Is Bucine a good Tuscan base?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking into Tenuta di Lupinari and Borgo Iesolana near Bucine but I don't find a lot of opinions about either property. I was thinking that maybe from here I can see towns from SanG to Pienza. Am I being realistic?
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 06:02 AM
rex

I stayed in an even smaller village (well, in a villa just outside of it), called Ambra, which is just about 5 km further down the road from Bucine. This is fairly isolated form any of the "famous" areas in Tuscany. That might be good or just mean more driving for you, so I won't say if it is good or bad. Depends on your perspective. Ambra is truly just a village. Bucine is more like a true town, with a supermarket etc., and maybe a Senor Frog's (of Cancun fame, but this is one is NOT at all over-run by "foreigners"/tourists).

We got a VERY good deal there (Ambra) and price was an important factor for our group of 13 (7 bedroom villa for about $2000 the week, if I remember correctly). In 1998.

San G is the better part of an hour, Siena 30-40 minutes, Florence over an hour. Not intending to discourage, nor encourage you.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rex. We were thinking of doing 5 days in Southern Tuscany and then 2 days in Florence itself. Do you know the driving time from Bucine to Pienza or Montalcino?
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 01:20 PM
rex

No, but I'm sure you can find it on www.viamichelin.com or www.mappy.com
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 11:28 AM

My husband and I stayed with another couple at Lupinari this past June and loved it! It's even more beautiful than the pictures on their website. Getting around was easy - it's only 20 miles to Siena, and about an hour to Florence. The restaurant there is excellent - when we stayed there dinner with all the wine/water you could drink was about $30 pp. The owners were very gracious and eager to please. Newly converted borgo so all is new.

We used the laundry service in Bucine as well as the grocery store - excellent beef and sausages which we cooked out on the grill a couple of nights. There's also a very nice local restaurant towards Siena (away from Bucine) that serves mostly locals and has an excellent menu (pizza from a brick oven for me!).

We also did day trips to Cortona, Deruta, Radda, Montipulciano (sp?), with ease. We've stayed other places in Tuscany (closer to Siena as well as in Lucca) and think very highly of this area. You won't be disappointed.

Ciao . . .