Reload this Page >

Travel from Windermere to N. Wales

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 03:16 AM
Ray

I'm in the early planning stages of a four-week trip to the UK. One week each in the Lake District, Wales, Scotland, & Ireland. Is it possible to travel from Windermere to the North Wales area (from posts on this board it sounds as though North Wales is the best area to visit)? I'm renting a car in Ireland, so didn't want to rent also in England. Is there bus/train travel between the Lakes and Wales? Thanks.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 03:52 AM
Gordon R

These are both very rural areas, so not having a car will certainly be a limitation, especially if you want to see some of the more remote and beautiful scenery. You can get from the Lake District to N Wales by train but not directly (check out www.thetrainline.com for details). For example Oxenholme to Betws-y-coed takes around 3.5 hours with 2 or 3 stops).<BR><BR>An alternative might be to base yourself in, say, the Manchester area and take day tours by coach to each destination on separate days. These run daily during the summer months.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 06:38 AM
tom

We were based in Llandudno for 5 day's using the local bus service. We bought a 3-day pass and somehow managed to see Snowdonia, Caernarfon, Conwy and some of Anglesey. We drove past Betws-y-Coed once but unfortunately it was to late for a stop. Betws-y-Coed had very limited bus service and use of car is recommended. I think buses run more frequent in June-august. At first we were thinking of splitting our time in Llandudno but we were very pleased with our hosts at a local B&amp;B and ended up staying there for the whole trip before returning by coach to London. Caernarfon was nice but we really fell in love with Conwy<BR><BR>Arrivas cymru-lines:<BR>http://www.arriva.co.uk/REAL/web/Arr...en&amp;noflash

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:41 AM
tom

One can get from Betws-y-Coed to Conwy and Landudno with changes of buses at Llanrwst. We found so much to do in Wales and were very sorry to leave.<BR>I have not been to Scotland &amp; Ireland yet, but Wales was popular by Irish tourist. I believe they took a ferry directly from Ireland to Wales.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Alan

A speedboat is running from Dublin to Anglesey, North Wales. Trip takes 1 hour 40 min.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Joe

Ray(. There is so much to see in this area of England/Wales. You have plenty of time, but you will waste a lot of it making connections and waiting for the next bus/train. If you can swing it, a car is much preferred for the flexability to stop where you choose IMHO (stopping at Cerrigydrudion on the way to Betws-y-Coed and taking the A4085 from Caernarfron to Penrhyndendraeth as examples).

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Dave

I also really like Conwy - one of my favorite places after half a dozen trips to Britain. Impressive Castle and wonderful medieval walled town.<BR><BR>The Conwy Valley Railway leaves the main coastal line at Llandudno Junction just across the river from Conwy Castle. This is a scenic trip into the Snowdonian Mountains via Betwys, which is a common tourist destination. I passed on through to stop at Dolwyddellan, which is a tiny slate-roofed village with one of the few non-English-built castles in Wales. If you're interested in Welsh history and Llewellyn Fawr, it's definitely worth visiting. Plus the views are great.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:33 AM
flygirl

definitely take a car. stunning scenery, and you will want to be able to explore. you can get from one place to the other in less than half a day if memory serves.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Ben Haines

Busses run beside the mountains in both areas. <BR><BR>Typical rail connections on a weekday are these. Windermere 0905, Oxenholme 0925 to 0955, buffet car train, Crewe 1206 to 1230, refreshments on board, Bangor 1442<BR>Windermere 1001, buffet car train, Manchester Piccadilly 1157 to 1217, refreshments on board, Llandudno 1429. Less than half a day, and no long wait at Manchester.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be touring York, and need to get to Windermere to join the Coast to Coast walking group. Preliminary checking does not show a great way to get there in a timely manner. So I am considering renting a car. Any thoughts or recommendations??
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 11:26 AM
ron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would take the train if it were me. With departures roughly once an hour and travel time of under 3.5 hrs., it seems easier than renting a car and driving.