.html

The place I rented was on Erkel street. Modern building, apartment recently fitted out (late 2005), good price, good location -- near to stuff, but a quiet street.
Nov 14th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Padraig, I'll definitely check that out!
Nov 14th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Visiting Munich note that you must spend at least 3 whole days seeing the city. It's really wonderfull (you must visit Enghish garden, Deutches museum, Nuphemburg palace, Dahau concetration camp etc.).
If you want to have day trips away from Munich you can spend a day going to Innsbruck Austria and the Alps. Also you can visit the Bavarian castles (Neuschwanstein is a must) and the countryside around Munich (with some lakes).
Nov 15th, 2007, 07:18 AM

There is (now) one direct EuroCity train service, leaving Budapest at 13:10 and arriving in Munich at 20:34.
This can be a nice trip in summer when there is enough light during the whole trip to see the landscape. But it takes almost 7 1/2 hours.

Besides that one direct service, there are many connections every day with one or two transfers en route.

A (rental) car will probably much more costly due to international drop-off charges.

Currently there seems to be no real low cost airlines with services from BUD to MUC, but their route networks often change so you could check again when your trip is due.
Nov 15th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Another great daytrip from Munich is Salzburg and it is very easy on the train since you won't need a car there. It is a delightful town and most everything you will want to see is in a pretty small area.